ar15 ammo suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ar15 ammo suggestions

I know this is going to be fairly biased depending on who you talk to. Everyone seems to like one sort of ammo over another for whatever the reason but there is always the crap that everyone agrees is just that. With that being said I need some suggestions for some decent .223 ammo that I can start to accumulate. Just getting into AR's so I do not know about all the types of ammo what what is "nastier" than another as far as damage caused goes. I am looking for 2 types..

1) just some good ole shooting stuff for the range

2) something nasty for home defense.

I really dont consider my a/r as a in in home defense weapon. Shotgun/handgun in home.

I prefer ballistic tips with game animals because of the fragmentation. I dont know what it would do as far a humans are concerned.

For the range anything from wolf to whatever you can afford.

Hell my rifle loves wolf hp. Groups a inch less than most factory 55gr fmj's. This is my rifle. You will have to try a few.

Comment

Keep the rifle clean and lubed and it shouldn't matter.

1. Steel cased or cheapest brass cased you can find

2. Soft point or hollow point that you can reliably shoot but I'll grab my .45 before the rifle.

Comment

I have other weapons I would grab first as well but you never know. When at the house I would like to have a magazine full of some sort of fragmentation rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
          I have other weapons I would grab first as well but you never know. When at the house I would like to have a magazine full of some sort of fragmentation rounds.
          If you want them to frag then ballistic or polymer tip. I have a mag of those loaded just in case like what you're wanting to do. I think mine are Fiochhi 55 grain. Something like $22/box of 50.

They might not damage like a HP or SP but I feel better that they are less likely to go through walls.

Comment

You should see what a 40gr V-Max does to a cheap, expired canned ham. I rrrreally wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that. Hell, frangible rounds would be good for home defense too. They will tear a basketball sized hunk out flesh out of something but won't penetrate anything much harder than that (like sheetrock).

For GP range ammo, whatever is cheap...just clean thoroughly afterward. I have a mix of American Eagle 55gr FMJ, PMC Bronze 55gr FMJ and some Hornady 55gr soft point (stupid Alpine). They all group within .1 to .2" of each other and none seem to be significantly dirtier than the others.
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

load your own.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                load your own.
                I knew that was going to come up sooner or later. Fact is I am already spread too thin with everything else I am into and I just do not have the desire or time to get into that right now.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                  I knew that was going to come up sooner or later. Fact is I am already spread too thin with everything else I am into and I just do not have the desire or time to get into that right now.
                  Niether do I, but I figure I can reduce 4-5 hours a night that I sleep into 3.5-4.5 and reload for 30 minutes.

Until I get that figured out, I'm just watching for deals on steel cased ammo. Seems if it can be timed right and the right deal it can be 19-24 cents per round (after shipping and/or taxes)
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I buy reloads. $150 for 500 rounds. I'm too lazy to reload them again...have a bag full of .223 brass.

Shotgun rounds I'm interested because I want to see what I can reload them with (bb's, dimes, ball bearings, sand...salt...)

Comment

Working...
                    X