No announcement yet.

Yay, another tipping thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A trend that to get people to do their job, you have to bribe them with gifts?

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
      Do you work harder if you know that your boss has your back if you need something... like a raise, time off, etc?

Comment

I just like to tip, I also tip the Mexicans that mow my lawn
        Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
          Do you work harder if you know that your boss has your back if you need something... like a raise, time off, etc?
          Oh, i'm totally bribable.

Comment

Oh, i'm totally bribable.

I just like to make sure that the people that I might depend on for service remember me in a good way.

Comment

I can't pay bills with beer!

On a more serious note, I tend to only tip where jobs require/expect it such as bar tending or waiting tables.

On a greater, much more serious note, I don't go to places that require tips out of the normal things I mentioned above.
              Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
              Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                I can't pay bills with beer!
                It's funny you say that, but when you drop off a cold 12 pack an hour before closing time, many people seem much more gracious than if you had just handed them a 10$ bill.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                  It's funny you say that, but when you drop off a cold 12 pack an hour before closing time, many people seem much more gracious than if you had just handed them a 10$ bill.
                  I would be pissed if I ran a business and someone brought me beer as payment. BUT, that is just the cheapskate talking. Side work on a buddy buddy level is another story though. Just my opinion...
                  Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

It's alot easier to justify tipping in the scenarios that Adam described, as anybody will work harder/better for someone they like. In some instances a kind word can go a long way to getting better service.

As an example I had rented a rug doctor to clean up Saylees "spot" in the bedroom, and had to go out of town suddenly. Knowing that they charge an exhorbitant daily fee for these things, I went in prepared to shell out a pretty penny to return it. After some kind-hearted conversation about how the extra fees were gonna be more than buying the machine new, and without expectation, she logged that I had it only an extra day. Had it been appropriate, I would have given her a big tip.

In alot of cases though, there's no opportunity for personal interaction, so you have to let the $$$ speak for you. Especially at a place like a car wash that you know you'll return to. A decent tip get's you and your car remembered, and you will recieve tip top service from then on, as long as you're willing to tip for it.

If you're too cheap to tip for a hand drying, then go to the local gas station, get a car wash, and dry it yourself.

Comment

I would be pissed if I ran a business and someone brought me beer as payment. BUT, that is just the cheapskate talking. Side work on a buddy buddy level is another story though. Just my opinion...
                      Not payment, homey. TIP. As in I paid them for the job, and showed gratitude with frosty beverages.

Comment

On a similar note, what about places like Starbucks, where they have a tip jar at the register? To me that's no different than walking into a BK or Macdonalds, and seeing a jar of ones on the counter. I suppose that a frappamachiato on ice with a whip can be made better or worse, but I am buying a cup of coffee, not an artist's interpretation of caffiene with a flair.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                          It's alot easier to justify tipping in the scenarios that Adam described, as anybody will work harder/better for someone they like. In some instances a kind word can go a long way to getting better service.

As an example I had rented a rug doctor to clean up Saylees "spot" in the bedroom, and had to go out of town suddenly. Knowing that they charge an exhorbitant daily fee for these things, I went in prepared to shell out a pretty penny to return it. After some kind-hearted conversation about how the extra fees were gonna be more than buying the machine new, and without expectation, she logged that I had it only an extra day. Had it been appropriate, I would have given her a big tip.

In alot of cases though, there's no opportunity for personal interaction, so you have to let the $$$ speak for you. Especially at a place like a car wash that you know you'll return to. A decent tip get's you and your car remembered, and you will recieve tip top service from then on, as long as you're willing to tip for it.

If you're too cheap to tip for a hand drying, then go to the local gas station, get a car wash, and dry it yourself.

I don't think what you mentioned is on the same lines of what Adam described or the same as someone drying off your car. It sounds like they desrved a tip due to changing or altering your original payment to make it cheaper. Yes, I would agree to the tip. It is sort of the same thing as getting the hook up on drinks. The money you would have spent on extra alcohol goes to the person.

I see it to a point, the tipping that is but where do you draw the line. In my opinion because someone makes minimum wage is not a valid reason to tip someone busting their ass..... The exception is waiting tables and bar tending, places that are known for receiving tips regardless of where you are located.

Comment

On a similar note, what about places like Starbucks, where they have a tip jar at the register? To me that's no different than walking into a BK or Macdonalds, and seeing a jar of ones on the counter. I suppose that a frappamachiato on ice with a whip can be made better or worse, but I am buying a cup of coffee, not an artist's interpretation of caffiene with a flair.
                            I don't tip there either.

It seems tipping has really evolved into tipping everyone and their momma. The car wash people, starbucks people, grocery store baggers.

What about laundry services?

Should I tip a car salesman?

Comment

I see it to a point, the tipping that is but where do you draw the line. In my opinion because someone makes minimum wage is not a valid reason to tip someone busting their ass..... The exception is waiting tables and bar tending, places that are known for receiving tips regardless of where you are located.
                              I see it from your side too, you're paying for an expected service. Life has blessed me with the means to live a comfortable life though, and my tipping is a way to let them know that I appreciate the work that they do for minimal payment. I guess I consider it to be "paying it forward."

My taxes are already rewarding the lazy and stupid, why not show appreciation to somebody that works hard for their money?

Comment

I see it from your side too, you're paying for an expected service. Life has blessed me with the means to live a comfortable life though, and my tipping is a way to let them know that I appreciate the work that they do for minimal payment. I guess I consider it to be "paying it forward."

My taxes are already rewarding the lazy and stupid, why not show appreciation to somebody that works hard for their money?
                                That pretty much sums it up.

I do not tip at Starbucks, etc. because the potential for them to go out of their way next time is nil. What are they going to do, use organic milk for my coffee?

Comment

Working...
                                X