25 years ago today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 years ago today

The worst nuclear disaster the world has ever seen occured at Chernobyl.

I've read reports that state that what's going on in Japan currently is just as bad, if not worse. Could be media sensationalism though, only time will tell.

Comment

Comment

Yep. 25 years ago, nuclear disaster and we were fighting Ghaddafi.

Today, nuclear disaster and we were fighting Ghaddafi.

Comment

it was a hoax. just like landing on the moon.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
            Yep. 25 years ago, nuclear disaster and we were fighting Ghaddafi.

Today, nuclear disaster and we were fighting Ghaddafi.
            25 years ago we had reason to be fighting Khaddafi. Today we do not, at least from a U.S. national interest perspective.

Comment

Sounds like we need to take a road trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                I've read reports that state that what's going on in Japan currently is just as bad, if not worse. Could be media sensationalism though, only time will tell.
                They aren't really comparable, not yet at least. At Chernobyl the plant was running at full power when it melted down, meaning it was completely uncontrolled. In Japan they were actually all shut down after the earthquake. It's still radioactive but there isn't a full throttle reactor exposed to the atmosphere. Also the Japanese admitted there was a problem immediately and started working to contain it. The Russians at Chernobyl didn't even tell anyone outside of the plant there was a problem until the day after and didn't evacuate anyone until 3 days later. Everyone knew there was some kind of accident just not the scale.

The Japanese accident financially will blow away Chernobyl but the environmental impact is nowhere near the same. Even today Chernobyl is emitting radiation into the atmosphere and the containment vessel is failing, it could collapse any second and we'll have radioactive dust all over Europe again.

Comment

The Chernobyl meltdown was blown way out of proportion.
                  Originally posted by 56482
                  only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

Well they're asking for donations so they can build some barrier around it or some shit. That's what I heard on the news.

Comment

Originally posted by shoot to kill View Post
                      The Chernobyl meltdown was blown way out of proportion.
                      Cancer victims, those still alive at least, living in the area might beg to differ.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                        Cancer victims, those still alive at least, living in the area might beg to differ.
                        the amount of radiation emitted by Chernobyl is 2% of what the natural radiation is in some parts of the world. I'm not saying that it wasn't a disaster, because it was. no doubt about it. But they're having a hard time proving a lot of those cancer victims were directly affected by Chernobyl's disaster.

I'm currently writing a paper with a heavy emphasis on nuclear energy. so, i've done my research.
                        only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

Originally posted by shoot to kill View Post
                          the amount of radiation emitted by Chernobyl is 2% of what the natural radiation is in some parts of the world. I'm not saying that it wasn't a disaster, because it was. no doubt about it. But they're having a hard time proving a lot of those cancer victims were directly affected by Chernobyl's disaster.

I'm currently writing a paper with a heavy emphasis on nuclear energy. so, i've done my research.
                          I hope your paper turns out to be in favor of nuclear energy.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                            I hope your paper turns out to be in favor of nuclear energy.
                            it is.

it's about reducing dependance on fossil fuels (mainly coal).
                            only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

Chernobly is the key.

Comment

Working...
                              X