Need diesel advice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need diesel advice..

My 04' dodge 2500 was stolen earlier in the week so now it appears I'm in the truck market. The old 5.9 cummins has been a great engine for me with no significant issues. I'm looking to get back in another 3/4 or 1 ton truck but I'm unsure which rout to go, whatever it is will be atleast year old used.

I love the cummins but hate Dodges interior & I like ford interior but not a big fan of the powerstroke. Are there any common big issues Wth the newer dodge 5.9/6.7 or the fords 6.4/6.7? Advantages/disadvantages of each? Compareable fuel consumption? Anything else to watch for?
    The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

That blows.

Im planning on replacing my stolen truck with another at some point later this year.

Ive been more than pleased with the 6.7 Dodges that Ive read on and looked at. Same with the 6.4 Fords. All things being said the emissions shit has to go. Overall, I liked the Dodge interior better on the 06-09(?) models. In the end its the same plastic shit in different molds.

The thing that I hated most about Fords was they steer like absolute fucking shit.

Just go out and drive one. They'll all do anything anyone could want. Just have to decide what bugs you the most (price, interior, whatever).

Comment

They all have their pro's and cons. After working at a diesel shop for 2 years I would buy Government Motors over Ford or Dodge.

Comment

Duramax

Comment

Im not so much against the Duramax as I am aginst a Chevrolet product, any that I have own have turned out to be headaches with age. I may drive one befor I pull the trigger but at this time it's between Ford & Dodge. We have two F-450 work trucks with the 6.4 and one F-350 with the 6.7, of the two 450's one runs good and the other runs rather crappy (constanly cleaning the exhaust filter & when cleaning the filter it's all it will do to make it up the small hills on 287 w/13-14k lbs. behind it.) The 6.7 has good low end power with gobs of torque but is extremly slow to spool and I've never had more than 8-9K lbs. behind it. Im also unsure of the urea injection.

I have been out of the diesel world for awhile because I had planned on keeping this 5.9 for atleast another 5-6 years. I know all the exhaust filtes and emmissions related crap has killed the fuel mileage but Im not against "tweaking" it a little.

Im more or less looking for the one that will get the best mpg. with good power and minimal issues. Which will be cheaper to work on should they need repairs? The only thing I tow of signifigant weight is a gooseneck flatbed with 15k lbs or so of hay on it several times during the spring/summer month. the rest of the time will be spent as a family/grocery/work commuter.
          The Daily

Comment

Sounds like you chose the Duramax and just dont know it yet sir.

Comment

if he is wise, he will.

Comment

I would love a pre emissions new body style 2wd with a PPE on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                  I would love a pre emissions new body style 2wd with a PPE on it.
                  I'm sure a lot of people would... but there are no pre-DPF NBS trucks
                  http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I could be wrong, I thought there was 6 months of them. It has been a few years. I was wondering when you would chime in.

Comment

07's built in 06 got the "classic" body style and the LBZ engine (no DPF)

07's built in 07 got the new body style and the LMM engine (and DPF)

Comment

08-10 ford with the 6.4 with a few emissions tweaks and a tune it'll make 5-600 at the wheels and get upper teens in the mileage dept.

Comment

6.4's are beasts

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                            6.4's are beasts
                            If you were going to go out and purchase a "new to you" diesel truck what would it be?

As for the guys claiming Duramax as be the route to go, what are you basing your opinion on?
                            The Daily

Comment

Lots of trucks getting stolen recently... My uncles was stolen from a soccer complex in Rockwall 2 months ago and got a phone call from the Laredo Police department last week... Apparently it had been used for smuggling... It was driven until the motor was shot and just about every body part was crushed... Then was dumped in a pasture

Comment

Working...
                              X