Getting a dog ... need some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a dog ... need some advice.

I wanna get a pup/young adult. I want one that has natural instincts to protect. One that doesn't have a history of attacking people. Easy to train as well. I am interested in making this an indoor dog that will be taken on daily walks.

Ones that come to mind are chows/rotts/ germans sheps/labs.

Thanks for any advice or stories of experience with dogs not to get.
    Last edited by GT Fanatic; 04-27-2011, 11:35 PM.

Originally posted by GT Fanatic View Post
    I wanna get a pup/young adult. I want one that has natural instincts to protect. One that doesn't have a history of attacking people. Easy to train as well. I am interested in making this an indoor dog that will be taking on daily walks.

My min pin loves daily walks, and doesn't attack, but would defend me with her life. Too bad that she's only a snack to most threats.

Comment

I wanna get a pup/young adult. I want one that has natural instincts to protect. One that doesn't have a history of attacking people. Easy to train as well. I am interested in making this an indoor dog that will be taking on daily walks.

I have a young adult female german shep. She is 11 months old. She is fixed and is a very playful dog. Loves attention. Barks when a car pulls up ect.

Comment

Doberman /thread
        Originally posted by Jester
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
        He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
        Originally posted by Denny
        What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
        FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Doberman /thread
          Boxer. They are awesome dogs that range in size from 60-100 lbs depending on parents. VERY loyal and protective dogs. But be ready, they are high energy dogs that always wanna play. Mines 2 1/2 years old and sleeps in bed with my wife when Im at work (work nights). He stirs at the first instant of noise or trouble.
          Oh, and...
          /thread

Comment

I'd have a Rat Terrier again in a heartbeat. IMO, I'm the security system. The dog should be an alarm system. A Rat Terrier will let you know if someone's trying to get in. They can tell the difference between someone being on the sidewalk, and on the doorstep. They hear it, and raise high holy hell.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

can't stand boxers
              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Id get an Akita

Comment

get a pit bull... raise it right, and you'll never have a problem
                  http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Chihuahua
                    Originally posted by talisman
                    I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                    Originally posted by AdamLX
                    If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    Because fuck you, that's why
                    Originally posted by 80coupe
                    nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                    Originally posted by Rick Modena
                    ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                    Originally posted by Jester
                    Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

I wanna get a pup/young adult. I want one that has natural instincts to protect. One that doesn't have a history of attacking people. Easy to train as well. I am interested in making this an indoor dog that will be taken on daily walks.

Avoid a Chow like the plague. They are stubborn, aggressive, impossible to train and mean as hell.

My vote goes to rottweilers. I have had two now. They are a handful until they turn 2, then they calm down and turn great. Loyal, great watch dogs, and fairly gentle. The downside is that they love to dig, can be destructive if ignored, and they have a natural herding instinct, which can knock you down.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                        Avoid a Chow like the plague. They are stubborn, aggressive, impossible to train and mean as hell.
                        Growing up my dog was Chow/Lab. Extremely attentive and aggressive, he proved very hard to train. It paid off though, he was the perfect watch dog.

My vote is for German Shepherd. I adopted a 2yr old female from a local rescue that was found with a chain imbedded in her neck. I took her on walks daily, including some time off leash. I had her trained off leash in a few weeks. Smart dogs that will be your shadow when you need them, and protect your assets.

Comment

Every chow I owned wasn't either of the cases. Both were very lovable and kid friendly. Now if someone that the dog didn't know both were protective of there domain.

If you don't have room for poop then don't get a big dog.

Comment

I have a boxer but have been around Akita's too. To me, the Akita looks more intimidating than the boxer and they do have a big can of whoop keester, I just don't know how tolerant of little ones they are.

Akita or boxer...

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                              My min pin loves daily walks, and doesn't attack, but would defend me with her life. Too bad that she's only a snack to most threats.
                              I love both of my MinPins. Smart and loyal. Both of mine are females, and one can be pretty damn mean. They think they weigh 50lbs. but they're closer to 12. LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X