Negotiating a salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
    If they wanted me to Travel I'd demand a company credit card. No way in hell I'm going to be out several thousand dollars waiting to get reimbursed on an expense report. I don't see the logic in companys that make hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars a year expecting their employees to bank roll them and wait on expense reports to be reimbursed. Here's a thought. What happends if the company goes bankrupt and your left with 5k to to 10k in business expenses on your personal credit card. FUCK THAT. I spend over 140 days a year out of town and my company gives me a corporate lodging card for hotels and my per diem is paid on every pay check. If they won't give you a company credit card the very least I'd do is have them front me one months average expenses so I'd be one month a head and never left holding the bag if and when they go belly up.
    Yea, I have a company card, but I really only use it for airfare and hotel.

In regards to the food I use my personal funds because I'd rather them not see what I eat, what time, etc.

Comment

If they wanted me to Travel I'd demand a company credit card. No way in hell I'm going to be out several thousand dollars waiting to get reimbursed on an expense report. I don't see the logic in companys that make hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars a year expecting their employees to bank roll them and wait on expense reports to be reimbursed. Here's a thought. What happends if the company goes bankrupt and your left with 5k to to 10k in business expenses on your personal credit card. FUCK THAT. I spend over 140 days a year out of town and my company gives me a corporate lodging card for hotels and my per diem is paid on every pay check. If they won't give you a company credit card the very least I'd do is have them front me one months average expenses so I'd be one month a head and never left holding the bag if and when they go belly up.
      You must not travel often on company business.

I use my Discover for everything, and it consistently has a balance of $1k-$10k, depending upon what I'm doing... I'm late submitting an expense report at times, but that's up to me. They pay me back very quickly and without question.

Perks on cc > hotel points/airline miles

You just need to know how to work the system.

In addition, to the OP - consistent travel gets old, quick. Fortunately you're single with no kids so that helps.

Don't shortsight your immediate financial gain for long term career growth.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
        Work travel is only good if you actually have time to go places and see them. When I traveled for work, it seemed that our actual hours worked was so high that there really wasnt time to enjoy the place. Sure there was a local dinner, but not enough time to explore.
        Word. When I travel I have to publish notes virtually everyday about what I was doing. Plane ride home to the West Coast...write a note, get home at midnight and publish, blast it at 5 am the next morning. I hate work travel.
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

You guys must literally work 24x7 when you travel if you have no time to adventure out. lol Theres usually always time to do something when I am out of town and that is with working 12-14 hour days.

To each their own though. I can see that going to the same place over and over may get a little boring or even tiring at times but, it is different, and different comes with some additional benefits.
          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
            You guys must literally work 24x7 when you travel if you have no time to adventure out. lol Theres usually always time to do something when I am out of town and that is with working 12-14 hour days.

To each their own though. I can see that going to the same place over and over may get a little boring or even tiring at times but, it is different, and different comes with some additional benefits.
            Yes, analyst days or investor conferences and I have to get notes published same day and blasted the next day 1 hour before market open b/c we send out voice mail blasts on it to a restricted buy-side asset mgr list.
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

As others have said, work travel gets old after a while. It's fun at first, but after the newness wears off it sucks. I think it would be fun if you traveled with a team, and you were all friends.

I traveled alone and I got to the point where I felt like I was wasting my life in either an airport or hotel. There was a period where I was only home long enough to wash my clothes and take care of my shit at home and then it was time to leave again.

All that being said...I'm glad I did it and now I don't have to worry about "how cool it is" anymore.

Comment

If all else fails you can armbar your manager until she agrees to your terms and conditions.
                Originally posted by talisman
                I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                Originally posted by AdamLX
                If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                Because fuck you, that's why
                Originally posted by 80coupe
                nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                Originally posted by Rick Modena
                ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                Originally posted by Jester
                Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
                  It was mentioned if I had a couple more years of experience in this group, as an equal to my manager's role, the salary would be about 120% more than I make now.
                  they're telling you, they're not sure you're as good as she is... make a list of things you do as well and show them...

You gotta show them you're worth the extra cash...

its been said but this is only two years, it will be over before you know it and you'll be moving up again... Being a road warrior is fun for a while but it gets old...

Comment

Will they let you expense hookers n blow?

Comment

If they wanted me to Travel I'd demand a company credit card.
                      Out of all my jobs, the only one that gave me a card was the US Army. I've worked for small and large organizations and they all do it w/o company cards. There are a 1001 reasons for this, but I've seen in the past you're not able to understand anything but what you've made your mind up on. I don't agree or disagree with your opinion. Just is what it is if you want to work for a company.

The goal is to minimize your exposure to risk, so you do everything needed/required since it is on your dime. Every so often the company may turn into dweebs for a little, so if it hits that 10K mark - I stop traveling until reimbursed. Although, that's not as much of an issue these days since generally companies can reject/not reimburse line items - not the whole report.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                        Will they let you expense hookers n blow?
                        No I've seen that tried when working contract jobs overseas. (people trying to expense hookers) Never works out of the people trying...
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                        X