No announcement yet.

Explaining a pet's death to kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bummer. Just found out my 11 year old cat also has terminal cancer. You either have a choice, explain death or say they ran away. Depends on how old the child is. I would personally tell the truth, then get another cat.

Comment

Make them watch Old Yeller. Then hand them the gun and tell they know what needs to be done.

Comment

We had a pet cow when I was little, and when we ate him I told my little sister it went out for lunch and got lost.

She thought it was completely plausible and we had a freezer full of steaks and hamburgers. In short, little kids will believe anything.

Comment

I knew there would be some dark humor. I LOL'd. Yeah it sucks, but my kids will be fine I know. They are 4 & 5 yo. My daughter still brings up her last "lost" kitty from 3 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
            I knew there would be some dark humor. I LOL'd. Yeah it sucks, but my kids will be fine I know. They are 4 & 5 yo. My daughter still brings up her last "lost" kitty from 3 years ago.
            Tough call, but I don't think I'd put both down at once. That's a shit ton of loss in one setting for the kids, but it would really depend how you've addressed death with them, and how well they cope with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 80coupe View Post
              nope!
              Yeah "Cause the first thing you gotta learn if your gonna be a racecar driver is you don't listen to losers like your know it all teacher. Your teacher wants you to go slow! Its the fastest who gets paid and its the fastest who get laid!"
              Last edited by carbd89sleeper; 04-22-2011, 03:34 PM.
              Big Rooster Racing
              85' Coupe
              sigpic

Comment

Or you could buy a pony - they'll forget about the cats and you can have them put down at your leisure.

Comment

Working...
                X