Debt collector calling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt collector calling

What is the law about a debt collector calling and saying they will not stop calling until the debt is paid? They say Lyn owes kay jewlers $217 from 1995! I know that is BS, she never bought anything there.

She said I have to either pay or they will continue to call until it is paid. WTF, they say I can't ask to stop calling via phone. Any real advice on this shit?

cease and desist letter- send them one immediately

Address
    City, State Zip

Debt Collector’s Name
    Address
    City, State Zip

Re: Account Number

Dear Debt Collector:

Pursuant to my rights under federal debt collection laws, I am requesting that you cease and desist communication with me, as well as my family and friends, in relation to this and all other alleged debts you claim I owe.

You are hereby notified that if you do not comply with this request, I will immediately file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the [your state here] Attorney General’s office. Civil and criminal claims will be pursued.
    Sincerely,

Your Name

Comment

Is a debt collector calling? What can you do? What are your rights? The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) makes it illegal for debt collectors to use abusive, unfair, or deceptive practices when they collect debts. Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about your rights.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Has all your rights and what they can and cannot do listed.

Comment

95? I thought there was a cutoff date when they can still try to get the money?

Comment

Buy an air horn and let it talk to them for you.

Comment

Sweet, thanks 78X! Just found a similar bit of info doing a google search, but I shoulda just waited, this place rocks!

A_A_G, I know, WTF, 15 year old debt???
            Last edited by yellowstang; 11-18-2010, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
              What is the law about a debt collector calling and saying they will not stop calling until the debt is paid? They say Lyn owes kay jewlers $217 from 1995! I know that is BS, she never bought anything there.

She said I have to either pay or they will continue to call until it is paid. WTF, they say I can't ask to stop calling via phone. Any real advice on this shit?

Full C&D letter, and tell them to pound sand. Even if it was yours, there is a 4 year statute of limitations on consumer contracts so they can fuck off.

Also, record the call next time and try to get them to say that again.That's fuckin illegal as shit.

Texas is a one party state for recording calls, so as long a s one party knows the call is being recorded then it is okay. So make sure to let yourself know you are going to record your own call, k?

Also say this phrase

It is not convenient for you to call me on any number you have. Please send all correspondence to U.S. Mail. I will be sending you a C&D in writing by the end of the day.
              Last edited by sc281; 11-18-2010, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Cool, typed up the C&D letter, can I fax it to them, I found a fax number for their dumb asses, but they did give me a P.O. Box to send it in.

Comment

Cool, typed up the C&D letter, can I fax it to them, I found a fax number for their dumb asses, but they did give me a P.O. Box to send it in.
                  send it certified mail-return receipt requested (Green card at the post office) That way, it will hold up in court if you need to sue them.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                    send it certified mail-return receipt requested (Green card at the post office) That way, it will hold up in court if you need to sue them.
                    Good idea, I'll have Lyn do that tomorrow, and I will fax it also.

Hell, I should send them one every day for 2 weeks, or would that be considered reverse harrasment?

Comment

Good idea, I'll have Lyn do that tomorrow, and I will fax it also.

Hell, I should send them one every day for 2 weeks, or would that be considered reverse harrasment?
                      Just one is all you need.

Comment

Use it as an opportunity to brush up on your racial slurs.

Comment

Get the chick's number and post it here so we can call. I know Chuck is there this time.
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Blockbuster was doing this to a guy I knew once to the tune of 300.00 or something like that. He found a sleazy ass lawyer and sued the hell out of them. Said it was keeping him up at night, messing with his labido, etc etc. He ended up getting a cool grand and no telling what the lawyer got. Pm DanaY I am sure her lawyer would take it. LOL
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Hell i got a letter about two months ago for a Bally's membership from around 1992. This is when I lived in North Ft. Worth right off of Rosedale. And I don't even think I left there owing them any money but hell it has been so long that I honestly can't say. It is funny what these guys will do just trying to land a buck, they probably buy these accounts or tips or whatever they are for $.05 each.
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X