Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i figured this was the best place to ask...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i figured this was the best place to ask...

I'm thinking about getting a dog. I've had some experience with them at my parents' house when I was younger but now I'm out on my own and I really want a buddy to hang out with. I'm single and I live in an apartment by myself. Before any of you go out and try to talk me out of it, don't bother. I've made my decision and I want one. I'm basically just looking for some tips and pointers as far as taking care of one and all that jazz. I won't be getting one until august-september (around the start of the fall semester.) I've still gotta save up a bit of money to actually get the dog and for the first vet visit, toys, etc. A few questions in particular would be: (i know cheap and good don't really go together) What's the best food to get on a budget? Potty training techniques? etc.

I will be looking for a medium to large dog. ( i.e.Siberian Husky, St. Bernard)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I do have a small backyard for him to do his business in. so that's not really a problem as far as my apt complex is concerned.
    Originally posted by 56482
    only on DFWMUstangs...

Well, it sounds like you have already made your mind up.

My two cents though, if you are in apartment don't get a dog that has a lot of energy or likes to run. Oh, and check out shelters too. Help a dog in need. Do your research and pick a dog for your needs. It took me a few months to find mine. I didn't want an annoying yapping overly energetic dog and finally found one.
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Does your apartment complex allow big dogs?

Comment

Stay away from working breeds, living in an apartment. They'll be bored to death if they're left alone and don't have a job to do. This will manifest itself into destructive tendencies.

Pet food, pick something with meat as the main ingredient. It'll be more expensive, but will last longer, because you fees them less.

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
          That would be my question. Most complexes cap the weight at 40 lbs.

You'd do better with a bull dog, but they're a hell of an investment.

Other considerations are your pet deposit and monthly pet rent. Research your breeds for their energy level, and like someone else said, consider getting an adult surrendered to the humane society. Training a puppy, in an apartment, without much interaction during the day is very difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by 347mike
            My two cents though, if you are in apartment don't get a dog that has a lot of energy or likes to run. Oh, and check out shelters too. Help a dog in need. Do your research and pick a dog for your needs. It took me a few months to find mine. I didn't want an annoying yapping overly energetic dog and finally found one.
            I've thought about this one. My mother keeps telling me to get a terrier but those dogs are way to high stung for me. I don't mind playing around and walking/running with it, but there are limits. I've checked the local shelter and they have a gorgeous husky for adoption but it has a history of abuse. I don't think i want do deal with the trust issues and things like that with a previously abused dog.

Originally posted by aCid
            I'm not sure of this one yet. I will be getting more details when my lease is up for renewal. (august)

Originally posted by ComeAgainJen
            Stay away from working breeds, living in an apartment. They'll be bored to death if they're left alone and don't have a job to do. This will manifest itself into destructive tendencies.

Pet food, pick something with meat as the main ingredient. It'll be more expensive, but will last longer, because you fees them less.
            Good information! Thank you!
            only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

Originally posted by ComeAgainJen View Post
              That would be my question. Most complexes cap the weight at 40 lbs.

You'd do better with a bull dog, but they're a hell of an investment.
              I'm open to smaller framed dogs, i just want the dog to look good. I'm very picky about these things.
              only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

I have a miniature beagle that I'm looking to get rid off to a good home. He's coming up on 2years old.

sent from my htc EVO 4G, "the iCrap killer"
                --carlos

sigpic

Comment

for an apartment get an english bulldog, they like to lay around all day and do nothing

Comment

Originally posted by shoot to kill View Post
                    I'm open to smaller framed dogs, i just want the dog to look good. I'm very picky about these things.
                    A healthy bulldog will weigh under 50 lbs, but they're hosses. There is no such thing as a cheap bull dog. Ours was retired from a breeder. Since we got her, we've battled folliculitis from a nervous/bored licking habit she developed by being kenneled, systemic yeast from antibiotics, she just had surgery to correct her eyelids and remove a blood clot from her ears. Next surgery will be this fall to correct her inverted tail. She came from a very reputable breeder in this area.

You also need to check out your complex's breed restrictions.

Comment

In all honesty... Don't get a dog till you get a house or someone else that lives with you. If you need a "Friend" or something buy a blow up doll or something. Say you wanna go out one weekend, and you get fucked up and can't leave your friends house. What are you going to do about the dog?

Comment

In all honesty... Don't get a dog till you get a house or someone else that lives with you. If you need a "Friend" or something buy a blow up doll or something. Say you wanna go out one weekend, and you get fucked up and can't leave your friends house. What are you going to do about the dog?
                        What?
                        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                          What?
                          Read it REAAALLLYYY slow, it will piece itself together.

Comment

Read it REAAALLLYYY slow, it will piece itself together.
                            Yeah, I got it, but your advice is terrible. There are 5-6 apartments in Euless that have a dog park in the heart of them all. I guess none of them should have a dog. Who lets a dog out at 4 in the morning? My dog goes out before I go to bed, anywhere from 8 to 12 and doesn't go out until 8 sometimes 9 the next morning.

Comment

Originally posted by shoot to kill View Post
                              I've thought about this one. My mother keeps telling me to get a terrier but those dogs are way to high stung for me. I don't mind playing around and walking/running with it, but there are limits. I've checked the local shelter and they have a gorgeous husky for adoption but it has a history of abuse. I don't think i want do deal with the trust issues and things like that with a previously abused dog.

I'm not sure of this one yet. I will be getting more details when my lease is up for renewal. (august)

Good information! Thank you!

Dont think an abused dog is a bad dog...they are VERY resilient and can make amazing dogs. My female mastiff was abused but she is the sweetest dog in the world. She tries to be a 150lb lap dog.

Im with the people above. Working class dogs will need daily exercise. While they can make great apartment dogs, they have LOTS of energy. A husky is made to exercise. St Bernard will be much more of a lazy dog. Giant breeds often make GREAT apartment dogs because they are huge and lazy, but most apartments will not allow them.

Best dogs in my opinion but are expensive to upkeep:
                              English Mastiff
                              Bull Mastiff
                              Great Dane
                              St Bernard

Great dogs that are medium sized but need a lot of exercise:
                              Labs
                              Retrievers
                              Border Collies
                              Aussies

Small little shit dogs I dont like but would do well in an apartment:
                              Yorkie
                              Shitzu (sp?)
                              Maltese
                              Westy
                              Dachusund
                              Chihuahua

Dog food should be picked for quality over quantity because you will feed less of a quality food and pick up less crap. My favorite (which we have been feeding for years) is Costco's Kirklands brand. It rates very high on the dog food grading list (google the list and grading criteria) and is very affordable at $20-22 for 40lbs. Nutro is also a great brand at Petsmart that is affordable. There are other "better" brands out there like Candidae, Blue Buffalo, Holistic Pack, etc but they can get closer to $1-2/lb of food vs the $.50/lb. Dont buy Ol'Roy from Walmart.

Im glad to see you are doing your research into owning a pet. Most people dont seem to. I would also recommend a rescue or going to your local shelter (Dallas SPCA is HUGE and has tons of dogs that will be put down if no one tries to adopt them). Rescue organizations can be a little more of a hassle as they will want to interview you and check out your apartment and what not. Sounds like a hassle but they are looking out for the best interest of the dog. Dont need a neglected/abused dog to go to another crappy home.

Comment

Working...
                              X