No announcement yet.

Negotiating a salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, dig into their travel and expenses policies.

If per diem, you won't eat great but you can make money. (Buy groceries...etc) You won't have to worry about receipts either.

If say 15 for breakfast, 25 for lunch, 45 for dinner - you'll eat great. Plus you have to keep EVERY DAMN RECEIPT.

Mileage policy or car allowance?

Do they let you chose the hotel? (points) Airline (other kickbacks...etc)?

What is the limit on the hotel? Will you be stuck in shitty hotels? I stay in mid-range hotels and that sucks after even 2-3 days. I would hate staying in 49.95 hotels or whatever cheap hotels cost.

What is the reimbursement policy? Remember, if they only reimburse every 2 weeks or 4 weeks you WILL get hit with finance charges. That alone costs me more then I really want to give up per month. Sometimes I'll have 6-10K outstanding and it blows trying to get all that expensed.

Do they deny WHOLE expense reports if there is a problem or just line items?

Cell phone allowance?

Home office allowance? (for internet...etc)

When you have to travel you can make money, break even or get cost money. it is NEVER acceptable but to be able to make money. Why? Because you're going to lose receipts and stuff and need to be able to absorb that and finance charges.

Edit: Also remember, airport delays and all that crap that cause you to be gone a whole lot more. What is the policy on reimbursing for flight changes and such? In case you can't tell, I've been burned one way or another on all of these almost. It's not a big deal if you know what to expect and can do what is needed. If you assume anything though, you may get stuck with a receipt that you're not getting reimbursed for at all.

Hotel Internet...etc. Consider it all man.

Remember that you're going to spend 1-2 hours a week just filling out expenses too. I usually just make Sunday mornings my expense time. A good scanner and you're set. (assume emailing them in is acceptable.) Never mail the originals without scanned backups and push to just send in copies. Use credit for EVERYTHING. Never use cash unless it is something you can't expense anyway.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Definitely consider the resume building aspect of this role. Also, is there a difference in bonus (annual or otherwise) between the old and new roles?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        Traveling on someone elses dime would be appealing to me. Always try to negotiate for more of course.
        I love traveling for work. It's nice because I've been working from home for over about 4 years now, so it gets me out of the house.

The only part I dislike about this role is that i'll be traveling to the saaaaammmeeee location!

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
        Are you married? Kids?

I think a lot of folks have covered a lot of the bullet points. Only thing I want to add is if...

I'd take it for the salary a lone if the travel would not get me divorced/miss my kids. When job hunting it is difficult to demand 115K when you currently make 75K. The employer does not have to know your exact income. Anyway, it is easier 2 years down the line though to demand 130K if you're making 115K now.
        I'm single and no kids.

I see your point and that's how i'm looking at it too, like a stepping stone.

If I try to fast forward and see where i'd be at without taking this and taking it, I am in a lot better position taking it.

Originally posted by Racewerx View Post
        A 65% increase is excellent unless you make minimum wage. Travel wise 50% sucks ass! I have always looked at travel this way. When on the road you are on the the company's time 24 hrs a day. This is where you come to understand the meaning "career" which you can't look at it like an hourly paid position. I have know idea what industry you are in but in most cases this is what leads to opportunities later on.
        This is a tough choice for sure and if you move forward with it I would negotiate for more money. Good luck!
        It's a pretty substantial increase, though it's definitely due as I've taken a few lateral moves to continue learning.

Between going salary and traveling, i'm going to be fuuuucked. I guess it'll be hard to spend my money too fast though if I'm always working!

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
        Also, dig into their travel and expenses policies.

If per diem, you won't eat great but you can make money. (Buy groceries...etc) You won't have to worry about receipts either.

Per diem is of course based on location, I believe the last time I went on site it was 75 a day or so for food.

We do not have to expense receipts under $25.00 and if we don't use it, we lose it.

Typically I hit up walmart for snacks, drinks, and meals for the fridge to save, but claim 20 or so a meal.

If say 15 for breakfast, 25 for lunch, 45 for dinner - you'll eat great. Plus you have to keep EVERY DAMN RECEIPT.

Mileage policy or car allowance?

Rental while i'm out there and that's about it.

Do they let you chose the hotel? (points) Airline (other kickbacks...etc)?

Typically we've always stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn out there, but if it's full an Embassy. Need to check on this one.

We can fly however we can get there.

What is the limit on the hotel? Will you be stuck in shitty hotels? I stay in mid-range hotels and that sucks after even 2-3 days. I would hate staying in 49.95 hotels or whatever cheap hotels cost.

That's no lie, I would hate that too! The HGI i've previously stayed at was 140 or so a night and that wasn't an issue.

What is the reimbursement policy? Remember, if they only reimburse every 2 weeks or 4 weeks you WILL get hit with finance charges. That alone costs me more then I really want to give up per month. Sometimes I'll have 6-10K outstanding and it blows trying to get all that expensed.

I just remembered how much I had expense reports! The reimbursement is bi-weekly and if you want to get paid, you need to expense the items the week before.

Do they deny WHOLE expense reports if there is a problem or just line items?

Hmm, that's a good question, I think i'd start murdering kittens if they denied the whole report for one issue. Will have to check.

Cell phone allowance?

Company issued phone.

Home office allowance? (for internet...etc)

They USE to pay for home internet and phone for their remote workers. I guess about 2 years ago they realized how much money they could pocket if they stopped the program, fuckers!

When you have to travel you can make money, break even or get cost money. it is NEVER acceptable but to be able to make money. Why? Because you're going to lose receipts and stuff and need to be able to absorb that and finance charges.

Edit: Also remember, airport delays and all that crap that cause you to be gone a whole lot more. What is the policy on reimbursing for flight changes and such? In case you can't tell, I've been burned one way or another on all of these almost. It's not a big deal if you know what to expect and can do what is needed. If you assume anything though, you may get stuck with a receipt that you're not getting reimbursed for at all.

They will reimburse for any flight changes. Had that happen a while back when they advised me to get ready to fly in. I set everything up, they canceled, they again said to get ready, then they canceled. They ate all the costs on that one.

Hotel Internet...etc. Consider it all man.

I'm thinking about bringing my xBox when traveling, hopefully the internet is good. Other than xBox I might as well start working out again since the gym will be in the building.

Remember that you're going to spend 1-2 hours a week just filling out expenses too. I usually just make Sunday mornings my expense time. A good scanner and you're set. (assume emailing them in is acceptable.) Never mail the originals without scanned backups and push to just send in copies. Use credit for EVERYTHING. Never use cash unless it is something you can't expense anyway.
        Did I mention I hate expense reports? Just about a year ago they made it so we can scan and email in, in PDF form. It makes it so much easier than the previous fax method.

Originally posted by 92redragtop View Post
        Definitely consider the resume building aspect of this role. Also, is there a difference in bonus (annual or otherwise) between the old and new roles?
        I agree. If I come out in 2 years with a successful transition into this role, there will be many more opportunities with better pay. I know already that it makes a whole lot of a sense to take this position, but I will try to get a lil' more money.

I see no bonus in my current position or the proposed one.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK EVERYONE!

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          Traveling on someone elses dime would be appealing to me.
          It's badass.

The 'undocumented' benefits that can come w/ a job are priceless sometimes. Airline miles, hotel points, free travel to places you would normally never go, tons of cool experiences...

Comment

If you are still young and have no kids or wife, do it. Its a chance to see the country and make good money. No brainer IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
              I agree. If I come out in 2 years with a successful transition into this role, there will be many more opportunities with better pay. I know already that it makes a whole lot of a sense to take this position, but I will try to get a lil' more money.

I see no bonus in my current position or the proposed one.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK EVERYONE!
              Def worth asking for a little more if you can sell the benefits of "you".....asked about the bonus because sometimes it's a company-wide this or just management level specific, so if you're transitioning to that level you may now become eligible (sorry, I'm used to signing bonuses and annual bonuses so that's in my negotiation set). I take it these are technically oriiented roles then?

Comment

Originally posted by 92redragtop View Post
                Def worth asking for a little more if you can sell the benefits of "you".....asked about the bonus because sometimes it's a company-wide this or just management level specific, so if you're transitioning to that level you may now become eligible (sorry, I'm used to signing bonuses and annual bonuses so that's in my negotiation set). I take it these are technically oriiented roles then?
                Bonuses seem to come into play at 2nd line management and higher. Not for lil ol me!

Comment

My only problem would be dealing with the Airlines and TSA all the time. I love going new places, but jesus I hate dealing with airlines and TSA any more. I think that alone would be a deal breaker for me, but everything else about it with your situation sounds pretty good, and two years goes by pretty fast.
                  I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                    It's badass.

The 'undocumented' benefits that can come w/ a job are priceless sometimes. Airline miles, hotel points, free travel to places you would normally never go, tons of cool experiences...

Bingo. I've managed to have at least a few memorable moments on every work related excursion I've had to take. The airline miles rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                      It's badass.

Work travel is only good if you actually have time to go places and see them. When I traveled for work, it seemed that our actual hours worked was so high that there really wasnt time to enjoy the place. Sure there was a local dinner, but not enough time to explore.

Comment

Goodluck B. I am not trying to compare myself to your situation but you already know where our organization is with pay. That wouldn't however stop me from asking more. lol

I do think you need to take into account the airline, hotel miles and per diem a bit more. Yeah expense reports suck but you get free miles which will eventually account for a plane ticket = money, and the same with hotels. Not to mention if you are gone 50% of the time that is 50% you will spend less on food, groceries, laundry, gas etc. It adds up.

Last year I got just under platnum on AA, diamond on hilton and was still a gold at Drury. That equals to about 2 round trip tickets to anywhere in NA, and about 1 week at a 5 star hotel or 2 weeks at a smaller, less quality hotel. It is worth it in my opinion.
                        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                          Work travel is only good if you actually have time to go places and see them. When I traveled for work, it seemed that our actual hours worked was so high that there really wasnt time to enjoy the place. Sure there was a local dinner, but not enough time to explore.
                          Good point there.
                          I am my own team on the road. Book my own air, cars, hotels, etc, and make my own "freedom" to poke around where ever I am. If the work gets done everyone else is happy and when I get my expense checks I am happy. Easy breezy.

I guess I've never done the other side where someone else controls it all for you. I probably couldn't deal with that.

Comment

You should work for free. FTOP!!!!!
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

If they wanted me to Travel I'd demand a company credit card. No way in hell I'm going to be out several thousand dollars waiting to get reimbursed on an expense report. I don't see the logic in companys that make hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars a year expecting their employees to bank roll them and wait on expense reports to be reimbursed. Here's a thought. What happends if the company goes bankrupt and your left with 5k to to 10k in business expenses on your personal credit card. FUCK THAT. I spend over 140 days a year out of town and my company gives me a corporate lodging card for hotels and my per diem is paid on every pay check. If they won't give you a company credit card the very least I'd do is have them front me one months average expenses so I'd be one month a head and never left holding the bag if and when they go belly up.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
                                If they wanted me to Travel I'd demand a company credit card. No way in hell I'm going to be out several thousand dollars waiting to get reimbursed on an expense report. I don't see the logic in companys that make hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars a year expecting their employees to bank roll them and wait on expense reports to be reimbursed. Here's a thought. What happends if the company goes bankrupt and your left with 5k to to 10k in business expenses on your personal credit card. FUCK THAT. I spend over 140 days a year out of town and my company gives me a corporate lodging card for hotels and my per diem is paid on every pay check. If they won't give you a company credit card the very least I'd do is have them front me one months average expenses so I'd be one month a head and never left holding the bag if and when they go belly up.
                                Who said anything about not getting a company credit card?
                                Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                                Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Working...
                                X