help with a suppressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with a suppressor

Ok now lets see, here is what Ive found out. i need to fill out a form 1 and get approval before starting my build .Im going to go the nfa trust route because I plan on having several regulated items , the questions are when I sub out work on it I.E. machine work and anodizing do I have to be on site while the work is being done ? at what point do I have to engrave the maker number on it ? and if I complete the build and am unhappy with my results do I just start over with the same numbers and just not engrave anything till Im satisfied with the final product. Im starting off small this is gonna be a can for a p22 and i may try it on my 10/22 . oh and btw who is the recommended NFA lawyer in DFW ?
    thanks yall
    The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

I am not an NFA lawyer so take this with a grain of salt, but I saw a suppressor company do this and it seemed clever: serialize the back cap of the suppressor, so if you have a baffle strike you can legally replace that, or you could replace the cover.

Like I said, I don't know all the legal details of how they do what they do, but they did serialize the back cap for some sort of purpose like this. You should look into it and do some research to find out the legality of it in your situation if you decide to try it.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

great idea i may put the serial number on both caps and the tube so whatever I destroy with a baffle strike {god forbid} can be replaced
      The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
        great idea i may put the serial number on both caps and the tube so whatever I destroy with a baffle strike {god forbid} can be replaced
        I think they had it the other way around. I think they were working under the impression that the serialized part could not be replaced easily (without paperwork) so they did not serialize everything like that, but I don't know for sure. I'm going to go find the deal I am talking about.

Either way good luck and don't skimp on researching before you start. The ATF doesn't screw around.

EDIT: Found it. The second quote is what I was talking about, it makes it sound like replacing the serialized part is the harder way to do it. Clearly this company does it two different ways though, so your way may work too.

ITS was recently contacted by SilencerCo to discuss the opportunity in taking a trip out to Salt Lake City, Utah to get hands-on with their suppressors.

All parts on the 22Sparrow are user replaceable and can be ordered through Silencerco. The outer tube is the serialized part you pay the tax stamp on, (more on laws later) which means that barring complete destruction of the suppressor the end-user is able to replace anything themselves without having to pay for another tax stamp.
        The last item we’d like to touch on with the OSPREY is another Silencerco innovation that has to do with the serialized part. On the OSPREY, the serialized part is the small billet backcap. The ensures that the area most prone to damage in a baffle strike can be replaced by Silencerco without having to replace the serialized part. Like the 22Sparrow, this prevents you from having to purchase another tax stamp. So far Silencerco tells us they haven’t had anyone that’s been able to damage the backcap and have only had a few warranties, which have been turned around in 24 hours.
        Last edited by slow06; 03-31-2011, 10:46 AM.
        "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
        -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
        X