Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting problem - pistol length gas block on midlength rail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
    Detent holes to press plunger plus a hex nut welded to the face of the knob followed by a cheap 1/4" extension and socket.

Now make it happen, take pictures and document it here. Get to work so you can pave the way for me. lol
    You and DOHCTR bring the beer and I will watch...sounds like a plan right?
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I mailed Hera about that linear compensator. They only make the Linear compensator for 5.56mm in 1/2"x28 pitch. .30 cal is 5/8"x24. So... might have yet another problem.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
        I mailed Hera about that linear compensator. They only make the Linear compensator for 5.56mm in 1/2"x28 pitch. .30 cal is 5/8"x24. So... might have yet another problem.
        Buy your own CNC and be done with it....
        You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
        You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
          Buy your own CNC and be done with it....
          I use to own one, and I've made a few as well. I have friends that could do the machining if need be. But, I do have a mill myself. Just kind of getting frustrated that everything I get into turns into a machining exercise. I can't ever just buy shit and build it.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Why's that a problem? Isn't 5/8"x24 standard for larger bores? Or are you saying they only make the compensator for 5.56, and it's 1/2"x28?
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
              Why's that a problem? Isn't 5/8"x24 standard for larger bores? Or are you saying they only make the compensator for 5.56, and it's 1/2"x28?
              Yep, as most all linear compensators are only for 5.56mm. I guess 7.62mm is not popular in SBR's.

Comment

Just kind of getting frustrated that everything I get into turns into a machining exercise. I can't ever just buy shit and build it.
                It seems you like to build guns to your liking which is great that you have the knowledge to do so. You should not be getting frustrated seeing as you are obviously treading in areas that not too many have.

Seems like maybe this gun will cost more than it is worth unless you plan on making the parts on your own. I am sure any machine shop will be able to build the tooling for you but it will cost you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                  It seems you like to build guns to your liking which is great that you have the knowledge to do so. You should not be getting frustrated seeing as you are obviously treading in areas that not too many have.

Seems like maybe this gun will cost more than it is worth unless you plan on making the parts on your own. I am sure any machine shop will be able to build the tooling for you but it will cost you.
                  Meh, I know what I want to do so whatever means get me there. Fuck money, I'm already pretty damn deep in this thing already. Patience is key. Hopefully I'll have it done by spring in time for pig season.

Comment

Good luck getting the paperwork back by spring!
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                      Good luck getting the paperwork back by spring!
                      I filed it almost 2 months ago, should be fine.

Comment

drill a hole across the pulg and then you can use a dog leged tool to get to the button and plug through the rail and use the tool to remove and install the plug

past that go back to an impingement system and use fail zero bolt and carrier that's what I'm doing with mine

Comment

Well, good news I suppose! I called Samson MFG because I honestly didn't understand wtf their evo rail did exactly. Their website is fairly confusing.

I spoke to Andrew up there and he was great. Apparently, all of their evo series rails have a gap for a piston setup. Then, you can extend the rail another 4" on front of that. Pretty damn cool!

Which means I could buy their pistol gas block rail, which is 4" of top rail, and 3" of side rail. Then add the 4" extension, and I have a complete rail with access to my piston block which measures 11" total. Meaning 2" of my suppressor will be inside the rail (and it's 1.65" ID so it will fit!), and 7" will be exposed. So that's awesome. The best part is their rails are pretty cheap ($165 for the rail I'm looking at). And their huge ID is awesome.

Comment

Well, good news I suppose! I called Samson MFG because I honestly didn't understand wtf their evo rail did exactly. Their website is fairly confusing.

I spoke to Andrew up there and he was great. Apparently, all of their evo series rails have a gap for a piston setup. Then, you can extend the rail another 4" on front of that. Pretty damn cool!

Which means I could buy their pistol gas block rail, which is 4" of top rail, and 3" of side rail. Then add the 4" extension, and I have a complete rail with access to my piston block which measures 11" total. Meaning 2" of my suppressor will be inside the rail (and it's 1.65" ID so it will fit!), and 7" will be exposed. So that's awesome. The best part is their rails are pretty cheap ($165 for the rail I'm looking at). And their huge ID is awesome.
                            /Thread

Comment

I don't really like the way most rails look and generally prefer a simple tube, but that's not all that bad.
                              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

evo looks like a good solution

otherwise your 2 choices that i see are:
                                -modify a rail to utilize the piston system
                                -use DI gas system w/ low profile adjustable gas block

Comment

Working...
                                X