Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do car manufactures sell damaged products as new?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do car manufactures sell damaged products as new?

This question came to me today after I drove through Birmingham and passed the Mercedes plant shortly afterward. It got me wondering what the factory does for hail damage....or in this case, flying debris from a tornado damage. Would they scrap them (seems unlikely), mark them down like a stealership does (again, not much money to be made there), or "fix" them and send them on their way with a clean title like nothing happened?

Discuss.

I would imagine they marke them down like a dealership does. But on second thought they are the manufactuering plant so I would think proper repairs would be in order, pass back through QC, and then sell as new. Good question, I don't have the answer.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Well i know that if theres a train car derailment, that even if there are undamaged cars in other rail cars, they scrap them. As far as hail and debris goes id bet they either scrap them or auction them off as damaged.

Comment

They usually get fixed and sold as new. The damage is not reported, with the exception of the train car bit that was mentioned.

Comment

I know that there have been times when I'll pass the GM plant in Arlington and see hundreds of SUV's and such. With all the hail that has come through the area, somebody must know what they do. As greedy as all of those SOB's are, I wouldn't put it past them to fix and release. Even with pushing them back through QC, how is it any different than Service King fixing it?

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
            I know that there have been times when I'll pass the GM plant in Arlington and see hundreds of SUV's and such. With all the hail that has come through the area, somebody must know what they do. As greedy as all of those SOB's are, I wouldn't put it past them to fix and release. Even with pushing them back through QC, how is it any different than Service King fixing it?
            id think they replace the panels rather than fix, making it the same as new.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
              They usually get fixed and sold as new. The damage is not reported, with the exception of the train car bit that was mentioned.
              That's what I thought.

Comment

Depends on the dealership and car line. I only have direct experience with GM and Chrysler so I can't speak for the others. The ones I've dealt with will file an insurance claim and deduct the price of whatever they received a check for from the asking price of the vehicle. Of course you never actually see the check as a consumer so they probably got a lot more than the discounted rate.

I have also seen a Dodge dealer repaint a door on a truck and sell it as new with no repairs noted. They ended up losing their franchise over stuff like that though, I'd say most dealerships will disclose damage.

If the car was damaged before it ever made it to a dealership then nearly every time they'll scrap it. I've seen cars get damaged on the transporter when being dropped off and they were still scrapped by GM, on the same note though I've seen an entire train load of cars that were vandalized on the way here (human feces all over the interiors) and they were cleaned and sold as new.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                  Depends on the dealership and car line. I only have direct experience with GM and Chrysler so I can't speak for the others. The ones I've dealt with will file an insurance claim and deduct the price of whatever they received a check for from the asking price of the vehicle. Of course you never actually see the check as a consumer so they probably got a lot more than the discounted rate.

I have also seen a Dodge dealer repaint a door on a truck and sell it as new with no repairs noted. They ended up losing their franchise over stuff like that though, I'd say most dealerships will disclose damage.

If the car was damaged before it ever made it to a dealership then nearly every time they'll scrap it. I've seen cars get damaged on the transporter when being dropped off and they were still scrapped by GM, on the same note though I've seen an entire train load of cars that were vandalized on the way here (human feces all over the interiors) and they were cleaned and sold as new.
                  When i worked @ the honda dealer ANY time there was any damage, we disclosed it and had the customer sign a disclosure form.

Comment

I can't even imagine the labor involved in tearing a large quantity of vehicles down in such a way that every usable part was kept, cataloged, and then reintroduced into inventory. I have to believe that is what is meant by scrap.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Comment

Check this story out:

Long story short : Container ship lists heavily during a balast transfer, some cars come free of their moorings and get damaged. Mazda doesnt want to risk any liability for any of the cars having damage and being sued later on down the road, so they destroy every last car.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
                        I can't even imagine the labor involved in tearing a large quantity of vehicles down in such a way that every usable part was kept, cataloged, and then reintroduced into inventory. I have to believe that is what is meant by scrap.
                        That's where salvage yards come into play. We dismantled over 50k cars last quarter, yeah there is a lot of labor involved but we also gross around $3 billion in revenue a year from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                          id think they replace the panels rather than fix, making it the same as new.
                          If they did, there would be missing VINs on a brand new vehicle.

Comment

we also gross around $3 billion in revenue a year from it.
                            I'm in the wrong business!

Comment

Originally posted by A_A_G View Post
                              If they did, there would be missing VINs on a brand new vehicle.
                              they're just vin stickers which i'm sure they could redo and put on the new panels.

Comment

Working...
                              X