Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what does your contract say?

Comment

my dresses were custom order, made specifically for my bridesmaids. Each one made a special trip to see the seamstress for the initial and then again for the final fitting. I got my moneys worth...everything lined up, fit perfectly. While the girls will never wear them again, I know that they looked very nice in the dresses and that the money paid was worth the work given.

I would not pay if they were not wearable the day of the wedding....and by wearable, I don't mean held up with clothes pins, safety pins or duct tape. Poor fit is one thing....not having proper seaming, zippers, etc. is not acceptable...

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
        i would think that null and void if they fail to deliver the agreed upon product. at least that what i have learned from Judge Judy!

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
          I have no idea if there is a contract. I never asked my wife. I have stayed out of it and didn't know everything until after the wedding.

Funny thing, they found the person on Craigslist of all places.
          Originally posted by centexchick View Post
          my dresses were custom order, made specifically for my bridesmaids. Each one made a special trip to see the seamstress for the initial and then again for the final fitting. I got my moneys worth...everything lined up, fit perfectly. While the girls will never wear them again, I know that they looked very nice in the dresses and that the money paid was worth the work given.

I would not pay if they were not wearable the day of the wedding....and by wearable, I don't mean held up with clothes pins, safety pins or duct tape. Poor fit is one thing....not having proper seaming, zippers, etc. is not acceptable...

They were fitted like 3 times. The women even brought some type of sample fitting for all of them to try to make sure everything was in order.

I think she ran out of time. But that is just a guess on my part.

Comment

Shit happens, man. She may have had some sort of emergency and didn't have time to finish them properly, but t's still no excuse for not offering an explanation. Were the dresses paid for by the bride or the bridesmaids? If your wife was responsible for her dress and doesn't fork over her portion, you can probably eventually count that friendship toast if the seamstress comes after the bride for the money.

Comment

Rate the quality of work. If you think it was about 40% quality, pay her 40% of the bill.
              I think his point is that the fish got low balled, fucked in the catfish asshole and you paid half price. The worst part was the fish explaining to his fish friends why his asshole smelled like redneck

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                Shit happens, man. She may have had some sort of emergency and didn't have time to finish them properly, but t's still no excuse for not offering an explanation. Were the dresses paid for by the bride or the bridesmaids? If your wife was responsible for her dress and doesn't fork over her portion, you can probably eventually count that friendship toast if the seamstress comes after the bride for the money.
                The bride paid for part of her dress and the material, so she still owes the woman something.

The bridesmaids were paying seperate. It will definitely be an interesting situation if she does come looking for her money.

Comment

Originally posted by Blame Canada View Post
                  Rate the quality of work. If you think it was about 40% quality, pay her 40% of the bill.
                  I wish I could pay my taxes that way

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                    My wife was in a wedding this weekend in which the dresses were made from scratch. The woman made the dresses half ass and delivered them an hour before the wedding. Nothing fits right, one of them wasn't even really complete. They basically had to use some clothes pens to keep them together.

The woman was late bringing the dresses and then when she got there she dropped them off, and said she had to go to her car, and then never came back.

So the question is, technically they took delivery and have not paid yet. So, are we technically still going to have to pay her? It is not worth going to court over, just an interesting scenario.

What is the normal procedure on something like this?
                    NOPE, don't pay a dime.

Keep the dresses as evidence of the "workmanship" if she tries to take you to small claims court. Other than that just blow her off
                    Originally posted by Vertnut
                    I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

I had something similar at my wedding. The wife had a seamstress doing her dress and the lady cut herself and bled all over the dress. Huge blotches of blood dried all over it when we got it back the day before the wedding. I had to go shopping 24 hours before to find a dress that would fit and the old lady was paid before the work was finished.

I wouldn't pay if you didn't get what you asked for.
                      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by MutherjuggZ View Post
                        NOPE, don't pay a dime.

Keep the dresses as evidence of the "workmanship" if she tries to take you to small claims court. Other than that just blow her off
                        Seriously?

Maybe she was so busy collecting payment in small claims court from some other asswipe that didn't pay, that she didn't have the time or money to finish your dresses on time.

Sounds like she made a commitment that she could not keep. She should have insisted that payment be made 50% up front and 50% on final delivery acceptance.

Your wife also owns a piece of this. She should have demanded that if the dress was not completed and accepted by a specific date, that she would have recourse to back out of the deal and go to another seamstress.

This shit is all-too-common with weddings. Everyone is ready to splurge on "her day" and that brings all the creeps and leeches out of the woodwork.
                        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                          Seriously?

Maybe she was so busy collecting payment in small claims court from some other asswipe that didn't pay, that she didn't have the time or money to finish your dresses on time.
                          If she were doing quality work / workmanship, why would she be in court?

It is no one's fault but the dress maker for not being ready. It seems to me like a bride knows far enough in advance when her big day will be, that the dress maker would have the same ample notification / time allowed to do the work.

It was the dress makers responsibility to speak up if she was over worked, or short on time. That's not the role or responsibility of anyone else since she accepted the job.

She is out money on materials that never materialized into actual useable clothing, but again the results are the way they are because of her lack of planning, timing, etc. Why would any bride, groom, bridesmaid, or humanbeing on earth pay for that amount of incompetence?
                          Originally posted by Vertnut
                          I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

weddings = overpriced dress up parties
                            sigpic

Comment

The bride and her bridesmaids need to contact the woman and let them know they were displeased with the dresses. She knows she messed up, and if she takes any pride in her craft, she probably won't charge.

The responsible, "CYA" thing to do is contact her, return the dresses, and get a written statement releasing the bride and her attendants from financial responsibility. Even if they're out the material, they made do with the dresses for ceremony and wedding pics.

Comment

I'm interested in who let it come down to an HOUR before the wedding to get her wedding dress?? Surely that can't be normal or acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                                X