Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada might have a redeeming quality after all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada might have a redeeming quality after all.

Headed to Austin, BRB.

A Canadian police officer's 'slut' comment sparks a wave of protest marches called "SlutWalks" across north America.

'SlutWalk' marches sparked by Toronto officer's remarks

Protesters say they are reclaiming the word "slut"
    A new protest movement sparked by a policeman's ill-judged advice to women students to "avoid dressing like sluts" has taken root in the US and Canada.

Thousands of people - some dressed in jeans, others more provocatively - are taking part in marches, or "SlutWalks".

The aim, say organisers, is to highlight a culture in which the victim rather than rapist or abuser is blamed.

A "SlutWalk" in Toronto last month attracted some 3,000 people. A similar event is due to take place in Boston.

Nearly 2,500 people have signed up via Facebook to attend Saturday's march in Boston.

Boston organiser Siobhan Connors explained: "The event is in protest of a culture that we think is too permissive when it comes to rape and sexual assault."

"It's to bring awareness to the shame and degradation women still face for expressing their sexuality... essentially for behaving in a healthy and sexual way," the 20-year-old told Associated Press.

Workshops
    Police officer Constable Michael Sanguinetti had been giving a talk on health and safety to a group of students at Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto when he made the now infamous remarks.

"You know, I think we're beating around the bush here," he reportedly told them. "I've been told I'm not supposed to say this - however, women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimised".

He has since apologised for his remarks and has been disciplined by the Toronto police, but remains on duty.

Meanwhile, his remarks have led to "SlutWalks" not only in Toronto but also in Dallas, Asheville in North Carolina, and in the Canadian capital, Ottawa.

As well as Boston, marches are also planned in Seattle, Chicago, Philadelphia, Reno and Austin.

The SlutWalk Toronto website says the aim of the movement is to "re-appropriate" the world slut.

"Being in charge of our sexual lives should not mean that we are opening ourselves to an expectation of violence, regardless if we participate in sex for pleasure or work," it says.

Everybody, from singles, couples, parents, sisters, brothers, children and friends, are encouraged to join the marches.

The rallies typically end with speakers and workshops on stopping sexual violence and calling on law enforcement agencies not to blame victims after sexual assaults, the Associated Press reports.

If they have funnel cakes and semensickles, my mother in law is in!

Comment

You "express" your sexuality, and then get offended when you are wanted for sex. Mmmkay.

I think I'll post a list of contents on my apartment door, and then cry foul when I am robbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
        You "express" your sexuality, and then get offended when you are wanted for sex. Mmmkay.

I think I'll post a list of contents on my apartment door, and then cry foul when I am robbed.
        Exactly. I have the right to walk through the projects at night in a suit and tie, but if I did I would be a fucking moron.

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
          Exactly. I have the right to walk through the projects at night in a suit and tie, but if I did I would be a fucking moron.
          Why would you be a moron? Because you expect to be treated like everyone should be treated?

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
            Why would you be a moron? Because you expect to be treated like everyone should be treated?
            Surely you can see a disconnect here..
            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Hooray sluts, the world needs more of them.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Looks more like a skanky ass ho walk to me...

What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                  You must know that there is a huge difference between how someone should be treated and how people are treated in the real world.

I walk into the projects in a suit and tie and I have a huge target on my back. Should I? No. Do I? Duh. This is nearly an identical situation to women walking around in certain areas barely dressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-3...utwalk-toronto
                    Truth! Out of all of them in those pictures, there are 3 "maybe"s and the rest fall into the "not even on a bet" category.
                    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                      Can you read?
                      The aim, say organisers, is to highlight a culture in which the victim rather than rapist or abuser is blamed.

Here, in case you missed it again, I've bolded the important part.

They WANT to be wanted for sex. They DON'T WANT to be raped or sexually abused. I know it's a fine line, but I genuinely hope that some of you morons can grasp the concept.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Damn there are a BUNCH of fat ugly bitches there, They should have nothing to worry about.

Comment

I can't imagine a single person blames the victim for being raped. It may be that they put themselves in a dangerous situation (and this is what people such as the cop in the original story are ADVISING against), but all the blame obviously goes to the rapist.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-3...utwalk-toronto

Go ugly early. There were a couple of possible 7s in there. It is Canada, we're talking about. Maybe the Texas offspins will have a better selection. I bet Mild Bill is frantically wanking all over his keyboard at a couple of those beasts.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                              Can you read?

Here, in case you missed it again, I've bolded the important part.

They WANT to be wanted for sex. They DON'T WANT to be raped or sexually abused. I know it's a fine line, but I genuinely hope that some of you morons can grasp the concept.
                              I read just fine. In any case of rape or sexual assault, the perpetrator (sp) is 100% to blame. Just like if I were to advertise the contents of my apartment, the guy that breaks in is 100% culpable for the theft.

You're not gonna see me in a march expressing my desire to wear a big watch in public without being targeted for a hold up.

Comment

Working...
                              X