Got a non resident Utah CHL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a non resident Utah CHL?

A new Utah bill requires you to get one in your state of residence.

"requires a nonresident applicant for a concealed firearm permit to hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit from the applicant's state of residency that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has reciprocity with the Utah concealed firearm permit law; and requires a nonresident applicant to pay an additional $5 processing fee for the issuance of the permit."

is that for the new people trying to get a utah chl? what if they already have one?

Comment

That's proposed...I'm sure something is coming though. Think of all the rev states have lost over non res permits.

Comment

If you havent heard, Utah's SB36 has been signed by their Gov. which removes the out of sate CHL option for Texans

SB36 was signed on the same day TX HB 356 was to goto review. SB36 would have not honored out of state chls if the holder was a TX resident.

Comment

I have a Utah Non-Resident CHL.

All Utah SB36 will do is block new out of state applicants and renewals on existing Non-Resident holders. Texas HB 356 will have to pass and be signed into law in order for this to become a real issue for current holders, like myself. And that bill was submitted by F-rated Lon Burnam. It's not going to pass.

Worse case scenario. I have a little over 4 years left on my Utah CHL and will just end up taking Texas CHL prior to renewal date. Not really a big deal, but I still disagree with Utah SB36 on general principle. I think the revenue loss argument (for both states in question) is total and complete bullshit. The problem is the manner in which some Utah Non-Resident CHL Instructors zealously advertise their classes, of course, with the lack of range time standing out. And many people buying into the many misnomers about the Utah Non-Resident CHL. No, there is no range time. However, some people falsely believe on some of the Texas CHL forums and other gun forums that you can get a Utah CHL with child support problems and other issues surrounding conviction of certain types of crimes. That as well as other "loop holes", such as having a criminal record here, but be able to get a Non-Resident CHL. Wrong!

All bad information that's being propagated on down the line for which has caught the attention of certain gun grabbing politicians who want to exploit it your ignorance of the situation.

I'm sorry to burst people's bubble, but there are no people "falling through the cracks" on a Non-Resident CHL that is currently within the purview of our reciprocity laws. Facts: You still have to pass a FBI background test. You have to get fingerprinted. You You have to be signed off by a BCS instructor. You will not get approved if you have are a felon, have certain categories of Misdemeanors, DWIs over a certain period of time, or any convictions whatsoever of domestic violence, don't pay your child support, Etc....And there are really good Utah classes/instructors out there that don't blow through the syllabus. Those of us who have been to a good Utah class with a good instructor know this is definitely not the case. People with Non-Resident CHLs are law abiding citizens. Just chose a cheaper and shorter option for class time because some people have busy lives and busy schedules. Oh noes......The sky is falling. We spent 4 hours instead of 10. We're a menace to society. And didn't learn anything during that time but goof off and skirted the legal system. Absolutely ridiculous.
          Last edited by LS1Goat; 03-29-2011, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X