Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr Dave-Side effects of an accident and head injury?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Dave-Side effects of an accident and head injury?

Is it possible to lose your sense of smell from being in a car accident and hitting your head quite hard? I seem to have lost probably 80% sense of smell. It seemed to have pretty much gone away soon after being involved in a car accident back in high school and really never has come back. I can smell very strong odors or things placed in front of me close to my face; but not general smells in the air, like fresh cut grass, the smell of rain in the air, most fragrances, etc. Is this something that will ever come back or is it a life long change? I also noticed about the same time that I had pretty much gotten over most of my allergies. Linked in some way? What other life long side effects can you receive from a head injury in an accident? It wasn't life threading. Just knocked me out and had a concussion for about a week.

Every now and again I will get the burning sensation in my nose similar to when you would drink a coke as a kid and it would seem to cause a fizzing in your nose lol. There will also be times where I just can't smell anything. But most the time it is a faint sense at best.

Can you taste stuff?

Comment

lay off the blow....
      Big Rooster Racing
      85' Coupe
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Can you taste stuff?
        Yes but seems pretty bland most the time. Probably explains my diet lol and no I don't eat

Comment

Originally posted by carbd89sleeper View Post
          lay off the blow....
          never touched it!

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
            never touched it!
            Maybe you should try it then?
            Originally posted by Nash B.
            Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

never touched it!
              You don't have to...just inhale...
              Big Rooster Racing
              85' Coupe
              sigpic

Comment

Anybody injured after a car accident is either a money-grabber or a pussy according to him, if they aren't bleeding severely or DOA.
                How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by carbd89sleeper View Post
                  You don't have to...just inhale...
                  Reminds me of this gem:

"When I was in England, I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale and never tried it again." –Bill Clinton

Comment

He didn't inhale, that's why he didn't like it.
                    G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                      Anybody injured after a car accident is either a money-grabber or a pussy according to him, if they aren't bleeding severely or DOA.
                      Nice generalization based on one comment I made.

Comment

Is it possible to lose your sense of smell from being in a car accident and hitting your head quite hard? I seem to have lost probably 80% sense of smell. It seemed to have pretty much gone away soon after being involved in a car accident back in high school and really never has come back. I can smell very strong odors or things placed in front of me close to my face; but not general smells in the air, like fresh cut grass, the smell of rain in the air, most fragrances, etc. Is this something that will ever come back or is it a life long change? I also noticed about the same time that I had pretty much gotten over most of my allergies. Linked in some way? What other life long side effects can you receive from a head injury in an accident? It wasn't life threading. Just knocked me out and had a concussion for about a week.

Every now and again I will get the burning sensation in my nose similar to when you would drink a coke as a kid and it would seem to cause a fizzing in your nose lol. There will also be times where I just can't smell anything. But most the time it is a faint sense at best.
                        Yes, this is a common occurrence with deceleration head injuries. The olfactory organs are very susceptible to injury where the come through the cribiform plate at the top of the nasal cavity.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                          Yes, this is a common occurrence with deceleration head injuries. The olfactory organs are very susceptible to injury where the come through the cribiform plate at the top of the nasal cavity.
                          Never going to regain sense of smell fully?

Comment

Speaking from a personal experience, I am pretty sure that it won't come back.

My mom passed out at a 4th of July party from heat exhaustion and fell straight back. She was diag'd with a mild concussion, but suffered the same thing you did: her sense of smell was almost completely nullified. Doctor said there was nothing that could be done on a therapeutic level, never heard if surgery was an option.
                            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                            dont downshift!!
                            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Nope. You will learn to maximize what you have left but it will not return to where you were before.

Comment

Working...
                              X