Chemo Bead Therapy?? Anyone done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemo Bead Therapy?? Anyone done it?

Well, as some of you know My Mom has been waiting for a liver transplant for a few years now, but her MELD scores and overall health has been really good. However, after an MRI a couple of weeks ago we found out she now has cancer on her liver. There are 5 lesions and the oncologist we saw today wants to do bead therapy which involves an overnight hospital stay. Is there anything I need to be aware of? Any major side-effects? Doctor Dave?? Now, the crappy part of this is she will need her transplant asap after we do this, because it will continue to come back and once it has so much or so many times she will be disqualified as far as the liver goes. My Mother In-Law works for Texas Oncology and said the bead therapy is great, but I want other opinions. I think she tries sugarcoating it, because she knows I have a toddler, infant, mom, etc to take care of while trying to hold the fort down. I want to know if she is going to be sick after wards and what not to see what I am in for. There's nothing like watching My Mom go from pretty much dead according to the MELD scoring system to doing great and now this crap.

I don't have any experience with that, but I pray she can find a donor.
    De Oppresso Liber.

Comment

Sucks what your family is dealing with...ESLD is a terrible way to go. Refresh my memory, why is her liver failing to begin with? Autoimmune hepatitis? As I am sure you are aware, she will be removed from the list if they find any metastatic disease...and they will do a very thorough search to rule that out because her survival after transplant in that case is very very slim...and they wouldnt want to give a liver to someone with a chance of survival that low. With that said, they will do whatever it takes to prevent the spread of the tumors out of the liver...but the odds are against her as once the liver tumors are discoverable, there is a high chance of them being elsewhere...or, these may not even be the primary tumor. Their search will give that answer if thats the case. As far as the beads...its basically the only method they can use since she has advanced liver disease. They shouldnt make her as sick as other chemo meds, but doxirubicin is a nasty drug. I hope she does well and gets a liver...

Comment

Originally posted by 95ragtop View Post
        I don't have any experience with that, but I pray she can find a donor.
        Thank you. I match her blood type and I tried giving part of mine to see if it could do that whole growing thing, but they do not do living donors.

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
        Sucks what your family is dealing with...ESLD is a terrible way to go. Refresh my memory, why is her liver failing to begin with? Autoimmune hepatitis? As I am sure you are aware, she will be removed from the list if they find any metastatic disease...and they will do a very thorough search to rule that out because her survival after transplant in that case is very very slim...and they wouldnt want to give a liver to someone with a chance of survival that low. With that said, they will do whatever it takes to prevent the spread of the tumors out of the liver...but the odds are against her as once the liver tumors are discoverable, there is a high chance of them being elsewhere...or, these may not even be the primary tumor. Their search will give that answer if thats the case. As far as the beads...its basically the only method they can use since she has advanced liver disease. They shouldnt make her as sick as other chemo meds, but doxirubicin is a nasty drug. I hope she does well and gets a liver...
        It's mainly me which takes a big toll. I've taken all the classes, gone to every appointment, chased an ambulance a few times, etc. I have an older brother in his 30's, but he shuts himself out, because it hurts. It sucks for me, but I do what I have to. She has Cirrhosis. They did the full MRI and as of right now they are only seeing the 5 spots which are pretty small. We were originally doing the MRI to look at her gallbladder which had some tiny polyps to make sure they didn't grow. Well, surprise....ugh. From what we were told after this first treatment once it's dead she is still eligible for the transplant, but after that not-so-much. He said it would grow back every time, because of her liver being in the condition it is. Any other routes I should look into? If we cure this once and she doesn't get the transplant in time do you have an idea of how much time she would have? It is hard for me to ask questions like this in front of her and I would like to know so I can prepare my future as best as possible.

Comment

Man, best of luck to your Mom, hope she gets better!

Comment

Working...
          X