Gunsmith school.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunsmith school.

Has anyone ever looked into or attended a gunsmith school? I'm really starting to feel like it's something I can really wrap my head around and enjoy on a daily basis. I've been looking into a program at Murray State College in Tishomingo, OK. It is an NRA accredited program and only about 2 hours from Denton. Any of you guys have an insight?

I was looking into a career change myself. Here is what I found.
    Penn Gunsmith School was the program that looked best to me. One of the CO schools (can't remember which) had a similar program, but a shorter duration.

Colorado School of Trades
    1575 Hoyt Street
    Lakewood, CO 80215
    Phone: 800-234-4594

Lassen Community College
    P.O. Box 3000
    Susanville, CA 96130
    Phone: 530-257-4211

Modern Gun School
    80 North Main Street, P.O. Box 846
    St. Albans, VT 05478
    Phone: 800-493-4114

Montgomery Community College
    1011 Page Street
    P.O. Box 787
    Troy, NC 27371
    Phone: 800-839-6222

Murray State College
    One Murray Campus
    Tishomingo, OK 73460
    Phone: 580-371-2371

Penn Foster Career School
    ICS-Intext
    925 Oak Street
    Scranton, PA 18515

Pennsylvania Gunsmith School
    812 Ohio River Blvd.
    Avalon
    Pittsburgh, PA 15202
    Phone: 412-766-1812

Piedmont Community College
    1715 College Drive
    P.O. Box 1197
    Roxboro, NC 27573
    Phone: 336-599-1181

Pine Technical Institute
    900 4th Street
    Pine City, MN 55063
    Phone: 800-521-7463

Sonoran Desert Institute
    10245 East Via Linda, Suite 102
    Scottsdale, AZ 85258
    Phone: 480-314-2102

Trinidad State Jr. College
    600 Prospect
    Trinidad, CO 81082
    Phone: 800-621-8752

Yavapai College
    1100 East Sheldon Street
    Prescott, AZ 86301
    Phone: 520-776-2150

Comment

I looked into it one time out of curiosity and it takes a 2 year program.

What really flustered me was the fact that most of them seemed to cater to the hardcore fudd community, which may have been great 20 years ago, but now people like ARs, suppressors, AKs, etc. Sure, taking the rear sight block off of an old mauser has its place, but I feel like that is becoming less relevant by the day.

Also, most of the schools I looked at had "no class III weapons allowed on campus". What gives?

This all being said, I believe that you can make alot of money as a gunsmith these days. All the smiths I know are backed up and take MONTHS to get even the simplest of things completed. Just ask Elvis, he wanted a polished feed ramp or something for a 1911 and it took damn near 6 months if I recall correctly.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

I started to look into this for my dad/kinda myself, but could not find anything close to here.
        WRX

Comment

I was almost a Armorer vs a LAV Mechanic in the Marines. It was either one of those or artillery; no fucking thanks. I was slotted as a LAV Mechanic and got to watch all the armorers (same school location) talk about what cool shit they were learning on. One that stands out was when they were learnind the MP5.

Bushmaster has a good AR class and there is always Blackwater. The later would look a lot better on a resume when looking for a job working on guns outside of the FUD world. Think PD, .gov agencies, overseas contractors, ets.

I have been lucky when it comes to Gunsmiths. I use the dude next door to Winchester's range. Every job I have needed I was able to literally wait on. I have had a lot of little stuff done though, nothing major. He has mounted a troublesome 10/22 barrel for me, mounted a flash hidder when I couldn't find a wrench to fit, pushed in new sights on my XD9, bore sighted my new AR and scope.
          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Yea..I figure the one in OK is only 2 hours away from me. I could probably stand driving out there a few days a week for a couple of years. Being a gunsmith is my dream job.

Comment

Couple days a week? If its like the ones I looked into, you're in class 5 days/week. Anything less and I'd question the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Marss View Post
                Couple days a week? If its like the ones I looked into, you're in class 5 days/week. Anything less and I'd question the program.
                Looks like I might be moving to OK then. Shit.

Comment

Better than KS. Haha

Comment

Working...
                  X