Our Big Bend Open Road Race experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Big Bend Open Road Race experience

first off, we met board member Boost Addict and his navi. you all probably remember his thread about taking his daughter to the area a month or so ago. Tony, good to meet you and your navi. i forgot his name as i killed millions of brain cells this weekend.

we get there thursday, unload and haul ass down 285 to Sanderson. we get there and the wind starts blowing along with dark clouds to the north. they come on the p.a. and tell us there is hail and a tornado on 285 heading southeast. well with me being a navigator i figured out that we were southeast. after witnessing a pavillion with a tarp roof get blown off, we decided it was time to leave. we head up 285 thinking the storm had moved east of 285. wrong... we run into dark clouds, rain and hail. the only thing missing was the tornado. we turn around and haul ass back to Sanderson, pull over once it looked ok to figure out what to do. so out in the desert with tornado sirens blaring from somewhere, we then determined that we should head west on hwy 90 to Marathon and go up 385 to Fort Stockton. Success!!

race day, let me say that in our 8 years of doing these, this was the best organized, well-run event yet. it would have went smoother had one of the unlimited cars not burned up. we take off and have the most fun we've ever had running these things. the car ran really strong and had a hard time keeping it under 124 MPH tech speed. our target speed and time were 110mph/32:10.909 each leg. we finish the first leg pretty good at 110.048mph/32:10.061. well in position to place. then the return trip happens.... Dave's GPS phuct up so we were down to mine and a countdown timer. with 10 miles to go, my GPS takes a shit. we are 10 miles from the finish with no telemetry. i get one working but all i have is moving speed. no odometer, no average MPH. we finished up 7.882 seconds slow for an average of 109.776 mph. not bad.

all in all it was a great time dave (racewerx) drove his ass off and the 43 year old Mustang did awesome. already looking forward to next year and the 115 or 120 class.

Russell, thanks buddy for the use of the arm restraints. PM your address to me and i will ship them to you asap.

Tony once again, it was damn good to meet you and your navi. had some good laughs out there.

pics to follow..
    95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

http://www.bborr.com/2013/2013results.html#115

i didn't hardly take any this year but here is what i took.

racewerx, me, boost addict, his navi

Boost Addicts car with ours in the background

an awesome 85 GT with a bad ass 408. this car is for sale and i know the owner pretty well.

GT

cool Lotus

long time tech chief finally getting to run one. Mike Domingez.

the line in the morning

you sometimes have a lot of time to stand around... we found this embedded in the road.
    95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

Comment

Thats one of my favorite parts of Texas. Every few months in order to keep my sanity I work between Del Rio and Alpine. It drives my wife nuts but I sure like the scenery looking out my window.

Comment

Ugh I forgot all about that!

Comment

How much is the 85 gt?

Comment

that looks like it would be cool as hell to do

Comment

Originally posted by 78X View Post
              How much is the 85 gt?
              i believe he wants 9,900.00 for it. it is piece or art, underhood, under the car and the most incredible fox body i have ever seen. he made the hood mods himself.

he spent over 13K on the driveline last year. he had it at the texas mile this year too.
              95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

Comment

Originally posted by grove rat View Post
                that looks like it would be cool as hell to do
                it is. it's fucking awesome.
                95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

Comment

VERY cool! I really need to make the trip, soon. Sounds like you did a helluva job with the dead-reckoning on the last leg.
                  "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

So did you guys win?
                    Originally posted by Nash B.
                    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                      So did you guys win?
                      no, we finished 22nd out of the 39 in our class. we should dominate the 115 class next year though.

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                      VERY cool! I really need to make the trip, soon. Sounds like you did a helluva job with the dead-reckoning on the last leg.
                      yeah, it was a battle on the return leg. dave drove his ass off but i can't wait to see the speed traps and see what our speeds were. i bet they look like a rollercoaster.
                      95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

Comment

It was an awesome event! That's the most fun I've had in a motor vehicle....well, almost. Lol

It was great fun hanging with you guys. It was quite obvious who the life of the party is at that event! Awesome on the times. You would have probably placed for sure.

As for AJ and I, we really didn't care how we did it was all for fun. We will come back next year with some better instrumentation and try a little harder to hit our target speed. We averaged right on 125 mph according to our gps but not sure how we placed.

We will move up to 145 next year. It was almost impossible to stay below the 140mph tech speed in the supra. The car just begs to be driven 160-170.

So what do you guys think about a road trip to Nebraska in August? Lol that event sounds challenging!
                        1990 Mustang GT - 8.17 @ 176
                        1994 Supra TT - 6 speed
                        2013 Viper Coupe - Just a Dodge
                        2009 Rubicon - Lifted, geared, bumpered
                        1991 Syclone - 25K miles
                        1970 Roadrunner - Thanks Gary
                        2013 GT500, 2016 Hellcat, 1972 C10
                        1999 Baja - Water Toy

Comment

I was there if you saw the blue van with the camper and tent at gate 28 that was our group.

Comment

Originally posted by boost addict View Post
                            It was an awesome event! That's the most fun I've had in a motor vehicle....well, almost. Lol

It was great fun hanging with you guys. It was quite obvious who the life of the party is at that event! Awesome on the times. You would have probably placed for sure.

As for AJ and I, we really didn't care how we did it was all for fun. We will come back next year with some better instrumentation and try a little harder to hit our target speed. We averaged right on 125 mph according to our gps but not sure how we placed.

We will move up to 145 next year. It was almost impossible to stay below the 140mph tech speed in the supra. The car just begs to be driven 160-170.

So what do you guys think about a road trip to Nebraska in August? Lol that event sounds challenging!
                            yeah, it was great meeting you too. we like to have a good time out there for sure.

i think you finished 4th or 5th in the 125 class.

there's no way we are running the Nebraska race. that thing is a wreck waiting to happen!!

man, 145 would be awesome to run for sure. we are bumping up to 115 or 120.
                            95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

Comment

Originally posted by chevyhater01 View Post
                              I was there if you saw the blue van with the camper and tent at gate 28 that was our group.
                              cool! i think i do remember seeing that. how did we sound and look on the road at speed?

you should have found us at Rooney Park after the event.
                              95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

Comment

Working...
                              X