Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Universal rebuttle of religious/moral empiricism.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal rebuttle of religious/moral empiricism.

Just read this and immediately thought of the countless arguments throughout the years on here about attempting to legislate morality. That isn't directly what the author intended, but if the shoe fits...

"For many years I have observed that the moralist typically substitutes anger for perception. He hopes that many people will mistake his irritation for insight.... The mere moralistic expression of approval or disapproval, preference or detestation, is currently being used in our world as a substitute for observation and a substitute for study. People hope if they scream loud enough about 'values' then others will mistake them for serious, sensative souls who have higher and nobler perceptions than ordinary people. Otherwise, why would they be screaming?... Moral bitterness is a basic technique for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan 1964

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
    -Shakespeare, 1599
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Interesting quote from a guy that converted to Catholicism at 28.

Comment

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for no one"
        - Scarface, 1983

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
          "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
          -Shakespeare, 1599
          Better be careful with that Tom Wolfe collection I gave you, that was quoted out of an article in his second book. I'll covert you to an anarchist yet!

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            Better be careful with that Tom Wolfe collection I gave you, that was quoted out of an article in his second book. I'll covert you to an anarchist yet!
            Yeah, I'll be an anarchist about the time you convert to an alter boy. You're already halfway there...
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
              Interesting quote from a guy that converted to Catholicism at 28.

Yet written in his 50s. Older and wiser?

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                Yeah, I'll be an anarchist about the time you convert to an alter boy. You're already halfway there...

You got me good you fucker!

Comment

It looks like Mr. McLuhan has a superiority complex, placing himself in judgement of the moralist who must always by default resort to anger, bitterness, and screaming.

If he's a writer of some kind, he needs to get a new editor because doesn't know how to spell "sensitive", LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                    It looks like Mr. McLuhan has a superiority complex, placing himself in judgement of the moralist who must always by default resort to anger, bitterness, and screaming.

If he's a writer of some kind, he needs to get a new editor because doesn't know how to spell "sensitive", LOL.

Irony!

Comment

Irony!
                      You misunderstand. The King gets to do as he pleases, because God forgives him. So he's not subject to criticism.....
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post

Irony!
                        Wow.

Just wow. The classic "pot meet kettle" situation right there.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                          Wow.

Just wow. The classic "pot meet kettle" situation right there.

I figured he would respond to this thread, but even I was unprepared for a gem like that.

Comment

screaming, LOL

I figured a drama queen would be drawn in by that term, but even I was unprepared for the gems that followed.

Comment

Yet written in his 50s. Older and wiser?
                              According to his bio, he remained a devout catholic throughout his adulthood.

Comment

Working...
                              X