Jury gives Dallas officer probation for Sam’s Club robbery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury gives Dallas officer probation for Sam’s Club robbery

WTF? A sworn officer commits an aggravated robbery and gets 10 years probation?

Alph Coleman was a Dallas police officer who betrayed his badge and the public trust when he masterminded the robbery of a Sam’s Club.

But on Wednesday, the same jury that found him guilty of aggravated robbery slapped him on the wrist and let him go free — on probation.

Coleman, fired long ago and convicted Tuesday, was working an off-duty security job for the store when he and two others still facing charges tried to rob the store in 2008. No one was hurt in the robbery and no money was taken from the Red Bird-area store.

Jurors left the courtroom without commenting on their decision to give him 10 years of probation.

Coleman had faced up to life in prison. His attorneys Tom D'Amore, Bill Wirskye and Chris Knox, asked for probation.

“The community will be no safer if he is prison,” Wirskye told jurors. “Probation is punishment.”

Wirskye added that Coleman has already been punished because he will always be known as a bad cop and a convicted felon.

“He will carry that with him like a scarlet letter,” Wirskye said.

Public integrity unit prosecutors Frank Able and James Bagnall had argued that Coleman deserved a life sentence.

“One of the cornerstones of any police department is trust, public trust,” Bagnall told jurors. “What happens when that police officer not only orchestrates but participates fully in an armed robbery? ... He violated the public trust.”

Able told jurors that Coleman and his two co-defendants “victimized” the terrified Sam's employees and Dallas police.

Dallas County District Attorney Craig Watkins filed into the courtroom to hear the verdict but left immediately after State District Judge Don Adams read the jury's decision.

The officer's father, also named Coleman, who had tears on his eyes, said “God is good” after the jurors left the courtroom.

WTF? That's crazy.

Comment

Yeah I remember when it was broadcast over the radio when it happened. We all thought WTH that sounds a bit odd. Should have put him away a little while though since he was a cop.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Typical day in the life of DPD.

Comment

Effin incredible. Then again the juror they interviewed seemed like an idiot. "He must've got mixed up with the wrong crowd" like he's some 10 year old kid. The man used his position as a DPD officer to help pull off an aggravated robbery. They should've locked him away for a long time.

Comment

Our sham of a justice system.

Comment

Compared to what some of the DPD has been up to, he's practically a choir boy. It's still fucked up though. Preferential treatment much?
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Had it gone any different, Jesse Jackson would have cried foul.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                  Compared to what some of the DPD has been up to, he's practically a choir boy. It's still fucked up though. Preferential treatment much?
                  I would say yes
                  99 Mustang Project JSTA2V
                  going from really slow to just alittle slow

2013 Focus ST the daily cruising the 4 banger

Comment

Unfreaking believable!
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
                    George Orwell

Comment

FTJury!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                        FTJury!!!
                        Can anyone find the jury demographics?

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                          Can anyone find the jury demographics?
                          105% black

lmao
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                            105% black

lmao
                            The reason I asked was back in 1995 I went to arrest a black guy that a bounty hunter had in his truck. The offender saw me and ran to the house, where I tackled him on the porch. When I grabbed him, he had his hand on the storm door, and when I pulled him away from the door to put him on the ground, he opened the door and ordered his pitt bull to attack me. The dog bit me twice and the guy ran off while I was fighting the dog. I later caught him hiding in a closet and he went to jail for the warrants and Agg Assault/Public Servant. The dog went to the pound.

10 months later it went to trial, and the result was a hung jury. The three balck women on the jury refused to convict based soley on his color. This information was obtained by the prosecutor who interviewed the jury foreman. I don't know how or why they made it past the selection process.

I was promised a retrial by the prosecutor, and after a year passed and I had not heard anything, I checked the county records. The DA let him plea to a misdomeanor assault and gave him 11 months in jail. This would have been his third felony conviction (career criminal) and he would have had to serve 20 years according to the "Three Strikes" rule.

But no, since he got ANOTHER slap on the wrist, he continued breaking into homes and other criminal activities.

I'll be the first to admit that our system is WAAAAYYYYY to easy on criminals, that's why we are the best at making hardened ones that learn how to play the system.
                            Last edited by 03trubluGT; 05-05-2011, 06:08 AM.

Comment

You survived a pit bull attack ? That story must be false , that can't happen . LOL I was on a jury for a felony snatch and grab (black perp) and we came back guilty . I was just glad to do my part but even the black members knew he was guilty and didn't make it an issue .
                              Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X