Credit check for employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit check for employment

How common is this? I have a relative that got laid off a while back, admittedly made some bad choices regarding taxes and now has a tax lean on his credit (im afraid among other items). He said thanks to that lean, no one will hire him. He had even tried to apply at places like Lowes and Home Depot just to get back on his feet (has experience in the construction arena) and claims they won’t hire him because of his credit.

Though I know credit checks happen, I wouldnt figure they would do them for a mesely hourly job at a retail store. I have a feeling hes bending the truth, but maybe not?

I give this a rating of terrible like your relatives credit.

Comment

One star
      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by TRAXX View Post
        How common is this? I have a relative that got laid off a while back, admittedly made some bad choices regarding taxes and now has a tax lean on his credit (im afraid among other items). He said thanks to that lean, no one will hire him. He had even tried to apply at places like Lowes and Home Depot just to get back on his feet (has experience in the construction arena) and claims they won’t hire him because of his credit.

Though I know credit checks happen, I wouldnt figure they would do them for a mesely hourly job at a retail store. I have a feeling hes bending the truth, but maybe not?
        Sounds like someone is more full of excuses than job leads....
        Originally posted by Vertnut
        I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

I have never had a job pull my credit.
          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

They won't check credit, he's full of it.

Comment

Measly hourly jobs at retail stores are in demand, so employers can afford to be choosy. A credit check is now one way they do that.

Comment

Why would a company pay money to do that.
                www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I nix candidates if they have a score below a certain mark or too many collections. I just turned down a district manager since he has a 610 score and over $5000 in collections

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                    I have never had a job pull my credit.
                    I've had mine pulled several times. If you have bad credit you can't work for some insurance companies like Allstate for one. Bad credit puts you into a risk category for thieving from the company as far as they're concerned.
                    Originally posted by Vertnut
                    I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                      Why would a company pay money to do that.
                      So let me get this right. You don't see a correlation with paying your bills and being a responsible person? Most employers do. If somebody has fucked up credit why in the world would I have them working for me?
                      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                      Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

My last and current job both pulled full background including education and credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Samhain View Post
                          So let me get this right. You don't see a correlation with paying your bills and being a responsible person? Most employers do. If somebody has fucked up credit why in the world would I have them working for me?
                          You could also argue the fact that they owe money means they will be willing to work harder because they NEED the job. In this economy a lot of people have had to choose between eating or paying bills. ( I am lucky and have not had to)
                          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Generally it has been for higher level positions. He should disclose it up front if he knows it is coming. Clearly, if you had a job loss and long term unemployment some things will have to give. Depending on the age of the debt, he may be wise to have his credit shined up.

Comment

Originally posted by MutherjuggZ View Post
                              I've had mine pulled several times. If you have bad credit you can't work for some insurance companies like Allstate for one. Bad credit puts you into a risk category for thieving from the company as far as they're concerned.

Not only that, it usually means you are retarded with money/finances.

Why hire someone who can't handle money to help make me mine.

I credit check my tenants, why wouldn't I check my employees?

Comment

Working...
                              X