Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a gun just for sporting clay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a gun just for sporting clay?

If you read my other thread, my Stoeger 12ga. was giving me issues today during a sporting clay event. This is my field gun as well as what I practice with at the range. 1, I'm on a budget and don't really buy excessive guns, and 2) I like the idea of practicing with what I'll use in the field.

Since mine was out of commission, I was fortunate enough to finish the event using the other two gentlemen's guns. Once was a Winchester SX3 Sporting 12ga., ported barrel, some bad ass looking choke, etc. The kid uses it for some youth sporting clay club. The other was an over/under, not sure what kind it was though. Both of these guns were beautiful and looked expensive. They were light, I could tell they were better balanced and just nice ass guns. The action on the Winchester was smooth, when I raised both of them to shoot, they just went into position with minimal effort.

My Stoeger M3500 is somewhat heavy, or at least now I think so. It was an upgrade from a Mossberg pump so I was totally satisfied when I got it and totally enjoy shooting it. I just don't know that I could front the money for a nicer gun and it only be a sporting clay gun since I don't think I would ever take it out in the field.

What do you have/use?

The Benelli Montefeltro Sporting is probably the best deal going for a factory clays gun. It's hundreds of dollars cheaper than a Browning Sporting Clays, Winchester SX3 Sporting Clays, or a Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting. It's basically a 30" Córdoba with a wood stock, for $700ish less. It even has a high rib, which the regular Montefeltro does not.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I don't do any real sport shooting but I use my bird gun, benelli nova, for clays as well.

Comment

I love shooting clays, but I dont do it enough or "compete" to have a dedicated clay gun. I use my SBE2 as I hunt with it the most and like shooting it.

Comment

I use a Beretta 391 Eurika in 20g for everything. I'm just a ocassional clays shooter as I typically only shoot in the 80's in clays and 20's in skeet. 7/8 loads aren't ideal but I prefer the lack of recoil these days.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Stoeger M3000 no issues here. Seems certain models from every manufacture tend to be finicky about different things. (break in, loads, brand of ammo, weak shouldering, cleaning frequency, etc)
            WRX

Comment

Yeah
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I bought an over and under beretta I intended to use for sporting clays and just didn't care for it, so I went back to my trusty old 390. I would like to upgrade to a nice 391 or A400, in my opinion the beretta or benelli autos are the only way to go for sporting clays.

Comment

How often are you going to shoot clays? If it isn't that often, I recommend the tried and true Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. These are simply two of the most affordable, reliable and versatile shotguns ever. No firearms collection should be without one or the other.

I shoot clays a few times a year with a trusty old 870 and do a lot better than most people. Now my Jewish friend with his grandpas old Browning shoots clays like they are Nazis. He rarely misses. I'm just above average, but its not really something I do a lot or really pursue.

Comment

I use a Model 12 but I usually will not hit both when two birds are launched at the same time. Auto or over/under for sure!

Comment

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I have seen several people use the remington 1100 with no issue. I stumbled across a Krieghoff that I have used the couple times I have been.
                        sigpic

Comment

We shot in a competition a couple of weeks ago. Run what ya brung baby! The first year two of us had what we use on patrol, one guy had his Remington 1100, and the other had a decent semi auto but I can't recall what. We got 4th place, and we had a hell of a time. This year I walked up and my buddy said "where's your gun", I just pointed at his and we all laughed. One guy had a 20 gauge. We actually did worse this year but we still had a good time. We were "encouraged" to attend so not something we do a lot or take to seriously. This year they had a few high school teams. We made a few threats,to which they responded by still kicking the shit out of us. I bet they had some 2000 dollar guns and up. Not that the gun would of changed things, just sayin they had some nice set ups.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            Now that is tempting.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                              Now that is tempting.
                              it's had some pretty good reviews from the few shooting GTG's ive taken it to.

Hey guys, I have just got my residency status in the UK and I will be proceeding to obtain my shotgun certificate to go water fowling in the area next year (hopefully). I have checked with my council area and thames valley police department and I have confirmed that even though its an extensive process I can import a firearm

Comment

Working...
                              X