Need diesel advice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post
    If you were going to go out and purchase a "new to you" diesel truck what would it be?

As for the guys claiming Duramax as be the route to go, what are you basing your opinion on?
    honestly? it would probably be a 6.7 Cummins with a 6sp manual... I have owned 15 Dodge diesels over the years and have had awesome luck with them. It's just hard to walk away from that and go into the unknown.

BUT, I was seriously considering a 6.4 Ford when it looked like I was going to be buying another service truck.

Then I found out I might have to buy a brand new truck. The Ford and GM have a lot going for them, but I know I would chicken out and just go for the tried and true straight 6

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the newer diesels if you do your homework and buy right.

Go test drive a few and pick the one you like most.
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Yep, I am wrong on the dpf. I would love an old nice 12 v Dodge but those are few and far between. The inline 6 lasts the longest internally compaired to the V8's because the plain fact of in line force to V8 force, but the Dodges have gremlins in the transmissions and fuel systems. Manuel trans is the only way to go with a Dodge. Also pending on the year of the truck it may have the weak lift pump system (04.5 and down Cooter?) That damages the rest of the fuel system. Fords have a gaggle of problems, 6.0's had injector, egr, egr cooler, ipr, icp and the most well know is the head gaskets. You can make one almost bullet proof by installing hardened head studs and an egr delete but it is pricey. I got out just as the 6.4's were showing up but we modded my former bosses with a Spartan programmer stacked with a Dr. Performance module and full exhaust and it was a beast. In my 2 years in service at that shop I would guess we worked on 5 Duramax trucks(besides the 200k warrantied injector issue on the early engines), they just didnt break. They also have the Allison trans, which I only saw one break under a modded engine and an owner that liked doing 4wd launches. I will admit with the gas company Chevy's that the truck would fall apart around the drivetrain like GM's like to do.
      Last edited by Scott Mc; 04-22-2011, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I've heard bad things about the Allisons in the GM trucks
        1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Working...
        X