New to the hobby\sport...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the hobby\sport...

I'm kind of new to the hobby and wanted to get some of the normal "newb" info available from you guys.

I have very limited experience with firearms.
    I have recently purchased a very used revolver and am thinking about getting into a rifle (AR15 or similar)

I haven't been to a range in about 15 years and haven't handled\fired a rifle since Navy boot. Any suggestions\tips\costs?

Thanks!

This is kind of like someone saying "what is the best car". There is no real answer, and you need to shoot a bunch of different stuff and maybe do some research to find out what you think will be best for you.

Will you be hunting? Competing eventually? Or will the gun be only a range queen?
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
      This is kind of like someone saying "what is the best car". There is no real answer, and you need to shoot a bunch of different stuff and maybe do some research to find out what you think will be best for you.

Will you be hunting? Competing eventually? Or will the gun be only a range queen?
      Mostly range queen. Maybe some light hunting. Might have to pull some anti-critter duty...

Comment

You're too late for an AR lower, but grab an upper on the next group buy, and piece one together yourself. Getting one together for around $500-$600 shouldn't be hard, and really gets cheap when you build the upper, as opposed to a rifle kit with a complete upper (short of some crazy sales sometimes). Basically, take your time and be patient, and build something you like shooting. If you just have to have something to plink with for now, get a Ruger 10/22.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
          You're too late for an AR lower, but grab an upper on the next group buy, and piece one together yourself. Getting one together for around $500-$600 shouldn't be hard, and really gets cheap when you build the upper, as opposed to a rifle kit with a complete upper (short of some crazy sales sometimes). Basically, take your time and be patient, and build something you like shooting. If you just have to have something to plink with for now, get a Ruger 10/22.
          I'm willing to wait and build what I want\need as long as the pricing stays sane.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Kaufmann View Post
            I'm willing to wait and build what I want\need as long as the pricing stays sane.
            Just hunt a cheap gunshow lower, or see if one our fellow neckbeards will sell you a spare one of theirs.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I might possibly be one of said neckbeards.
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                LOL

I'll PM you in a bit...

Comment

lol.

Comment

Sell me one. I'm stupid and forgot when the group purchase ended.

Comment

Oh, I second the "buy a .22" notion. I love all of mine.

Comment

First gun I bought when I turned 18 was was a Ruger 10/22. I love it and have thousands of rounds through and it is still shooting great.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Kaufmann View Post
                          I haven't been to a range in about 15 years and haven't handled\fired a rifle since Navy boot. Any suggestions\tips\costs?

Thanks!
                          I was in Army boot back then (95) and we had the m16A2s, what did they have squids shooting?

In general I don't believe the Navy trains as hard on their weapons - especially after boot - as the Army/Marines tend to do. However, you'll be surprised how familiar you still are with the platform if you buy an AR.

My personal opinion is to go with AR look 22lr (i.e. the M&P version) and then go to an actual 5.56 AR. I recommend the AR over other weapons...

1. You'll be at least a little familiar with it off the bat.
                          2. Great platform
                          3. It's like an adult version of a Mr. Potatohead. You can mix parts, uppers, lowers, sights and so on. So, if you have multiple ARs you can swap things as needed or dedicate parts. Whatever floats your boat/budget
                          4. Generally speaking it is a widely popular platform and accessories can be as cheap or expensive as you want. It would seem to me you could have a completely tacticool AR for 700 dollars if you want. Will it be extremely durable, no. Will it suffice for 90% of home users? Yes. Plus the parts will be cheap to replace if they do happen to break.
                          5. A lot of opinions and perspectives on the AR, so plenty of information.
                          6. Big used parts/barrels...etc...etc market for buying and sellng
                          7. Ammo can be had for around 20 cents around. Not quite 22LR, but not bad either. That's steel cased, guys who reload can do better for brass - but I'm still figuring all that crap out and there are other threads for that too.

Same can be true for other weapons, but those are mine specifically for the AR.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                            I was in Army boot back then (95) and we had the m16A2s, what did they have squids shooting?

In general I don't believe the Navy trains as hard on their weapons - especially after boot - as the Army/Marines tend to do. However, you'll be surprised how familiar you still are with the platform if you buy an AR.

My personal opinion is to go with AR look 22lr (i.e. the M&P version) and then go to an actual 5.56 AR. I recommend the AR over other weapons...

1. You'll be at least a little familiar with it off the bat.
                            2. Great platform
                            3. It's like an adult version of a Mr. Potatohead. You can mix parts, uppers, lowers, sights and so on. So, if you have multiple ARs you can swap things as needed or dedicate parts. Whatever floats your boat/budget
                            4. Generally speaking it is a widely popular platform and accessories can be as cheap or expensive as you want. It would seem to me you could have a completely tacticool AR for 700 dollars if you want. Will it be extremely durable, no. Will it suffice for 90% of home users? Yes. Plus the parts will be cheap to replace if they do happen to break.
                            5. A lot of opinions and perspectives on the AR, so plenty of information.
                            6. Big used parts/barrels...etc...etc market for buying and sellng
                            7. Ammo can be had for around 20 cents around. Not quite 22LR, but not bad either. That's steel cased, guys who reload can do better for brass - but I'm still figuring all that crap out and there are other threads for that too.

Same can be true for other weapons, but those are mine specifically for the AR.
                            Yea, I figure the extra days the Army is at the range, we were jumping off platforms and treading water. LOL

We were required to qualify on 9mm pistols and had the option to come back and qualify on M-16A2s (which myself and about half of my company did..... How do you join the military and NOT want to shoot things?)

Like I said, I've hardly touched a rifle after that in the service.

Although my Master Chief punted my ass to the ship-borne Tango Alpha Team where I got stuck with 3 Marines and a Navy MA. Being the only snot-nosed airdale, I got to be the runner\loader for the 50 cal.... what fun that was running to and from the ammo locker....

Anyway, I appreciate the help and will probably look at starting "something" after I get back from vacation... (the cruise ship awaits)

Comment

Working...
                            X