Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corporate Mgmt is teh suck!

[rant]
    So corporate management is peeved with project being late so often, so they throw down the mandate of no more late projects. I started a new project and working with my entire team, we set up an action plan with a worst case scenario in mind so we won't be late. We pitch the plan and all of mgmt buys off on it. Fast forward 4 months later, and things are going "best case" scenario route. Now, in the status update meeting, we get the slap down that our dates are too long, want us to short cycle everything and put down new, shorter length hard dates. WTF! How about I just release early instead of setting new dates that might make us "late"?? Azzhats!
    [/rant]
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

yea, that pretty much sums it up.
    www.hppmotorsports.com
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Having a bit of Project Management experience myself, how the hell can management "deem" that there shall be no more late projects?

Any PM worth his\her salt will meet a date range 75% of the time....

unfortunately, even if you did everything right, and even if the risk assessment and time estimate were spot on... "shit happens"

Maybe more of an issue with shitty PMs (not pointing to you personally) or lack of training in the team?

Comment

I would think that if they have to mandate no more late projects that it's to a point where they need to clean house a little bit.
        G'Day Mate

Comment

The timeline you turn in should be DOUBLE what you project.

Then scale it back 1/4 after they bitch.
          WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
            The timeline you turn in should be DOUBLE what you project.

Then scale it back 1/4 after they bitch.
            Ahhh Yes.... The Star Trek "Scotty" Project Timeline....

OK, boss... It usually takes 10 weeks.... but I'll do it for you in 5.... LOL

Comment

Most all of our PM's are worthless. All they do is schedule meetings and take notes and even that they do poorly. The rest of the time we can't find them or they are escalating the crap out of things they do not understand. Every email is followed with an instant message asking if I got the email. If I don't answer in 10 minutes, they call me on the phone asking if I got their email. Half the time is spent having them repeat themselves because no one can understand them because of accent or they form sentences you can't tell if they are questions or statements. Every question you ask them, they just answer "yes" even when its not a yes/no question. Did I mention they outsourced nearly all of ours to India? They also have 26 paid holidays vs my 11. I'm just a little bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                Most all of our PM's are worthless. All they do is schedule meetings and take notes and even that they do poorly. The rest of the time we can't find them or they are escalating the crap out of things they do not understand. Every email is followed with an instant message asking if I got the email. If I don't answer in 10 minutes, they call me on the phone asking if I got their email. Half the time is spent having them repeat themselves because no one can understand them because of accent or they form sentences you can't tell if they are questions or statements. Every question you ask them, they just answer "yes" even when its not a yes/no question. Did I mention they outsourced nearly all of ours to India? They also have 26 paid holidays vs my 11. I'm just a little bitter.
                LOL... just wow.... It's OK, I'm not even in the biz anymore and I've had to instruct my "company" PM on how to set up timelines and deliverables in MS Project....

Small companies can't pay for a good PM and big ones don't want to.... Pretty standard these days...

Comment

Originally posted by 88Kaufmann View Post
                  Having a bit of Project Management experience myself, how the hell can management "deem" that there shall be no more late projects?

Any PM worth his\her salt will meet a date range 75% of the time....

unfortunately, even if you did everything right, and even if the risk assessment and time estimate were spot on... "shit happens"

Maybe more of an issue with shitty PMs (not pointing to you personally) or lack of training in the team?
                  The division as a whole has had more late releases than on-time, for whatever reason. So corporate said enough of that. They're the big bosses, I guess they can say that.

As said, "we" set the project plan for every "shit happens" we could think of and even with the long time line, they (corporate) signed off on the plan.

LOL... just wow.... It's OK, I'm not even in the biz anymore and I've had to instruct my "company" PM on how to set up timelines and deliverables in MS Project....

Small companies can't pay for a good PM and big ones don't want to.... Pretty standard these days...
                  They got rid of the PM we had. I'm in engineering being the PM for the project.
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

It wasn't a shot at you. I just meant the US PM's we used to have actually worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                      It wasn't a shot at you. I just meant the US PM's we used to have actually worked.
                      Oh, I understand... no problem... It's all good...

Comment

Working...
                      X