So the coupe crushed me yesterday..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the coupe crushed me yesterday..

I was taking the transmission out after work, I was taking the driveshaft bolts loose with a wrench.

I had the front tires on ramps, and the rear tires under some 8x8 blocks. The car was level, e brake pulled and in gear. I've done this several times and never had any issues.

So I'm on the third bolt on the driveshaft, I pull the wrench down and next thing I knew the car was rolling backwards and the back tires rolled off the blocks, flipping the blocks vertical, their about 12 inches long or so.

I was laying on my side, and the drive shaft was on my right shoulder and it rolled me back with the car, crushing me shoulder to shoulder. The part that sucked the worst was my body was holding the car off the ground for a second or so because the width of my body stopped the car, I had to continue rolling and let the car be at rest, where it then dropped a few more inches. The blocks were vertical and holding the car up on the torque boxes, front of the car was on the ground.

I got out, and was instally in the most pain I've ever had, it hurt so bad I didn't know what to do, I cried not going to lie. Only for a few seconds though..

No broken bones, just some nasty road rash looking marks, and a shoulder thar hurts like bitch, I can't move it withouht tensing up and making it worse, my muscles are so sore.

The subframe connector cought my right leg right where the ball joint is and cut into my leg and bruised the shit out of it.

This sucks! Anyone ever had anything like this happen?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Damn dude, I'm glad you're ok.

Were you working on it by yourself ? Were you on an incline or something ? Not have any jack stands ?

-Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
      I was taking the transmission out after work, I was taking the driveshaft bolts loose with a wrench.

I had the front tires on ramps, and the rear tires under some 8x8 blocks. The car was level, e brake pulled and in gear. I've done this several times and never had any issues.

So I'm on the third bolt on the driveshaft, I pull the wrench down and next thing I knew the car was rolling backwards and the back tires rolled off the blocks, flipping the blocks vertical, their about 12 inches long or so.

I was laying on my side, and the drive shaft was on my right shoulder and it rolled me back with the car, crushing me shoulder to shoulder. The part that sucked the worst was my body was holding the car off the ground for a second or so because the width of my body stopped the car, I had to continue rolling and let the car be at rest, where it then dropped a few more inches.

I got out, and was instally in the most pain I've ever had, it hurt so bad I didn't know what to do, I cried not going to lie. Only for a few seconds though..

No broken bones, just some nasty road rash looking marks, and a shoulder thar hurts like bitch, I can't move it withouht tensing up and making it worse, my muscles are so sore.

The subframe connector cought my right leg right where the ball joint is and cut into my leg and bruised the shit out of it.

This sucks! Anyone ever had anything like this happen?
      that sucks, the worst i ever had was asking a friend to lower the car down some and he dropped the bottom outta the jack..... i always use jack stands now
      first class white trash

Comment

Damn, man! You're lucky to still be alive. You really need to make sure that the car is safely supported and wheels chocked before crawling under it.....Ever! It doesn't matter how many times you've done it that way and it worked.

Comment

Sell that car. One way or the other, it will be the death of you.

Comment

Glad you're OK Mike. I've always been a little scared of that happening myself.

Comment

That sucks man. I've had a car almost fall off jackstands on me but didn't that's as close as I came, I'm always paranoid about that happening so I'm extra cautious. Sounds like that car is trying to kill you ala "Christine"
              Originally posted by Nash B.
              Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Man I always fear that. I always use jackstands.

Comment

Oh and the worst part was I was alone, and my phone was in the drivers seat. I yelled only once, and then decided I had to do something. Never in my life have I thought "this could be it" and that's not a nice thought to have.

This scared the piss out of me.

Comment

wow man, next time ask us for help!

Comment

A friend of mine in high school was crushed and killed under his car in a similar situation. He was alone and apparently died of asphyxiation from the weight of the car on his chest.
                      Never work under a car alone and/or without jackstands.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                        Sell that car. One way or the other, it will be the death of you.
                        This. Time for a new hobby.
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Originally posted by 78X View Post
                          wow man, next time ask us for help!
                          THIS! lol I've had a floorjack lose pressure and start coming down on me, got out quick though. If you need to borrow stands next time let me or somebody know man. Glad your ok, are you sure you didn't break your coccyx?

A_______B________I________D_______E

Comment

glad you made it that counts as a near death experience in my book.

Comment

I have it on jack stands now and it's pretty solid.

My brother was playing the jackstands (taking the wheels off his power wheels) so I just left them be and went about my own ways. Never again, not a corner worth cutting.

Dad told me to finish the job and not whine. So we secured it back in the air and finished taking the driveshaft out and called it a day.

This has always been a fear of mine, and well I'm even more scared of it now.

Comment

Working...
                              X