drafting an 18 wheeler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drafting an 18 wheeler

so ive got this semi running as my bird dog here on 35 doing 90- how close does a car have to get to get a decent enough draft from a rig that size? ( i wouldnt do something that stupid just thinking out loud here) shit his peterbilt is nearing 100 mph now, guy is moving

Originally posted by 78X View Post
    so ive got this semi running as my bird dog here on 35 doing 90- how close does a car have to get to get a decent enough draft from a rig that size? ( i wouldnt do something that stupid just thinking out loud here) shit his peterbilt is nearing 100 mph now, guy is moving
    with as much air gets under the trailer, it's wasted effort, unless it's a lowboy of some sort
    pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Mythbusters says less than 2 feet.
      Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
        with as much air gets under the trailer, it's wasted effort, unless it's a lowboy of some sort
        whats funny is his trailer has wind skirts on it

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
          Mythbusters says less than 2 feet.
          aye, i knew they did an episode on that thanks

Comment

Why the fuck is an 18 wheeler doing 90ish?

I actually saw an 18 wheeler wreck on my way to Houston Friday. It looks like he jumped the guard rail and ate the slope part of the under pass face first.
            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I actually saw an 18 wheeler wreck on my way to Houston Friday. It looks like he jumped the guard rail and ate the slope part of the under pass face first.
              i guess he is late for something. surprised not more traffic today, currently running 95 but i bet he backs off once we hit alvarado

Comment

Texting and driving! Superb!

Comment

Myth busters did this. They claimed something like a 25% increase at 20 or so feet out. They did it with a regular semi, and a dodge magnum was the drafter.

I tested this last weekend.

I made a 250 mile road trip, and for an 80 mile stretch of i-45 I drafted a semi at 80 MPH, the whole time.

I immediately filled up, and got 21.1 MPG. I average 18, and havnt seen anything above 18.5 in over 3 years. 230K mile '97 full size chevy.

I believe it absolutely works.
                  DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Texting and driving! Superb!
                    *ahem* posting and driving

Comment

I'm beginning to think mythbusters is full of shit. When I had my Suzuki 125, I could go much faster behind an 18 wheeler. If I remember correctly, my doodlebug would do the same thing. I used to hate to get beside an 18 wheeler in those. It was like a vacumn trying to pull me under the trailer.

Comment

if it was near alma, i saw that one too.

Comment

Originally posted by flybye70ss View Post
                          if it was near alma, i saw that one too.
                          I don't remember where it was exactly but had to drive to westheimer in Houston, I passed it maybe 15minutes after it happened (police looked like they just arrived) and they were still there on my way back 2-3 hours later pulling the trailer out of the ditch. The traffic had to stretch for atleast 5 miles. I was glad I woke at 3 AM to get there! There was a pick up truck or SUV i want to say that was involved too, hope everyone is well..

Comment

if you leave some room about 3-4 car lengths youll get better drafting. ive watched the fuel avg gauge on my truck and if you stay back a lil bit it does better than being right behind the other vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                              if you leave some room about 3-4 car lengths youll get better drafting. ive watched the fuel avg gauge on my truck and if you stay back a lil bit it does better than being right behind the other vehicle.
                              That's because you're using too much gas pedal tryin to stay close. The nervousness of being so close causes you to waste gas by feathering the throttle all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X