Lowest of the low - officer stealing from deptmental widow's fund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowest of the low - officer stealing from deptmental widow's fund

Here's a young man who needs to be beat with a horse whip.

Former Parker County deputy accused of stealing from fund for colleague's widow and child

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05...#ixzz1LiDc8A7A

WEATHERFORD -- A former Parker County sheriff's deputy accused of stealing from a memorial fund set up for the family of a fellow deputy has been indicted on felony theft charges.

A Parker County grand jury returned an indictment Thursday charging Seth Aaron Miller, 29, of Springtown with 11 thefts between January and March from a fund established for the widow and child of Sgt. Rusty Arnold, who was killed in an off-duty wreck in December.

Each time, $500 to $1,500 was taken from the fund, according to the indictment.

Miller, who was hired in October 2005, was fired March 30, Sheriff Larry Fowler said.

An arrest warrant was issued Friday. Miller "plans to turn himself in accompanied by his attorney in Fort Worth," Fowler said late Friday.

Bail has been set at $7,500, and Miller will be required to wear an electronic monitor if released on bail, a prosecutor said.

Miller declined to comment about the indictment when reached by phone Friday afternoon.

Fort Worth attorney Jim Lane, who is advising Miller, said Friday afternoon that he hadn't seen the indictment and had no comment.

The charge is a state jail felony with a maximum sentence of two years in jail and a fine up to $10,000.

Miller was a close friend of Arnold and his family and established the fund shortly after Arnold's death, Assistant District Attorney Robert DuBoise said. Donations were collected at a Springtown bank and at the Parker County Sheriff's Department.

When Miller turned control of the fund over to Arnold's family, Arnold's mother believed that the account had less money than had been donated, DuBoise said.

Rangers called in

On March 31, Fowler issued a statement that Texas Rangers had been asked to investigate. A spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Public Safety declined Friday to provide information about the investigation, including exactly how much is believed to be missing.

Arnold, 32, was fatally injured Dec. 13 in a collision in Springtown. He died Dec. 21.

He had begun working at the Sheriff's Department in June 2001 and was promoted to corporal in October 2006 and to sergeant in 2008.

Miller worked as a law officer in Reno and Jacksboro before joining the Parker County Sheriff's Department, according to state records, which list his name as Aaron Seth Miller.

The records show no disciplinary actions on his license.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05...#ixzz1LiDc8A7A

I got my first ticket in Parker county. This guy should definitely do jail time.

Comment

And people talk about a lack of compassion in our local police departments, pffffft.

Comment

Fucking Paladin!

Comment

That guy needs a blanket party before sentencing.

Comment

was this osiris?

Comment

Make him do restitution for the family while wearing a sign saying he stole from the widow's fund AS an officer
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
                Miller "plans to turn himself in accompanied by his attorney in Fort Worth," Fowler said late Friday.

Bail has been set at $7,500, and Miller will be required to wear an electronic monitor if released on bail, a prosecutor said.
                Okay, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but he had bail set before he turned himself in?

Stevo
                Originally posted by SSMAN
                ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                  Okay, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but he had bail set before he turned himself in?

Stevo
                  Not uncommon for non-onsite arrests. Hope he gets the full sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post

Stevo
                    When u take an arrest warrant to a judge or magistrate, they set the bond when they sign the warrant into effect.

Comment

Hmm, learned something new.

Stevo
                      ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                        I got my first ticket in Parker county. This guy should definitely do jail time.
                        If he's stupid enough to set it for trial the good people of Parker County on the jury will break a stick off in his ass.

And I agree with trublu. A lengthy blanket party is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
                          If he's stupid enough to set it for trial the good people of Parker County on the jury will break a stick off in his ass.

And I agree with trublu. A lengthy blanket party is in order.
                          This was many years ago (I was 16), but we got popped by an officer coming the other way doing well over the posted limit. We weren't hauling ass (it was a 4 cylinder 87 LX), but apparently fast enough to catch the officer's attention. My passenger convinced me to pull off the road and turn my lights off. The officers showed up shortly and had us prone on the car, scared as shit. We got to the lakehouse a little late, with everybody asking what had happened. The officer told (screamed at) us that he could take us to jail for what we did. He let us on our way, and as we left we realized that we pulled off on the road directly adjacent to the police station.

Comment

so 2 years total for theft wow

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                              so 2 years total for theft wow
                              11 counts of felony theft. Seems a bit light to me.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                              X