Shooting a collectors piece.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting a collectors piece.

I've come to an odd point in my life where I fear shooting some of the guns I have now out of fear of damaging them and lowering their value. Primarily I have a 1943 Ithaca Navy M1911A1 from the pacific theater. Overall it is in pretty good condition for it's age, still has the original parkerizing, barrel, grips, etc. I would put a few mags through it each time I head out. However, at the market hall gun show I ran across the exact same year, make, and run of my pistol with a $3,500 price tag on it. Now I'm wondering if I should even be shooting it at all. I get a kind of paranoid guilt in the back of my head putting it in my range bag. What's everyone's thoughts on shooting collector's pieces?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

yeah, I havent shot my 30/30 yet...
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
      yeah, I havent shot my 30/30 yet...
      Lol you need to take that old girl out.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I need to take all of them out. I havent been to the range in a few months.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I dont know if i could Just let it sit, But id try not to shoot it as much and replace it with a cheaper newer Gi.

Comment

Personally, if it was worth that, I would stop shooting it. It amazes me on Pawn Stars when they shot a 1700's Blunderbuss.

I would keep it in a safe deposit box, or I have room for it in my safe if you want to keep it somewhere safe but accessible.

Comment

to me, if you can't take it out every once in a while, then it defeats the purpose of owning it. use it don't abuse it.
              Justin

Comment

If my family guns or whatever were never shot before, I don't shoot them.

If they were shot, I keep shooting them or will shoot them.

It's easy for me to sit here and say but I'd keep shooting it if you have fun with it. A gun from the 40s is pretty damned old though.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                  I've come to an odd point in my life where I fear shooting some of the guns I have now out of fear of damaging them and lowering their value. Primarily I have a 1943 Ithaca Navy M1911A1 from the pacific theater. Overall it is in pretty good condition for it's age, still has the original parkerizing, barrel, grips, etc. I would put a few mags through it each time I head out. However, at the market hall gun show I ran across the exact same year, make, and run of my pistol with a $3,500 price tag on it. Now I'm wondering if I should even be shooting it at all. I get a kind of paranoid guilt in the back of my head putting it in my range bag. What's everyone's thoughts on shooting collector's pieces?
                  That particular one, I'd definitely get appraised. If it's over $2000, I'd retire it.
                  If you want to shoot an old 1911, you're welcome to shoot mine.
                  "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

pics?
                    Originally posted by Jester
                    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                    Originally posted by Denny
                    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Do you ever plan to sell it? If not...that price tag doesn't mean anything. I think it'd be sad to retire a bad bitch like that. Just doesn't seem right...especially if you love to shoot it.

Comment

How many of these types of guns do you have? If paranoid, I'm not asking for a number. (just a lot or some...or a couple..etc - does ntor eally matter I guess anyway)

I've thought on this a little bit cause it is a decent problem. Do you have or plan to have kids?

The reason I ask all this is you should keep somethings to pass down from generation to generation. Granted our kids may just go on Pawn Stars and get 37 dollars for a 5000 dollar rifle or something. Still...

That's why what's given to me by Dad/family that has not been shot, won't be shot. One day I'll end up with all his guns and I'll shoot them all - except I'll retire his 30 06 winchester hunting rifle.

Of course, that's the sentimental side of me and family. Personally I have enough guns to shoot that I can live without shooting a few of them. However, I've not had to retire a favorite gun as of this time.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I have one gun that I probably wont ever shoot. Everything else that was rare, Ive sold off or in the process of. That being said, I shot everything I owned.

Im to the point now where I dont care to sit and look at shit right now and would rather play with guns.

Comment

CJ..

I can understand your concerns. I have a 1942 Colt that also ran around the Pacific for 4 years. The prices of these have climbed considerably these past years. As long as you take proper care of them (and looking at the restorations you have done thats sure not a problem) I don't think you'll devalue them with limited usage. Here's my 3 old timers that do go out occasionally. Enjoy them!

Bill

Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

I have colt SAA 38.40 from 1898 that I wouldn'thesitate to shoot. It's only been about 15 years since it was last shot. But I won't shoot my winchester 1873 44.40 anymore. It has a a very slight crack in the stock. I was told it was worth more with the original stock and to stop shooting it before. It breaks. I think it depends on the condition of the gun and not the age.

Comment

Working...
                              X