Auto insurance and a wreck - need suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto insurance and a wreck - need suggestions

A few weeks ago my wife was broadsided by another woman. The other woman admitted fault to the police officer and received a ticket. I tried talking to her insurance and of course they were dicks about everything, so I handled everything through my insurance company. The car is currently getting repaird, and the woman's insurance finally agreed to cover the damages.

However, we had to get a rental car for a short time. Prior to this I did not have rental car reimbursment on my policy (that has since changed). My insurance won't even help me try to get the other insurance company to pay for the rental car. When I first called the woman-at-fault's insurance it took 4 or 5 calls to get someone to return my call and they refused to pay for a rental car because it was "under investigation". Now they have accepted liability but still will not return my calls about paying for the damned rental car. What can I do? If they accepted liability don't they have to pay for the rental car? Seems like I might have to contact a lawyer since they refuse to call me back, but I really don't want to do that. Lawyers piss me off about as much as insurance companies.

Any suggestions?
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

If I was hit by someone I would expect their insurance to cover a rental, so I could still get to work, etc.

Hoping Kim will chime in for you!

Comment

I thought that in order for the other company to cover your rental that you had to have rental coverage on your end. I could be wrong though.

We have always had rental coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
        I thought that in order for the other company to cover your rental that you had to have rental coverage on your end. I could be wrong though.

This...

Edit:
        NOT This
        Last edited by Unicorn Jeff; 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Yeep, sorry Craigory... incorrect. Which is a good thing!

The at fault party has liability that covers the not at fault partys loss of use of their vehicle. Meaning ...since the at fault party put the not at fault party in a position where they have no vehicle, the insurance for the at fault party picks up the tab on their behalf. It pays for rental, along with any lost wages, injuries, property damage, etc. People just need to be sure they carry more than the minimum.
          Originally posted by Vertnut
          I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

That doesn't make any sense to me, because my wife wasn't at fault so it has nothing to do with our coverage. If my truck is hit by someone else and all I have is liability, the other insurance comapany would still have to pay if their customer is at fault.

Now, I understand my insurance company not messing with the rental claim since I did not have rental coverage through them, but the other company should cover it because their customer is at fault.

Of course nothing about the scam that is insurance makes sense to me....

Comment

Originally posted by MutherjuggZ View Post

The at fault party has liability that covers the not at fault partys loss of use of their vehicle. Meaning ...since the at fault party put the not at fault party in a position where they have no vehicle, the insurance for the at fault party picks up the tab on their behalf. It pays for rental, along with any lost wages, injuries, property damage, etc. People just need to be sure they carry more than the minimum.
              That is exactly what I thought. I'll keep calling them this week and hopefully get someone to answer. I have the receipt for the rental, I would think all I need to do is fax it to someone. I don't get why they are making it difficult. Thanks for the clarification, Juggz!

Oh, and this wreck made me look at our policies and make adjustments to them; everything on the cars is maxed out now so in the future there shouldn't be any more problems. Next I just have to go through the homeowners policy....

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                A few weeks ago my wife was broadsided by another woman. The other woman admitted fault to the police officer and received a ticket. I tried talking to her insurance and of course they were dicks about everything, so I handled everything through my insurance company. The car is currently getting repaird, and the woman's insurance finally agreed to cover the damages.

However, we had to get a rental car for a short time. Prior to this I did not have rental car reimbursment on my policy (that has since changed). My insurance won't even help me try to get the other insurance company to pay for the rental car. When I first called the woman-at-fault's insurance it took 4 or 5 calls to get someone to return my call and they refused to pay for a rental car because it was "under investigation". Now they have accepted liability but still will not return my calls about paying for the damned rental car. What can I do? If they accepted liability don't they have to pay for the rental car? Seems like I might have to contact a lawyer since they refuse to call me back, but I really don't want to do that. Lawyers piss me off about as much as insurance companies.

Any suggestions?
                If they've accepted liability, call a manager / claims advocate to get the rental authorization handled.

Anything you've paid for up to this point is reimburseable. You need to provide a receipt for what you've paid up to this point. They can call the rental place and take over the billing agreement.

You can NOT be reimbursed for the additional insurance available to you at the time you rent a vehicle. If you've purchased this coverage, it's nice but definitely not necessary. Don't expect reimbursement for the insurance coverage if you bought it.

If you've had to cash in PTO, or unpaid time off work due to the accident, get a letter from your employer stating how much time was missed/cashed in, along with how much that equates to monetarily, and get compensated for that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MutherjuggZ View Post

Good to know.. That is always what I had heard but had no way to substantiate it since you have always made sure we had rental coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                    Next I just have to go through the homeowners policy....
                    Go through that sum'bitch with a fine-toothed comb

Be sure there's replacement cost on dwelling and personal property. Be sure there's water damage coverage, and be sure you read over the exclusions closely to find what all has been nixed from the list of items insured against.

Make sure your discounts are correct, that you are rated in the correct responding fire department territory, and that your deductibles are NOT any higher than 1%... hell 1% is the standard these days and I feel it's just too high

Comment

Good to know.. That is always what I had heard but had no way to substantiate it since you have always made sure we had rental coverage.
                      AND...now you have a $0 glass deductible too

Comment

For future reference always ask the the insurance company to arrange a rental car. This is what I have done in the past and it's never a problem.

Comment

You can NOT be reimbursed for the additional insurance available to you at the time you rent a vehicle. If you've purchased this coverage, it's nice but definitely not necessary. Don't expect reimbursement for the insurance coverage if you bought it.
                          That's good to know. I know I paid for extra insurance because I didn't want to end up getting fucked by the rental car agency. Well I have all my receipts so it shouldn't be a problem if I can just get ahold of someone. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Racewerx View Post
                            For future reference always ask the the insurance company to arrange a rental car. This is what I have done in the past and it's never a problem.
                            They will once liability has been determined... but no insurance company will authorize payment until they've obtained recorded statements from all involved parties, and liability is proven.

When you go through your own insurance for an at fault wreck, they set up your rental benefits immediately. (when coverage is on the policy for it)

Comment

Originally posted by Racewerx View Post
                              I did and they refused. That is what started this whole mess. The lade admitted fault and they told me they weren't going to cover me. Still pisses me off and I am still thinking of gettting legal help inolved just out of principle since they have been dicks.

Comment

Working...
                              X