Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here have a "Smokin Tex" electric smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here have a "Smokin Tex" electric smoker?

Been looking at these and brought one home today. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? Suppose to be one step down from the Cook Shack smokers which are good ones. Pretty plain Jane for the most part. No bells or whistles, just a temp knob. Got the model 1400. Just could not afford a bigger one.

BGE give out on you? Can't figure out why you'd need two smokers.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I had one but gave it to my dad a while back. I like a traditional smoker(gives me an excuse to stay outside and drink beer)

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        BGE give out on you? Can't figure out why you'd need two smokers.
        BGE is still Kickin. It's hard for the BGE to smoke for 12-14 hours. You have to refill it. Usually about 8 hours is all the BGE is good for on one batch of coal. The electric smoker is just plain easy. I find it nice to have both.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Name Here View Post
          I had one but gave it to my dad a while back. I like a traditional smoker(gives me an excuse to stay outside and drink beer)
          You sir have a valid point. But this does not stop me from drinking beer. How long has he had it? Any problems?

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
            BGE is still Kickin. It's hard for the BGE to smoke for 12-14 hours. You have to refill it. Usually about 8 hours is all the BGE is good for on one batch of coal. The electric smoker is just plain easy. I find it nice to have both.
            You're going to have to stoke the fire a little regardless of which smoker you use. It's just the nature of the beast.

Comment

You sir have a valid point. But this does not stop me from drinking beer. How long has he had it? Any problems?
              Well he is BBQing with Jesus but he nor I ever had any problems. Set it and forget it.

Comment

I do not have a smokin tex, but I did just buy a electric smoker to see how well I liked it before I spent a whole bunch of money. All I can say is I can not believe I waited this long to buy one. Way easier to deal with and the same flavor. Just plug it up and add some wood every 30-45 minutes for the first two hours then let it finish up. The wood chips are cheap and I have smoked three times and have half a bag left of pecan. It is a really small bag also like about half the size of a Doritos bag. When this one dies I am going to buy a smoke shack.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                  You're going to have to stoke the fire a little regardless of which smoker you use. It's just the nature of the beast.
                  My UDS will go 16+ hours without adding anything or touching the fire basket. Only thing I have to do is adjust the intake air.
                  Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                  Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

I think Nick has one, PM him and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                      My UDS will go 16+ hours without adding anything or touching the fire basket. Only thing I have to do is adjust the intake air.
                      If you have the capacity to hold 30+ pounds of charcoal then yeah you obviously have the capability to keep the smoker going for that long. I think most people probably have the capacity to hold 15 pounds, maybe 20 pounds, but that would probably be pushing it.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        I do not have a smokin tex, but I did just buy a electric smoker to see how well I liked it before I spent a whole bunch of money. All I can say is I can not believe I waited this long to buy one. Way easier to deal with and the same flavor. Just plug it up and add some wood every 30-45 minutes for the first two hours then let it finish up. The wood chips are cheap and I have smoked three times and have half a bag left of pecan. It is a really small bag also like about half the size of a Doritos bag. When this one dies I am going to buy a smoke shack.
                        The smoke shack is definitely the best one. I probably should have went that direction. But this was a tad bigger with more shelves and same warranty.

If you bought a Master built or Cajun injector you might get 1.5 years out of it if your lucky. I've had two crap out after one year and 3 months. The wire connection corrodes on the back of the element. Specifically the left wire.

Comment

The smoke shack is definitely the best one. I probably should have went that direction. But this was a tad bigger with more shelves and same warranty.

If you bought a Master built or Cajun injector you might get 1.5 years out of it if your lucky. I've had two crap out after one year and 3 months. The wire connection corrodes on the back of the element. Specifically the left wire.
                          Cajun one at Academy for 179.00. I saved so much dang money on the gas grill I bought it was like I got it for free. LOL So 1.5 years is a win for me. I love this little bas$ard and the ease of use.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Comment

Working...
                            X