Shooting range backstop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting range backstop

I am researching the best method to build a solid backstop at my land. My initial thought would be to build a 10' x 5' x 5' box out of 2x10 with 4x4 posts, then bury rail road ties in the ground going verticle in the center all the way across. Then once all that is done fill the box with dirt and pack it tight. So basically once you shoot it the bullet will have to go through 2" board, ~2' of dirt, then a rail road tie, 2' more of dirt then another 2" board to fully penetrate the box. Any of you guys think 223, 9mm, .40, maybe a 308 or 270 will penetrate this box? Behind us is an empty field, but I still don't want anything to go through this. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
    the bullet will have to go through 2" board, ~2' of dirt, then a rail road tie, 2' more of dirt then another 2" board to fully penetrate the box.

Any of you guys think 223, 9mm, .40, maybe a 308 or 270 will penetrate this box?
    Hell no, lol. Check this out: http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-...sands-o-truth/

Summary
    Lessons learned:

It’s still fun to shoot stuff.
    Sand is a very good barrier. Nothing we shot penetrated more than 6 inches into the sand. Does that mean I would hide behind 6 inches of sand and let someone shoot at me? No way!! I’d rather have 60 feet of sand in front of me. But 6 inches seems to work pretty well for the rounds tested.
    To our surprise, the pistol rounds penetrated deeper than the rifle rounds. Why? The pistol rounds held together better as they were ball and didn’t have enough velocity to break them apart. Therefore, they held together and penetrated better. The rifle rounds were traveling at such a high velocity that they broke up into pieces and this stopped their penetration quicker.
    The 12 gauge slug finally met it’s match with sand. The soft lead slug was flattened out and stopped quickly.
    The .45-70 hard-cast bullet penetrated a little better than the soft lead slug, but not a lot. And the sand tore it up pretty quickly.
    And lastly, sand is a good barricade material.

Comment

Sounds good. To me, though, I'd rather not have a forward barrier, just the dirt. After time, you'd have a big ol' hole you'd have to repair/replace.

FWIW:

News, resources and programs tailored to shooting ranges and gun clubs from NSSF, the trade association for the firearms industry.

News, resources and programs tailored to shooting ranges and gun clubs from NSSF, the trade association for the firearms industry.
      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

So you're saying all those average intelligence soldiers out there building pillboxes and stacking sandbags around their trenches know something most people don't.......

Yep no need to overthink some things.

Comment

You need to build a 4 foot thick, 30ft high wall of reinforced concrete, then about 10 feet of dirt behind it to stop 9mm

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
            So you're saying all those average intelligence soldiers out there building pillboxes and stacking sandbags around their trenches know something most people don't.......

Yep no need to overthink some things.
            Lol, yep. Sandbags, plenty of them, are where it's at. So, get out your e-tool and get to fillin!
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Gaylord boxes full of dirt will stop just about anything you'd be able to buy. That'd be 4 foot of dirt.

Comment

Water stops bullets well.. Just put a few aquariums up!

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post

Lmao yeah I've heard!!!

Kool, looks like it won't cost much to build this. Once the front panels get beat up a couple new boards will be easy to swap out. I don't plan to shoot 1000 rounds every day. Probably once a month or two I'll have a few buddies over and we will shoot off some rounds. I'd rather over build it and not worry. I plan to just scrape a few inches of dirt off the ground and fill it rather then buy a load of sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                    I hear these guys are good...

Comment

Originally posted by jakesford View Post
                      I hear these guys are good...
                      I like this guy better:

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
                        Lmao yeah I've heard!!!

Kool, looks like it won't cost much to build this. Once the front panels get beat up a couple new boards will be easy to swap out. I don't plan to shoot 1000 rounds every day. Probably once a month or two I'll have a few buddies over and we will shoot off some rounds. I'd rather over build it and not worry. I plan to just scrape a few inches of dirt off the ground and fill it rather then buy a load of sand.
                        Be mindful of rocks when you do that. A shallow rock and a ricochet can make for an interesting day.
                        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                          Be mindful of rocks when you do that. A shallow rock and a ricochet can make for an interesting day.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I can tell you an M2HB with the t&e set will shoot right though a berm.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Railroad ties to hold your dirt together, some steel plate inside the ties, fill front with dirt. Don't shot over berm..
                              Voila...
                              Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

I've seen a ton of railroad ties over off highway 5 in the Anna area for sale I think
                              Last edited by dcs13; 01-20-2016, 05:17 PM. Reason: added

Comment

Working...
                              X