Bye bye Boss 302, and Laguna Seca...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye bye Boss 302, and Laguna Seca...

It looks like 8 Houston-bound 302's (5 Boss's and 3 LS's were thrashed in a train derailment, and are headed for the crusher.

**Update** – We have an email into Ford PR who is checking on the validity of the rumor.? Will update you when I get more. A train derailment in Corsicana, Texas (south of Dallas) back on April 26th may have destroyed some very precious cargo in the way of five 2012 Mustang Boss 302’s and three Laguna Seca edition models.? A Union Pacific freight train traveling with 75 rail cars and three locomotives derailed on its way to Spring, Texas […]

**Update** – We have an email into Ford PR who is checking on the validity of the rumor. Will update you when I get more.

A train derailment in Corsicana, Texas (south of Dallas) back on April 26th may have destroyed some very precious cargo in the way of five 2012 Mustang Boss 302’s and three Laguna Seca edition models. A Union Pacific freight train traveling with 75 rail cars and three locomotives derailed on its way to Spring, Texas (Houston area) where it was delivering vehicles to area dealerships. There is a rumor those vehicles included eight new Mustang Boss models but we have yet to confirm it with Ford.

Over on theMustangSource forums a member posted the unlikely news and said his brother received a call from a Houston Ford Dealership where he ordered his Laguna Seca model to break the bad news. Even more bad news is those damaged vehicles will likely meet the crusher without having any chance of being parted out. According to another forum member when vehicles are involved in transport accidents those vehicles are crushed and replacement vehicles are built in their place typically on a fast track order.

The railcars involved had an alphanumeric reading of ETTX850137 and another of ETTX700791 which was laying on its side.

If you are in the Houston, Texas area and have ordered a 2012 Mustang Boss 302 you might want to check the status as it may have been damaged.

Check back for updates as they come in.

Ouch!
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
    George Orwell

Comment

$100 to the person who gives me accurate info on which JY the cars are being sent to.

An extra $100 if you know someone in said yard that can get me a drivetrain.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
        $100 to the person who gives me accurate info on which JY the cars are being sent to.

An extra $100 if you know someone in said yard that can get me a drivetrain.
        Per the article the cars won't be offered for parts, they'll be crushed. I suppose anything's possible with a friend or two in the biz.

Comment

now why do they HAVE to be crushed?

Comment

Originally posted by 78X View Post
            now why do they HAVE to be crushed?
            My guess is that Ford doesn't want to invest the time/personnel in parting them out, and selling them whole is too much of a liability. I would think at the very least they could action them wholesale with salvaged titles to recoup some of the loss, but maybe they don't want the VINs out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
              My guess is that Ford doesn't want to invest the time/personnel in parting them out, and selling them whole is too much of a liability. I would think at the very least they could action them wholesale with salvaged titles to recoup some of the loss, but maybe they don't want the VINs out there.
              The railroad will buy them, crush them than burry em. Seen it done countless times. One time it was 20 escalades.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
                The railroad will buy them, crush them than burry em. Seen it done countless times. One time it was 20 escalades.
                So they cover them in burrs, and then re-sell them?

Seriously though, what's the reasoning behind it though? Burying evidence of their screw-up?

Comment

So they cover them in burrs, and then re-sell them?

Seriously though, what's the reasoning behind it though? Burying evidence of their screw-up?
                  Railroads dont want the liability of someone sueing them down the road.

Comment

Same reason Ford won't sell them for parts. Liability. When shipping cobtainers fall, they do the same thing. Crushed.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
                      Railroads dont want the liability of someone sueing them down the road.
                      That was my thought process thinking that Ford would be the one crushing them. A couple hundred grand could turn into millions in a perfect storm situation.

Why not part them out though, and crush the body and frame? Again, my thought is that with the people and time invested, it probably wouldn't net much profit. 10's of thousands is alot to one person, but a drop in the bucket for a multi-billion dollar company.

Comment

That was my thought process thinking that Ford would be the one crushing them. A couple hundred grand could turn into millions in a perfect storm situation.

Why not part them out though, and crush the body and frame? Again, my thought is that with the people and time invested, it probably wouldn't net much profit. 10's of thousands is alot to one person, but a drop in the bucket for a multi-billion dollar company.
                        Yea they wont even let us have the tires off them. Most of the time they bury them right next to the tracks. They pay the farmer or rancher and start digging the hole.

Comment

Friend in the salvage biz told me a story years ago about some new chevy trucks getting the crusher treatment when they were severely hailed on in a train yard. Unloaded from the train, awaiting 18-wheeler transport, got hailed, then off to be crushed.

He's not the type of guy to BS about this. It's about the 3rd story like this I've heard. Seems like it's likely to be true. Something about not being titled, Fed laws, and liability issues.
                          US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

L
                            k
                            q
                            Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

The waste we do in this country is unfathomable

Comment

Working...
                              X