Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting my first reloads today... Kinda nervous!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting my first reloads today... Kinda nervous!

Made up about 20 rnds of 45ACP... I assume its normal to be kinda nervous? I used the starting load values from my Modern Reloading book...

After I let one go, any tips on what to look for before proceeding? Assuming no FTF or FTE, any kind of signs on the brass I should be looking for?

I felt the same way my first time, except I was shooting 10mm

Its normal and as long as you didnt load any "hot" loads, you checked your OAL and headspacing, you should be good. Also, dont crimp the bullets tight, maybe just a little "kiss" from the crimper to ensure a snug fit, but the lip between the bullet and case is what determins how the bullet fits into the chamber.

After your first shot, check the brass for stress, primer to ensure it is not backing out or "Flattened" as this can be signs of pressure issues.

Just a few things off the top of my head, I am sure someone more experienced will chime in if you give them a few moments.

I reload 7mm, 10mm, 45ACP, .223 and 500 S&W, I always check my measurments and ensure they are within spec. I will only venture outside of that once I am comfortable with my process and my gun.
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

So, how did it go? I'm sure you're stoked now and ready to reload some more.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        So, how did it go? I'm sure you're stoked now and ready to reload some more.
        They were pretty underpowered compared to the off the shelf winchester I had there with me. Much less recoil.

How do you know when you have a good load? Are we trying to match shelf grade ammo? Do I need a chronograph to see what the load is doing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

You can chrony the loads to determine how they compare to factory loads, but you already determined they are weak. Do some load work ups.

I take 10% of the spread between min and max and use that as load interval.

Example: Min is 8.5gr, Max is 10.5gr. So you have a 2gr difference between min and max. 10% of 2gr is .2gr. Start at 8.5, load 5-10, then go up in .2gr increments and load 5-10 of each charge weight.

When you shoot them, always inspect the cases for the aformentioned pressure signs. Also see how they shoot on target, low, high, large spread etc. Record each charge weights results in a log book and pick the one that performed the best without any pressure signs.
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

The very first time can be very nerve racking. The real fun begins when you get into rifle rounds.
            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
              The very first time can be very nerve racking. The real fun begins when you get into rifle rounds.
              Way more rewarding in my opinion...
              Originally posted by Sean88gt
              You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
              Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
              You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I agree. Also much easier to surpass shelf ammo in accuracy, velocity and cost.
                "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Yeah, my first loads were for my .338 win mag. Had a real hard time finding many factory loads so I bought one box of Winchester Fail Safes and just keep reloading them. I have to admit, the Fail Safes are hot loads and mine were only slightly less. The first shot was a little scary but after that..let em rip.

Comment

Working...
                  X