Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between veg oil & bio diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between veg oil & bio diesel?

I get that raw veg oil has to be filtered to prevent particulate from screwing up injectors and pumps, but why is it they add lye and methanol to it? Why can't people just use the filtered oil?

They can, but bio diesel has had the glycerine removed from it.

Raw oil has to be heated so that the viscosity is thin enough. Running straight oil is safer on older, lower pressure diesels. I wouldn't trust a common rail to svw/wvo personally
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
      They can, but bio diesel has had the glycerine removed from it.

Raw oil has to be heated so that the viscosity is thin enough. Running straight oil is safer on older, lower pressure diesels. I wouldn't trust a common rail to svw/wvo personally

I remember reading where on veg oil, you start and stop with diesel because the veg oil will thicken/gum up if left to cool. Is it because if the glycerine?

Comment

The biodiesel process actually refines the end product into fuel (what Cooter explained) and veggie oil is just kind of a jerry-rigged mess that you hope will work when its all said and done.

I'd never consider putting waste veggie oil in my truck. I run biodiesel regularly.

Comment

Both are hard to find now..

Comment

If you don't refine it, it will trash your tank and leave a slimy film that plugs filters, chokes off lines and kills transfer pumps. My boss used to run about 25% vegetable oil in a full tank of diesel but as soon as it got down in the lower 60's to high 50's, it would need a fuel heater.

Comment

Bio deisel also fucks up injectors and fuel lines. It gels up in cooler weather. I've made a lot of money on trucks that had bio-D that sat in cool/cold weather.
              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
              X