Stop signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
    If I can clearly see there is no one coming and there is not a cop, then there is no reason to stop.
    This...

Comment

I stop completely and behind the line because with my luck, if I don't, it will be the one time a cop is lurking out of my sight.

There are several intersections here that are blind if you stop behind the line, but I typically come to a complete stop behind the line, then roll up to where I can actually see. I have no idea if that's legal or not.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
        My son just got a ticket yesterday for this. Apparently there is a 3 second rule explained by the cop. The officer agreed that he made a complete stop, but failed to count to 3. WTF! Really?
        Stop, then count:
        1 mississippi-2 mississippi-3 mississippi
        Proceed (if safe to do so)

Old defensive driving tip.

Comment

slow and roll, I'm not a fucking robot
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

No coppy no stoppy... if the sign is in a stupid location where there is never any traffic... i slow down, look for cop or for other car, and roll on out.
            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
              Stop, then count:
              1 mississippi-2 mississippi-3 mississippi
              Proceed (if safe to do so)

Old defensive driving tip.
              I always thought it was 2 seconds, but never thought it as "law".
              Photobucket

Comment

The ones with the white outline are optional. No apologies for all caps
                DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

My son just got a ticket yesterday for this. Apparently there is a 3 second rule explained by the cop. The officer agreed that he made a complete stop, but failed to count to 3. WTF! Really?
                  Damn. He agreed that the kid stopped, but still wrote a ticket instead of issuing a warning?! That's a pretty dickheaded move on the officer's part. I'd fight that one, too. It's not a law, just a suggestion, as someone else stated.

Comment

if cops dont stop when not running on code, why should the rest of us?

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman85turbo View Post
                      if cops dont stop when not running on code, why should the rest of us?
                      Because it's the law you Goober.

Comment

With a stop sign, I stop long enough to check that someone is not about to cross my line of travel. Whether that is someone about to turn from an opposite lane or someone who is about to run the stop sign or light. Or a pedestrian (jogger, kid w/ dog, etc)Generally, that means I've come to a complete stop for a good couple of seconds.

I've nearly been run down 4 times in the last few years by people not paying a damn bit of attention to stoplights or signs, so I am not as concerned with min/maxing my time at a stop sign. I'm far more concerned about the dumbfucks who may nearly kill me because they are too busy doing anything BUT driving.

Comment

I always thought it was 2 seconds, but never thought it as "law".
                          It's not, it just assures a complete stop.

Comment

Sec. 544.010. STOP SIGNS AND YIELD SIGNS.
                            (a) Unless directed to proceed by a police officer or traffic-control signal, the operator of a vehicle or streetcar approaching an intersection with a stop sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).
                            (b) If safety requires, the operator of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).
                            (c) An operator required to stop by this section shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. In the absence of a crosswalk, the operator shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop at the place nearest the intersecting roadway where the operator has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway.
                            Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Please show me where it says that a stop must consist of a 3 second complete cessation of movement?

As long as I've been doing this, there is no statutory requirement for any amout of time you must stop, just that you must come to a complete stop, nor is there a definition of "stop" in the transportation code. This "officer" needs to get a grip.

Comment

i pretty much always do. not because i think its necessary just because the police like to mess with people who do roll throughs. i dont have the time or money for that crap

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                                Sec. 544.010. STOP SIGNS AND YIELD SIGNS.
                                (a) Unless directed to proceed by a police officer or traffic-control signal, the operator of a vehicle or streetcar approaching an intersection with a stop sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).
                                (b) If safety requires, the operator of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).
                                (c) An operator required to stop by this section shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. In the absence of a crosswalk, the operator shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop at the place nearest the intersecting roadway where the operator has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway.
                                Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Please show me where it says that a stop must consist of a 3 second complete cessation of movement?

As long as I've been doing this, there is no statutory requirement for any amout of time you must stop, just that you must come to a complete stop, nor is there a definition of "stop" in the transportation code. This "officer" needs to get a grip.
                                There are always 2 sides of the story and I just happen to know this cop.

According to my son and his gf the officer said he had seen him do this 3 times now, but this time he had a officer in training and didn't want to chance getting written up. He said, "Shawn, I have to right it this time."

He's not a dickhead cop. Always been good to us.
                                Photobucket

Comment

Working...
                                X