Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 88Kaufmann View Post
    From Fox News:
    Sexy Cameron Diaz, who has never lacked the company of attractive men, has declared that marriage is a “dying institution.”

“I think we have to make our own rules,” the 38-year old singleton tells Maxim in its June issue. “I don't think we should live our lives in relationships based off old traditions that don't suit our world any longer."
    Originally posted by clevelandkid View Post
    Really? Maybe we should have kept abiding by some other old marriage traditions. How about the old custom of Marriage by Capture? Or Purchase? Anybody want an arranged marriage or child betrothal?

Those are all obsolete too... but I guess we should have kept them around.
    But, the quote from Ms. Diaz stating "I think we have to make our own rules" implies that anything should now be acceptable in relationships, including those obsolete customs you listed above. She should think before speaking (if that's possible in her case).

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
      But, the quote from Ms. Diaz stating "I think we have to make our own rules" implies that anything should now be acceptable in relationships, including those obsolete customs you listed above. She should think before speaking (if that's possible in her case).
      I interpreted what she said as the old way isn't always the best way and individually, we should do what works for us, instead of just following tradition. If you want to skip marriage and just date, knock yourself out.

At some point in history, someone said - hey - maybe, this whole marry the girl thats slow enough for you to catch thing isn't very fair. Maybe we should get the girl to want to marry us.... Maybe they were criticized too.

Comment

Really? Maybe we should have kept abiding by some other old marriage traditions. How about the old custom of Marriage by Capture? Or Purchase? Anybody want an arranged marriage or child betrothal?

Those are all obsolete too... but I guess we should have kept them around.
        Her comments, by her admission, were made in reference to the institution of marriage. Not slavery or any of the other nonsense you are bringing up. I can guarrantee you these comments are about marriage as we know it in 21st century USA, no need to search for ancient culture's marriage customs.
        I interpreted what she said as the old way isn't always the best way and individually, we should do what works for us, instead of just following tradition. If you want to skip marriage and just date, knock yourself out.

At some point in history, someone said - hey - maybe, this whole marry the girl thats slow enough for you to catch thing isn't very fair. Maybe we should get the girl to want to marry us.... Maybe they were criticized too.
        The "old way isn't always best"; Who said it "always" is? We have freedom to do whatever we want in this country and society. If you are just "following tradition", then staying an individual is probably best. To say that the idea of linking yourself with a partner because you choose to share everything, and want to cease being an individual in favor of being a pair, is an "old tradition that doesn't suit our world" is incorrect. I believe that idea is ageless.

If your idea of marriage is marrying the girl who is too slow to get away, then yes, you should opt out because you have a fundamental misunderstanding about why people want to make a promise to eachother to be together.

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
          SO I have a question, since we are on the subject.

You folks in long term committed relationships, who arent married, do you ya'll wear rings like a married couple would ? Just curious.

<-- married 10 years this August, been together 18, and looking forward to growing old and gray with her.
          I've been with my ol' lady for almost 6 years. No rings.

Another point - look at how many people stay together because they are married, happy or not. It's a lot easier for unmarried people to split up. My gf and I stay together because we want to, not because we feel like we should. To me, that's more evidence of a devoted relationship than just having rings and the same last name.

Good for her and anyone else who thinks for themselves. If you got married because you wanted to, then good for you! But if you look down on people who don't choose to do it that way, then that suggests that you might be married because you love each other and that you think marriage is the only "right" way to be in a long-term, committed relationship, and that's a bunch of follower, non-free thinker bullshit. We all have the freedom to think for ourselves; somepeople just don't exercise that right.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post

Another point - look at how many people stay together because they are married, happy or not. It's a lot easier for unmarried people to split up. My gf and I stay together because we want to, not because we feel like we should. To me, that's more evidence of a devoted relationship than just having rings and the same last name.

Good for her and anyone else who thinks for themselves. If you got married because you wanted to, then good for you! But if you look down on people who don't choose to do it that way, then that suggests that you might be married because you love each other and that you think marriage is the only "right" way to be in a long-term, committed relationship, and that's a bunch of follower, non-free thinker bullshit. We all have the freedom to think for ourselves; somepeople just don't exercise that right.
            And she lets you buy whoopie cushions on shopping sprees!

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
              This...I said my vows and it damned well better be 'til death do us part'

Nobody wants to put any effort into anything anymore. It's all me me me, fuck everyone else. This carries over into marriage and that's why the divorce rate is so high.
              Exactly. I agree 100%. I can't imagine being single in today's society. I love my wife and daughter with all my soul. Can't imagine life any other way.

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
              I dated my wife longer than most marriages last...
              Yup, same here. And we've been married 9 years now.

Life on today's society is really hard and marriage is alot of work that some people just don't want to put in after the honeymoon stage is gone that makes marriage harder than ever. Love is sticking by your partner no matter what, or how tough life gets. It's a partnership through thick and thin. In a time it's so easy to just quit, run out and get a divorce it's easy for alot of people just to throw in the towel. I feel sorry for those people.

The institution of marriage isn't dead, it's people's commitment to their values that has failed.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post

your last name is luv.....i know you gotta beat ho's off with a stick!

my last name is hugecrookednose. i had to tie one down!

god bless.
                It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

My marriage was like an institution (prison) and now it's more dead than Osama bin Ladin.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

sorry to hear brother.

god bless.
                    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                      sorry to hear brother.

god bless.
                      Don't be! If it still bothered me I wouldn't be joking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        Don't be! If it still bothered me I wouldn't be joking about it.
                        besides he's far too hopped up on pharma grade narcotics and fruit flavored wines from the corner store to even know what day it is

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          My marriage was like an institution (prison) and now it's more dead than Osama bin Ladin.
                          Don't look at it as a death, look at it as a beginning...a beginning of your penis entering whole new worlds, over and over again.
                          Last edited by mstng86; 05-06-2011, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                            besides he's far too hopped up on pharma grade narcotics and fruit flavored wines from the corner store to even know what day it is
                            hashashashadshashaahahahd:L#HR$@LK#$H234e this n1gga right here...

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                              Yeah, and the steroids and antibiotics from that raging case of herpes don't mix well with fruit flavored wine. At all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                                Why anyone would listen to anything that no-talent ass clown has to say is beyond me. She needs to shut that gaping face hole of hers and go back to giving Sarah Jessica Parker a run for her money in the "Most Hideous Hose Beast In Hollywood" contest.
                                She drop kick your puppy or something? Yeesh, touchy touchy.
                                US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Working...
                                X