Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

powder charge relative to case capacity: a factor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powder charge relative to case capacity: a factor?

This will be a specific example, but I'm looking for some insight as to how it affects q broad range of cartridges. I was looking at my brass collection and noticed a significant lack of 357mag with a noted surplus in 38spl. Now i know loading 38spl there is TONS of real estate for powder, even on the snappiest of loads, same for 357mag. But from everything I can tell the brass is identical except length.

So my question is what is the effect of loading a 357mag powder charge in a 38spl? Obviously there is the safety issue of accidentally loading one of the magnum rounds in a 38spl gun. I only own 357mag revolvers so that risk is mitigated by the fact that only my guns shoot my reloads. Beyond that issue, does the function of case volume vs powder charge play any role in the performance of the round? Sorry if its an ignorant question, I just do not recall ever reading or seeing anything on the subject.

The short answer is yes.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Entire books have been written about internal ballistics. Case volume plays a HUGE role in the necessary powder charge.

You can over charge .38spl cases if you are using a .357 frame revolver but you will be working outside of published load data and taking your health into your hands. Your eyes don't grow back. Don't be a cheap fucker and buy some .357 cases to be safe.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

You can equalize case pressure by setting the bullet further out. However I believe even at the same case pressure a .38 SPL case may fail. I believe a .357 has a thicker webbing.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          I believe a .357 has a thicker webbing.
          I know that's true for 10mm vs .40 S&W
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I've seen it done with no I'll effects but I don't feel it's a safe practice.
            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

there are quite a few loads for larger bullets that are designed to be used on a 38spl case, especially 180gr. The reason for doing it is to shoot a 357 maximum bullet from a normal 357 mag chamber, although not anywhere near the same pressures.

If you try and load the longer bullets in a regular 357 mag case you have to seat them far too deeply. Case necks on straightwalls are tapered inside. Cutting the 357 case back doesn't address this well enough.

Comment

Working...
              X