• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Float Handguards

What exactly do these things do?

Originally posted by David View Post
    What exactly do these things do?
    The perceived advantage is since they make no physical contact with the barrel, they do not interfere with the harmonics of firing, allowing higher accuracy. The argument being handguards that do contact the barrel cause differences in the way the barrel vibrates during a discharge, which effects accuracy.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      The perceived advantage is since they make no physical contact with the barrel, they do not interfere with the harmonics of firing, allowing higher accuracy.
      So it's just a super accuracy thing. Fair enough.

Comment

So it's just a super accuracy thing. Fair enough.
        And it gives people a reason to put another 350$ thing on a 700$ rifle.

Comment

The AR I have is free float and to be honest I'm probably not going to do free float again. As mentioned the handguard are more pricey (350 is a bit extreme though) and I don't see myself ever trying to get a 223/5.56 round going 700 yards. Ya know, maybe on a rifle that you're shoot that far - yeah.

This just came with the upper I bought at a good price. I like it, but for a basic AR and such - na. Not needed. This is my opinion and I'm no expert.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Unless you're like me and just buy a Model 1 free float tube for $35 and I like it a lot. I may throw it on the lathe and lighten it up and vent it though.
            IMG_0424

Comment

I think its snakeoil on any 16" carbine. Waste of money, it can prevent it from overheating as easily, but no one here has an automatic that will dump 120rds in 20 seconds.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I think its snakeoil on any 16" carbine. Waste of money, it can prevent it from overheating as easily, but no one here has an automatic that will dump 120rds in 20 seconds.
                Slide fire stock?
                IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
                  Slide fire stock?
                  Yeah that's like 1/4 the cyclic rate of an auto, I don't think it would affect you that much still.

Comment

I like my MOE gear. That's fancy enough.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Speak for yourself!

I was just curious about them, seem like everyone wants one on their gun. I finally saw one on someones upper and was confused as fuck.

Comment

Speak for yourself!
                        Well its a tradeoff. You can argue a multi contact handguard can act like a heatsink cooling the barrel quicker, but in turn heating the foregrip up. In either event the radiant heat is too much to handle without gloves.

Comment

Rails add a better place to put a bipod than the gas block. You wouldn't want to be shooting your crazy match AR all day, like at prairie dog shoots, and have your barrel warp on you. They're applicable where a free-floating stock would be on a bolt gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                            Rails add a better place to put a bipod than the gas block. You wouldn't want to be shooting your crazy match AR all day, like at prairie dog shoots, and have your barrel warp on you. They're applicable where a free-floating stock would be on a bolt gun.
                            I would volunteer the odds of that happening are just about impossible. Any varmint barrel is going to be heavy. Maybe if you were machinegunning a pencil barrel.

Comment

I would volunteer the odds of that happening are just about impossible. Any varmint barrel is going to be heavy. Maybe if you were machinegunning a pencil barrel.
                              Valid.

Comment

Working...
                              X