My first AR-15 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first AR-15 build

So the only thing I'm lacking at this point is my BCG which has been on order since the beginning of January and I'll just keep waiting for it as I only paid $209 for a NiBX coated BCG. I got my barrel from Red X a week ago and went to the gun show today and got the rest of what I needed which consisted of a carbine gas tube, flash hider, low profile gas block, and a rifle length free float tube. Right now I just have it loosely mocked up as I don't have all the proper tools to finish it out, so I'm kinda hoping someone lives near Little Elm, has some spare time in the near future, has the tools, and likes guys that will bring over Shiner Bock... Just sayin...

Anyways, here's how it sits at the moment. I just need my BCG, and I also want a small scope/magnified red dot for it.

Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Nice! What free float tube did you get? Is it fairly light?
    92 LX 5.0

Comment

sweet.!
      Originally posted by BoostedGT
      I got one of them POS x275 88mm's sitting on the work bench. Come get it.
      Originally posted by bigminz
      Hell no. Have you seen most of these cars up close? Death traps at those speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post
        Nice! What free float tube did you get? Is it fairly light?
        It is pretty light... This is what I found based on the model number (sears.com also has it... HG-M1035-L)

Stevo

Comment

I'd be happy to let you borrow the tools or help you out. I'm in Mesquite though. All you need is a free float wrench
          03 cobra

Comment

Originally posted by brandon01rt View Post
            I'd be happy to let you borrow the tools or help you out. I'm in Mesquite though. All you need is a free float wrench
            A proper vice block would be nice too... Worst case I can always buy the tools, but there has to be someone here who likes beer or Crown and wants to help build a rifle?

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
              A proper vice block would be nice too... Worst case I can always buy the tools, but there has to be someone here who likes beer or Crown and wants to help build a rifle?
              I have a vice and upper receiver vice block as well.
              03 cobra

Comment

Hell, I built mine without a vice block. The only thing is you have to make sure to get that barrel nut good and tight...though I have found a few "easy" ways to do it.

Anyways,
                I have the wrench you need, everything else is easy to assemble and the gas block is just a allen wrench. I live in Irving, not too far so if you want to borrow, I would be more than willing to let you.
                Originally posted by Sean88gt
                You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I am looking at angle iron sights for mine. Which ones did you go with? Do you like them?

Comment

I went with these... I haven't shot it yet, but just the feel of it seems to actually work better for me as my cheek rests on the stock collapsible stock better at 45 degrees. It feels perfectly natural to me, but I'm also not used to shooting a rifle with irons so as a starting point I guess it would.

I'll get it done soon, but right now I'm still waiting on my BCG to ship so I'm in no rush.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006X9DLQM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

They are pretty much a straight up rip off of these...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Dueck-Defense-Front-Rapid-Transition/dp/B0064Q86XM/ref=pd_sbs_sg_4[/ame]

Stevo

Comment

I went with these... I haven't shot it yet, but just the feel of it seems to actually work better for me as my cheek rests on the stock collapsible stock better at 45 degrees. It feels perfectly natural to me, but I'm also not used to shooting a rifle with irons so as a starting point I guess it would.

I'll get it done soon, but right now I'm still waiting on my BCG to ship so I'm in no rush.

http://www.amazon.com/Dueck-Defense-...ef=pd_sbs_sg_4
                      BCG's come in stock at Midway pretty much every two -three weeks. Hell, got an email 4 days ago and received them yesterday...cant complain about that.
                      You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                      You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

hmmm, all show out of stock, no backorder, but I setup a notify email for when they come back in.

Stevo

Comment

hmmm, all show out of stock, no backorder, but I setup a notify email for when they come back in.
                          Bingo

Now it used to be that you almost had to be sitting there with your CC info in hand...but this past time, they were in stock for more than 24hrs...

But I would check between 11:30PM and 1:30AM around the weekends...this seems to be when they send out the notifications but then again, I am usually up pretty late

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                            Bingo

Now it used to be that you almost had to be sitting there with your CC info in hand...but this past time, they were in stock for more than 24hrs...

But I would check between 11:30PM and 1:30AM around the weekends...this seems to be when they send out the notifications but then again, I am usually up pretty late

I don't fall asleep before midnight usually... It's strange, I can be totally wiped out and at 11:57 I feel like I will NEVER get to sleep... but if I see 12:00 on the clock I'm out everytime.

I can stay up as late as I want still, but if I need to sleep, it ain't gonna happen before 12 unless I really plan for it. That's gonna suck when my 5 year old starts kindergarten this fall and I have to get up before 8am.

Stevo

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Dueck-Defense-...ef=pd_sbs_sg_4
                              Sweet, that will work. I run an optic and flip to side magnifier on my AR, so no room for iron sights. This gives me that option. And the $30 version will work just fine. $240 for iron sights?????? Now, I know DD makes a fine product but damn!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X