Highest HP Factory Mazda Ever Built?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
    Did you miss where I directly stated that none of it would see the street? You said that Mazda itself didn't make a 700 HP motor, I merely made a correction in that the Mazda race team you cited was an in-house, factory team. Thanks for the uppity fucking ellipsis.
    You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
      Just wondering.....what is the highest HP car that Mazda ever produced? I'm guessing it's in the 270hp range, but does anyone know? Curious, but too lazy to do the research, so thought I'd ask here.
      Your answer is the 1990-1995 Eunos Cosmo (made by Mazda for the Japan market.) 300HP factory.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
        Your answer is the 1990-1995 Eunos Cosmo (made by Mazda for the Japan market.) 300HP factory.
        That looks like a quick little car. Ugly, but quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post

Lolz @ tri-rotor cars. I remember the fan-boy dream swap was a tri-rotor in a miata back in the day. I kept wondering, "why?"
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by eastsidetorino View Post
            the 787b factory mazda race cars put out 700ish hp...
            This with 1.6 or 1.8 liters.

4 rotors and a turbo yo!

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

A 300hp Miata with a light motor and broad rev range sounds like a shit-load of fun to me!

Thanks for the answer too.

I was watching TV last night and there was a Mazda commerial that was touting them as being a company that is really passionate about sports cars, and it got me to wondering what their highest HP car was. Not that HP is all that defines a sports car, but I was betting that my 8yr old G35 Coupe was every bit as "sporting" as anything Mazda had ever made (to sell to the public), and I think I'm pretty much right. Pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                485 hp in the gt-r
                317 in the titan
                lol!
                Originally posted by Da Prez
                Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  I kinda like how understated it is for 300 hp from the factory. I'd drive it.

Comment

A 300hp Miata with a light motor and broad rev range sounds like a shit-load of fun to me!

Thanks for the answer too.

I was watching TV last night and there was a Mazda commerial that was touting them as being a company that is really passionate about sports cars, and it got me to wondering what their highest HP car was. Not that HP is all that defines a sports car, but I was betting that my 8yr old G35 Coupe was every bit as "sporting" as anything Mazda had ever made (to sell to the public), and I think I'm pretty much right. Pretty much.
                    Actually, more mazdas are raced in any given weekend than any other brand. Hell, I bet there are more pink colored miata's racing than any infiniti model in any given weekend, lol.

Comment

For sure...but that speaks more to the price and availability of the cars than anything, IMO. They've made the Miata since what, '91? With most of the major parts being interchangeable, it's a no-brainer for the weekend racers. And the classes are pretty well tailored to them these days, because of their popularity.

Mazda does invest in their racing program though, and I definitely give them props for that. And they make a good platform for a lightweight racer, for sure. I also used to like the ACR Neon that dodge made for SCCA racing. I always thought that would be a lot of fun, and it's something I'm considering looking into. And if I do, a Miata would certainly be a car I'd have to consider.

An old motorcycle buddy of mine got rid of his streetbike and is autocrossing a Miata now. I can't wait to go out with him and give it a shot. It's a great car for fun little events like that.

But around the same roadcourse, I don't think there are too many Mazda's that could beat my G35 Coupe....same driver, stock car vs stock car. I'm going to have to look up an RX8 vs G35 Comparo and see...

Comment

Road & Track gave the nod to the RX8 in a camparo back in August of 2004, but I haven't found the numbers yet, just that the RX8 won. I'm betting price played a big role, cause I think the Infiniti was quite a bit more expensive.

Comment

Don't know if anyone cares...but...

Performance (all out of 30 points)
                          G35 RX-8
                          0-60 30.0 29.0
                          0-1/4 mile 30.0 29.6
                          Slalom 29.3 30.0
                          Skidpad 30.0 29.0
                          Braking 60-0 29.5 30.0
                          Braking 80-0 29.1 30.0
                          Fuel Economy 20.0 17.9
                          Sub Total 197.9 195.5

Subjective Tests
                          G35 RX-8
                          Excitement (20pt) 20.0 18.9
                          Engine (20pt) 20.0 16.0
                          Gearbox (20pt) 17.0 20.0
                          Steering (20pt) 18.9 20.0
                          Brakes (20 pt) 17.0 20.0
                          Ride (20pt) 18.0 20.0
                          Handling (20pt) 18.0 20.0
                          Ext. Style(15pt) 15.0 11.3
                          Int. Style (15pt) 12.0 15.0
                          Seats (10 pt) 10.0 9.5
                          Ergonomic (10pt) 9.0 10.0
                          Luggage Space(10pt)10.0 9.0
                          Sub Total 184.9 189.7

Total 382.8 385.2

Price (200 pts)
                          G35 RX-8
                          Price as tested 190.2 200.0

Total Points 573.0 585.2

Comment

For sure...but that speaks more to the price and availability of the cars than anything, IMO. They've made the Miata since what, '91? With most of the major parts being interchangeable, it's a no-brainer for the weekend racers. And the classes are pretty well tailored to them these days, because of their popularity.

Mazda does invest in their racing program though, and I definitely give them props for that. And they make a good platform for a lightweight racer, for sure. I also used to like the ACR Neon that dodge made for SCCA racing. I always thought that would be a lot of fun, and it's something I'm considering looking into. And if I do, a Miata would certainly be a car I'd have to consider.

An old motorcycle buddy of mine got rid of his streetbike and is autocrossing a Miata now. I can't wait to go out with him and give it a shot. It's a great car for fun little events like that.

But around the same roadcourse, I don't think there are too many Mazda's that could beat my G35 Coupe....same driver, stock car vs stock car. I'm going to have to look up an RX8 vs G35 Comparo and see...

It has to do with the support they have put in for the spec miata series. Mazda hasnt shown the kind of schizophrenia of the larger car companies like Ford, GM, and Toyota as they swing back and forth from supporting grassroots racing, and then away from it as part of a more "green" image, over and over again. You mentioned the ACR-Neon, and support for that car lasted about .5 seconds before dodge changed their mind.

The whole design of the original miata was to make a cheap sports car that wasnt bloated down with a bunch of bullshit...like your G35. By design the cars are simple to work on and upgrade.

And not everything has to do with sports car racing, a lot of open wheel cars use mazda engines because they have been found to work very well in low-weight cars.

As far as going head to head, the RX8 isnt the best choice. You do know a Speed3 weighs about 500 pounds less than your G35 and makes the same power, and more torque, right?

Dont get me wrong. I love G-series cars. Hell, just a few months ago I encouraged my brother to pick up a G37 coupe, which he did. Still fun to wave goodbye when im passing him though.

Comment

the rx8 would be cool if they would redesign the ugly out of it.
                              www.hppmotorsports.com
                              ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                                I like the look of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X