Jogger finds Tank Round on river bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jogger finds Tank Round on river bank

Somewhat local to me...Interesting story none the less. I'm curious how it got there and any experts on these, do they normally come with a hose clamp on them? lol

A jogger on an afternoon run found a "suspicious object" on the river bank that caused a stir with Harrisburg and state police Sunday.

Jogger finds armor-piercing tank round on Susquehanna River bank: police

A jogger on an afternoon run found a "suspicious object" on the banks of the Susquehanna River, causing a stir with Harrisburg and state police Sunday.

The object was found at around 1:25 p.m. Oct. 22 on the Front Street River Walk at Peffer Street. Harrisburg police described the object as a tank sabot projectile, which is used to pierce armored targets.

Harrisburg police secured the area and called in the state police bomb squad, which confirmed the suspicious object was an armor-piercing tank round. State police secured the round and then a Harrisburg police bomb K-9 unit was brought in to make sure there were no other explosives in the area. Police said no other objects were found.

Police declined to provide further information about the projectile. Anyone with information about the projectile is asked to contact Harrisburg police through Dauphin County dispatches at 717-558-6900 or submit a tip via the Crimewatch website.

Looks like some idiot tanker clamped on the discarding sabot.

Comment

Are those explosive? I always thought they were made of either depleted uranium or tungsten and we designed to just blow apart and send shrapnel everywhere once they penetrated. If that is tungsten, it is worth some money.
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
        . If that is tungsten, it is worth some money.
        And heavier than fuck all.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          Are those explosive? I always thought they were made of either depleted uranium or tungsten and we designed to just blow apart and send shrapnel everywhere once they penetrated. If that is tungsten, it is worth some money.
          They are not explosive. Long rod penetrators rely on kinetic energy and sectional density to do their job. DU sharpens itself as in passes through armor and produces clouds of extremely high speed spal on the interior of its target. DU also burns like magnesium does if it is hit hard enough.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Treadhead did it
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I Just Found It!

Reminds me of several years back when we were metal detected all over the place.
              We were between Dallas and Ft. Worth I think, South of I-20 in a field being
              scrapped off to build a housing project.

We were detecting and digging up practice bombs deposited there as a WW2
              bombing range. The biggest joke was, how long before some new home owner
              accidentally dug up a bomb and SWAT was called!!

Well it did not take long and boy did the law suits start...

BTW

As a group we dug 100's of them and they were given away....

Comment

There's numerous WWII-era practice bombing ranges in Texas. If you're in west Texas and happen upon a random caliche mound on ranchland, chances are it's a former range. Those were placed on the main target and some still sport the remnants of the practice bombs dropped on them in the 40's.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                  There's numerous WWII-era practice bombing ranges in Texas. If you're in west Texas and happen upon a random caliche mound on ranchland, chances are it's a former range. Those were placed on the main target and some still sport the remnants of the practice bombs dropped on them in the 40's.
                  TX is rich in WWII history that is buried. Texoma...stuff you mentioned, love field, that airfield next to 289 up north (always forget the name of it)...etc...etc.

Other states too, but I live here and am finding little nuggets every so often.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                  X