Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Foods to ban guns in their stores

A group of moms got guns banned from a Virginia Whole Foods

One of the national chains that has chosen to post a sign banning guns in its Texas stores has been Austin, Texas–based Whole Foods.
    On Jan. 1, Texas became an open-carry state, and businesses discovered that the possibility of remaining neutral in the fight over gun rights had just disappeared.

Under the new law, all of the 925,726 Texas residents with a valid concealed-weapon permit (about 4 percent of them) can now openly carry guns, so long as the weapons are secured in shoulder or belt holsters. Businesses across Texas now must grapple with the costs of allowing open carry in their stores.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, many of them had to take, and then publicly state, a clear position. Hospitals, correctional facilities, and some places that sell alcohol can still legally ban guns; private property owners—including stores, restaurants, and churches—also maintain this right. These establishments must give gun owners verbal notice that guns are not permitted or display signs stating rules for concealed and open carry. This is a fight nobody wanted.

As the Dallas Morning News’ Jacquielynn Floyd asked, “Did open carry backfire on Texas gun owners?” “We have lost more than we gained,” lamented a poster to the online site TexasCHLforum.com, which discusses concealed gun-permit laws in the state. “This has woken up the ‘anti’ crowd in a big way. Yet another put it even more bluntly last week on a different Texas gun rights forum: “The lid is off this can of worms and it will never go back … I hope the right to walk around looking like Wyatt Earp is worth it to the open carry folks because a lot of us are losing our right to concealed carry and it may cost some of us our lives for your privilege to play cowboy.”

One of the national chains that has chosen to post a sign banning guns in its Texas stores has been Austin, Texas–based Whole Foods.

This makes sense, as a weapon is not required to purchase your overpriced beet greens and prison cheese, and because it takes a certain leap of branding logic to associate healthy lifestyles and smart family choices with parading around weapons that are associated with (depending upon whose statistics you read) 20 injuries to children and teenagers per day across the U.S.

But what about the Whole Foods in my hometown of Charlottesville, Virginia? Virginia is an open-carry state. Possibly one of the open-carry-est. Also one of the gun-deathiest. As a result, there has been some confusion.

Last November, a friend, Latifa Kropf, encountered a man with a holstered gun in line in front of her at our local Whole Foods; Kropf alerted a manager, who told her that there is no store gun policy.

Kropf wrote to a customer service representative at Whole Foods’ headquarters in Austin and was reassured that “we absolutely DO have a policy forbidding firearms in our stores—both open and concealed carry” and that management was obviously not well-versed in company policy.

The Austin branch promised to rectify the misunderstanding.

Last week, several shoppers came across another customer open-carrying at the same Whole Foods while he picked out asparagus. One shopper, Susan McCulley, spoke to the manager, who explained that Virginia is an open-carry state and that, as such, customers could bring firearms into the store.

Another friend, Katherine McNamara, called the local manager, who confirmed that the Charlottesville store’s policy is as follows: “We prefer that people do not carry openly, and we ask them to leave their weapons in their car.” Since Virginia is a “right to carry” state, the manager said, the store cannot exclude people carrying weapons.”

Oh no, I can't carry in a store that sells overpriced food that spoils quickly. Well my weekend is ruined

Comment

This is old news. They already have 30.06 signs up, so who cares they ban OC as well. They lost my business a long time ago. I have a "Whole Foods" type grocery store up here that we shop at that doesn't post, and Kroger's "Simple Truth" brand is USDA Organic.

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Only 4 percent of TX residents have a CHL. Figured it would be a little higher.

Choices, that store made them and I can make my own too.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by phaux View Post
          Oh no, I can't carry in a store that sells overpriced food that spoils quickly. Well my weekend is ruined
          You know that fresh food isn't supposed to last for weeks, right?

Comment

http://bit.ly/WxPKxu (BUY NOW)Its getting REAL in the Whole Foods Parking Lot! Dj Dave puts life on the Westside of Los Angeles into hyper-focus in this vid...

god bless.
            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Sounds like they are making themselves targets for the bad guys.
              Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Where else but America, that one has a right to display a big sign
                saying "come on in and F... us "WE WILL NOT RESIST".

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                  Sounds like they are making themselves targets for the bad guys.
                  their capri pants wearing, prius driving, toms shoes wearing client base have all been marks for years im sure.

god bless.
                  It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                    You know that fresh food isn't supposed to last for weeks, right?
                    Pssh, tell that to the tons of MRE's I've eaten. All those preservatives keep you young looking!

Comment

I dont think ive been into one of their stores more than once.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I've never been to one. They aren't losing any of my business.

Comment

just another reason to stay away

New York City is expanding an investigation after finding Whole Foods locations in the area "routinely overstated" the weight of pre-packaged contents and overcharged cus

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            I dont think ive been into one of their stores more than once.
                            We have been once. Highly overpriced crap.

They did have a bar inside with some good stuff on tap.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                              We have been once. Highly overpriced crap.

They did have a bar inside with some good stuff on tap.
                              They opened one up in arlington a few blocks from my old apartment. I recall walking in to check it out, and not buying anything, nor feeling the need to.
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X