Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a reasonable re-homing fee?

my rant of the day...

I'm looking for a dog I can take running with me but I really don't want a puppy. I see ads on craigslist where the dog owner is all torn up about having to give up their dog, but they want 200 or more to "re-home" them. If you really cared about the dog, why wouldn't you just inspect the home where the dog is going? If it's a good fit give it away. I'm going to incur expenses as far as vet bills, food, toys, kennel etc.

a lot of times the re-homing fee is just to keep riff raf away from their beloved pet. if you're willing to pay the fee, it shows that you might actually care for the thing
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

get one from the pound...
      first class white trash

Comment

re-homing fee? seriously? Who made this up? Sounds like selling a dog to me and most people that have to get rid of a dog give it away.

Comment

What kind of dog are you looking for?
          G'Day Mate

Comment

When we were looking for dogs most people were at about $50 - $100 for their "re-homing" fee. I think $50 is reasonable. The idea is that you don't just want some scumbag that isn't going to treat the dog well.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
              What kind of dog are you looking for?
              something smart and athletic - border collie, german shepherd. being a purebreed isn't that important but the characteristics are. Just want them to enjoy being active.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                When we were looking for dogs most people were at about $50 - $100 for their "re-homing" fee. I think $50 is reasonable. The idea is that you don't just want some scumbag that isn't going to treat the dog well.
                that seems reasonable to me too. I saw a guy's ad today for his 2 year old English bulldog (obviously not the dog for me) but he wanted something like 800 dollars. His job transferred him and he couldn't take the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by stinginstang View Post
                  something smart and athletic - border collie, german shepherd. being a purebreed isn't that important but the characteristics are. Just want them to enjoy being active.
                  I've got a Lab mix, about 65#, approx 4 years old. Was a pound rescue, long story, the house we are in now is too small for him, so he's at my parent's. They lost one dog and are about to lose another and would love to be dog free for a while.

He's super smart, just needs someone who can work with him without getting frustrated. He's Forrest Gump smart, can learn, but acts retarded on occasion.

Has had shots, meds, and is neutered. I hate to give him away since he's so loyal, but its not fair to him to be cooped up in a privacy fenced yard with no other dogs to play with.
                  G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                    I've got a Lab mix, about 65#, approx 4 years old. Was a pound rescue, long story, the house we are in now is too small for him, so he's at my parent's. They lost one dog and are about to lose another and would love to be dog free for a while.

He's super smart, just needs someone who can work with him without getting frustrated. He's Forrest Gump smart, can learn, but acts retarded on occasion.

Has had shots, meds, and is neutered. I hate to give him away since he's so loyal, but its not fair to him to be cooped up in a privacy fenced yard with no other dogs to play with.
                    I'm in Houston or I'd come by and get a look at him.

Comment

Originally posted by stinginstang View Post
                      I'm in Houston or I'd come by and get a look at him.
                      Next time you're up this way holler at me and we'll gtg if you're still looking.
                      G'Day Mate

Comment

I think the whole re home fee thing is crock. If you wanted you dog to go to a good home inspect the house he is going to be at and see how the people do with him. There are way to many strays and dogs at the pound to pay rehome fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                          a lot of times the re-homing fee is just to keep riff raf away from their beloved pet. if you're willing to pay the fee, it shows that you might actually care for the thing
                          This, especially if it's a high maintenance breed, or if they've just taken it to the vet for it's shots and annual check up.
                          It may be stated higher to weed people out. I paid $150 for our bulldog, but her breeder had a $300 rehoming fee listed on her website.

Comment

rehoming is some bullshit.

I'll pay a rescue organization who has taken in the dog and has expenses for a dog they didnt buy, but I would NEVER pay someone for a dog they want to get rid of.

The bulldog guy is trying to recoup some of his money...those dogs are EXPENSIVE

Comment

Besides what it costs to get one from the pound, I would never pay money for a dog. My dog was free and she has been a great dog. As far as types of dogs go, I would get any kind of cattle dog. I've had a blue heeler and now a blue heeler-Australian Kelpie mix, both smart, good natured and no health issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X