797 fires,1.44 million acres,285 buildings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 797 fires,1.44 million acres,285 buildings

The forest service said 797 fires have burned 1.44 million acres of land and destroyed 285 buildings.
    Firefighters gained some ground Wednesday in the battle against wildfires that have charred 1 million acres in Texas, officials said.

Palo Pinto evacuated

Palo Pinto, Texas—
    For the past few days the massive wildfire had been moving northward, but a shift in the winds created a huge cloud of smoke.

Moments later, the city of Palo Pinto was evacuated.

Game wardens were sent door to door warning residents it was in their best interest to leave.

"We're not forcing anybody out and if they don't want to leave we're getting their name and contact info so we can get back to them", said Game Warden Steven Cantu.

Joe Lee and his wife left taking with them a 5th wheel. They parked a few miles away on the side of Highway 180 not knowing exactly what to do. They could only watch as the cloud of smoke moved in their direction.

"If they don't let us back in, there are several trailer parks in mineral wells. But if they do we'll go back", Lee said.

Part of the street downtown was blocked off and inmates were evacuated from the county jail. A few remained to hose down the roof.

The fires burning now are a combination of four fires that have all merged creating what is being called the PK Complex fire. It has scorched nearly 150,000 thousand acres taking with it dozens of homes. It's only about a quarter contained.

"We're looking at challenging conditions for the immediate future for sure, and when you throw these winds in and these warm temperatures, and that makes it very difficult to fight fires" said public information officer David Boyd.

This is the same fire burning around Possum Kingdom Lake. We're now learning dozens of homes on the lake have burned to the ground.

"It was amazing devastation. It completely burned forest, houses that were burned. It was just horrible for the whole community. It's going to take some time to recover from this", said state trooper Lonny Haschel.

The area has been under an evacuation order since Sunday.

And even a roadside in Palo Pinto is proving to be unsafe as well. Deputies had to order onlookers and residents including the Lees to leave

I can't tell WTH is going on with these fires. Seems terrible though (as an understatement) Just hard to know what's expected of them and such. Maybe the coming rain will assist a little bit.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I was going to make reservations to go camping at mineral wells for next month, guess I'll wait and see how far this fire decides to go. They brought in a super tanker out of California and had it at the air port here yesterday.

Comment

What a terrible scenario. From what I have heard, that is a beautiful area too.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          What a terrible scenario. From what I have heard, that is a beautiful area too.
          Yeah, it's nice land. A friend of mine has plans to move to a family owned house that is about 1 mile away from one of the fires. He is actually headed up there to help move things out of the house instead.

Comment

thats bad
            first class white trash

Comment

Used to camp/scuba at PK. Damn...
              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Some really good photos of the fires around the state

The Atlantic, The Atlantic Magazine, TheAtlantic.com, Atlantic, news, opinion, breaking news, analysis, commentary, business, politics, culture, international, science, technology, national and life

Comment

It's a good thing I live in the desert...

...it's really not.

Comment

When people evacuate there homes why do they leave their pets fenced up? Open the damn gates...instead of letting the poor animal burn to death.
                    www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

A good friend of mine has a lakehouse on PK. I hope it was spared but it doesn't look too good.

Comment

I have so many clients out there who have lost EVERYTHING. So sad
                        Originally posted by Vertnut
                        I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by flybye70ss View Post
                          A good friend of mine has a lakehouse on PK. I hope it was spared but it doesn't look too good.
                          Same here, but from what i can tell the fire is still a few miles away from where he lives.

Comment

Working...
                          X