No announcement yet.

Joining another branch of the military?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bro went from a nuclear weapons technician in the Airforce to a technician in the army because they were badly in need of them and handing out some really good contracts - if that's still the case you might find a similar offer available.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I went through tech training in the AF with 4 prior service E-5/E-6s. Two from the Navy and 2 from the Army.

Granted, I'm biased - but if you are looking for a civilian career - Join the Air Force and do something in the medical field. Don't do anything with a fucking airplane unless you want to be tied to the government and/or the civilian aircraft industry for the rest of your life.
      - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
      1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

AF is cutting it's Jr officers heavily right now. It will be tough to get into OCS w/out it being a pilot or medical position. They tried for over a year to ask people to volunteer to leave, now they are just giving them the boot.

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
          AF is cutting it's Jr officers heavily right now. It will be tough to get into OCS w/out it being a pilot or medical position. They tried for over a year to ask people to volunteer to leave, now they are just giving them the boot.
          I wouldn't call ~2000 officers "heavily". They're cutting officers from certain overmanned AFSCs and year groups. The VSP (Voluntary Separation Program) just concluded last week, and of 900 applications, only 300 were approved. I know of several pilots doing everything in their power to try to get out but the AF won't let them go. Pilots made up the majority of the VSP applications, but only 69 got approved. Now, the RIF (Reduction in Force) starts, and the AF will basically pick the bottom feeders from year groups and AFSCs and give them the boot.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYouL8R View Post
            I wouldn't call ~2000 officers "heavily". They're cutting officers from certain overmanned AFSCs and year groups. The VSP (Voluntary Separation Program) just concluded last week, and of 900 applications, only 300 were approved. I know of several pilots doing everything in their power to try to get out but the AF won't let them go. Pilots made up the majority of the VSP applications, but only 69 got approved. Now, the RIF (Reduction in Force) starts, and the AF will basically pick the bottom feeders from year groups and AFSCs and give them the boot.
            you're right thats not too heavy, i suppose that I overstated. I was able to get a palace chase out of the whole sep deal, so I could leave Okinawa w/ my wife since she was heading back for school.

The pilots shouldn't be able to sep early... far more time and money has been invested into them than other fields, so that's why more of their apps were declined. When I left active duty, in 2010 they were already forcing people out, it wasn't just the voluntary sep.

RIF has already been kicking off... at least the selection of the troops, it's been going on for well over 6 months in fact. I have a lot of "fat" friends that will be getting the boot this month but have known for quite some time. I wish the AF would shed some of the piss poor 3 and 4 EPR's rather than kicking out heavy firewall 5 troops. You can get a fatty in shape, but you can't turn a shitbag into a good troop.

Comment

Go for it, Slider. The Navy's gonna have no shortage of work with China gearing up. I don't think we'll ever get into it with them, but we're too invested to avoid a pissing contest.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
              X