Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting problem - pistol length gas block on midlength rail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting problem - pistol length gas block on midlength rail?

Well, I saw this problem coming way before it came but I figured I'd cross that bridge when it came. Well, now it's time and I'm still very surprised no one has a solution for this very basic issue.

I'm building a 9" .300 BLK SBR. This gun is going to be used with a suppressor exclusively. The first issue is all SBR .300 barrels have to use a pistol length gas system. The reason being is since they are relatively low pressure, you have to increase the dwell time of the projectile to generate the necessary gas to cycle the action.

Here's the problem: I'm running an unrailed low profile Adam's Arms piston setup for this gun. Since it's located at the pistol location (4" from the chamber) and I'm going to be running a mid length (or longer) rail, the gas block is located INSIDE of the rail. The problem is I can't reach the knob to adjust the gas block. Sounds like a pretty funny problem to have, but it's definitely real. From what I've found there is no rail that allows you to reach the knob without it looking ridiculous. My initial thought was to see if Adam's Arms makes a keyed or hex headed knob, so I could use a long allen wrench to adjust it from the front. So far I haven't found anything. I've considered machining an extension which would slip over the knob and then a mount to hold it in place at the muzzle. The other idea which seems a little more simple is to cut the rail by the knob so I can somehow reach in there, or use a custom tool to adjust it.

Anyone have an idea?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
    Well, I saw this problem coming way before it came but I figured I'd cross that bridge when it came. Well, now it's time and I'm still very surprised no one has a solution for this very basic issue.

I'm building a 9" .300 BLK SBR. This gun is going to be used with a suppressor exclusively. The first issue is all SBR .300 barrels have to use a pistol length gas system. The reason being is since they are relatively low pressure, you have to increase the dwell time of the projectile to generate the necessary gas to cycle the action.

Here's the problem: I'm running an unrailed low profile Adam's Arms piston setup for this gun. Since it's located at the pistol location (4" from the chamber) and I'm going to be running a mid length (or longer) rail, the gas block is located INSIDE of the rail. The problem is I can't reach the knob to adjust the gas block. Sounds like a pretty funny problem to have, but it's definitely real. From what I've found there is no rail that allows you to reach the knob without it looking ridiculous. My initial thought was to see if Adam's Arms makes a keyed or hex headed knob, so I could use a long allen wrench to adjust it from the front. So far I haven't found anything. I've considered machining an extension which would slip over the knob and then a mount to hold it in place at the muzzle. The other idea which seems a little more simple is to cut the rail by the knob so I can somehow reach in there, or use a custom tool to adjust it.

Anyone have an idea?
    You know, I have made tools before to reach bolts that I could not on my car...I am sure you can do the same for a gun.
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
      You know, I have made tools before to reach bolts that I could not on my car...I am sure you can do the same for a gun.
      well, the problem is without re-machining the knob the tool would be pretty damn hard to make.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Sounds like a 24 pack and a saturday or sunday afternoon would net a solution to this problem.
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
          Sounds like a 24 pack and a saturday or sunday afternoon would net a solution to this problem.
          Oh this shit is gonna happen. I'm seriously considering machining a rod which has a plug on one end which will fit over the knob. Then tig a brace at the muzzle end to hold the rod in place. Kind of like a socket extension for the knob. but honestly, I really don't want to have to machine an extension and tig weld shit for something which seems so simple. One problem is the knob has a detent which I would have to relocate to the front.. it would be a huge pain in the ass. I might just have to drill the knob and hammer in an allen wrench to shape it for an allen tool. Then I have to carry around a long ass allen wrench.

I cannot be the only person who has had a pistol length adjustable block with a mid length handguard.

Comment

Is it not as simple as cutting a slot in the knob and using a long screwdriver?
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
              Is it not as simple as cutting a slot in the knob and using a long screwdriver?
              Yeah that's a better idea than my over engineered hex idea.

Comment

Yeah that's a better idea than my over engineered hex idea.
                Your trying to make it too purty and functional. If a screwdriver and a small cut is all it takes...
                You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

hmm.. maybe I could drill and tap the knob and use a threaded rod to extend it? Hmm. I'd rather not carry around tools to use my rifle.

Comment

hmm.. maybe I could drill and tap the knob and use a threaded rod to extend it? Hmm.
                    but what happens when the threaded section becomes "stuck" and you cant get the rod out without removing the knob....and then you have to find a way to get the knob back into the housing...just a thought

Comment

You have a pic of said issue?

Comment

but what happens when the threaded section becomes "stuck" and you cant get the rod out without removing the knob....and then you have to find a way to get the knob back into the housing...just a thought
                        I don't know how the rod would get stuck? Another thing is cleaning the piston setup you have to remove the knob, so I'd have to pull it... so the threaded rod seems like the best solution.

Damnit, stupid ass problem.

Comment

You have a pic of said issue?

Here is the low profile gas block I will be using. You can see the rounded portion protrude from that custom rail. The problem is that the rail I'm using is 4" longer than that one, so it will continue past it.

middle one.

Comment

can you extend the detent radially so that it you could machine a slot in the rail and rotate it with the detent? I'm assuming that looking at it from the barrel there are 3 settings, at 3,9 and 12 oclock. You could mill a slot in the top of the rail and have the lever protrude the rail 3mm or so, it wouldn't get caught on shit, but you might be able to rotate it by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                              can you extend the detent radially so that it you could machine a slot in the rail and rotate it with the detent? I'm assuming that looking at it from the barrel there are 3 settings, at 3,9 and 12 oclock. You could mill a slot in the top of the rail and have the lever protrude the rail 3mm or so, it wouldn't get caught on shit, but you might be able to rotate it by hand.
                              That's another thing I've considered, but I'd have to cut a 90* slot across my rail and I couldn't remove it when I need to slide the piston out.

Comment

Working...
                              X