Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone interested in competition?

Gentlemen,

Sunday, March 6 Texas Tactical is holding a carbine match at the Austin Rifle Club located in North Austin. I realize that is a bit of a drive for most of you, but if you have ever been interested in participating in a shooting competition then this may appeal to you. So far I have shot with these guys twice and it has been an absolute blast. You also learn a lot about shooting by watching the really experienced guys participate.

This is a great entry level competition for those who have never done something like this before, and the match fee is only $25.

The equipment you need-
    1. A Centerfire Rifle, preferably with a sling or carry strap. (Any centerfire rifle that you might use to defend yourself or your family can be used)
    2. At least 2 Magazines.
    3. Approximately 100 rounds of ammunition. (bring extra just in case)
    4. A handgun and holster (for transitions or to finish a course of fire if your rifle malfunctions)
    5. Eye and Ear Protection

Classes-
    1. IRON SIGHTS - This division is for rifles using conventional iron sights.
    2. OPTICS - This division is for rifles equipped with scopes or any kind of electronic sighting device. IE: Aimpoints, Acogs, Reflex etc.
    3. LIMITED - This is for rifles with limited ammo capacity. IE: Camp Carbines, CCUs, Lever Actions etc. (You may only load to 10 rounds maximum in this division.)
    4. JUNIOR - This is for youngsters 17 years old and younger. (.22 Rimfire may be used in this division. IE: 10/22
    5. BATTLE RIFLE - This division is for large caliber battle rifles.
    6. .22 - This division is for .22 caliber rifles. This division is to allow people to shoot the less expensive rimfire ammo.
    7. CLASS 3- All fully automatic weapons fall into this category, rifle can be of any length, but all rifles must be legally possessed, any iron or optical sight is allowed.

More information can be found at http://texastactical.net/

I hope to see a few of you guys out there!
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Also, here is a video of me running one of the stages to get an idea of how everything happens-

Comment

My suggestion is don't do it.

If you do, you will be finding yourself spending insane amounts of money on guns/gear/ammo. Competitive shooting is an addiction.

Comment

It doesn't say you can't shoot your opponent when they're ahead. IN!

Comment

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
          It doesn't say you can't shoot your opponent when they're ahead. IN!
          Sorry Fiddy, I am afraid that would result in immediate disqualification, lol.

Rules-

I must also admit that the people watching is great. There is an interesting mix of ex military folks, LEOs, regular guys, and neckbeards all in one setting. All the gunrange stereotypes in one convenient place-

My favorite at the last one was a guy who stood about 5'6 talking about how he was in the Marine Corps, then was a private security contractor, got tired of "the whole contractor thing", and is now joining the army. He told me how "uncle sugar" paid for his aimpoint on his rifle and whatnot.
          Last edited by Moose242; 02-09-2011, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
            Sorry Fiddy, I am afraid that would result in immediate disqualification, lol.

Rules-
            http://texastactical.net/matches/Tex...ules_Dec05.doc
            Ahhh, fuck. WTF @ the you can't point the gun at yourself with the safety off and your finger on trigger. "I'm losing, fuck this, I quit! BANG!"

Comment

No mention of battle rifles iron or optics? Is it split?
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                No mention of battle rifles iron or optics? Is it split?
                1.6. Battle Rifle:
                • 1.6.1. 20 round maximum magazine capacity.
                • 1.6.2. Rifle must be of full legal length, at least a 16” barrel and 26” overall.
                • 1.6.3. Any iron or optical sight is allowed
                • 1.6.4. Rifle must be of at least 7.62x51 (308Rem) Other examples include 7.62x54R and 30.06

Last time there was a guy running an M1A out there and he was kicking ass. That fucker was a cannon compared to the 223 guns and it was fun watching him run the course.

Comment

My cousin and I are very interested...we have never been to one of these, so hopefully they will be nice to us (we are very safe shooters).

I'm going to let him use the OD DPMS that we built at Sonic's house before he shipped off last year.

One question, we are both very avid church goers and have to be in Church in Austin at 10:30a, why time does the match actually start? Can you be flexible in your times?

We don't mind signing up at 9:00am, grabbing some breakfast, worshipping, then heading back to the range.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                    My cousin and I are very interested...we have never been to one of these, so hopefully they will be nice to us (we are very safe shooters).

I'm going to let him use the OD DPMS that we built at Sonic's house before he shipped off last year.

One question, we are both very avid church goers and have to be in Church in Austin at 10:30a, why time does the match actually start? Can you be flexible in your times?

We don't mind signing up at 9:00am, grabbing some breakfast, worshipping, then heading back to the range.
                    The sign in lasts from 9:00 to 9:45 and the match begins immediately after.

Comment

the .22 class sounds cool if it wasn't so far away.
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                        The sign in lasts from 9:00 to 9:45 and the match begins immediately after.
                        But do you have to be present immediately after the sign up? I mean there are going to be a lot of people, can you request to be put at the end of the list and start at like noon or later?

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                          But do you have to be present immediately after the sign up? I mean there are going to be a lot of people, can you request to be put at the end of the list and start at like noon or later?
                          That matches end usually around 12:30-1:00. You would probably miss the first two stages if you left.

Comment

I really really want to attend. Why in the hell did they have to hold it on my Mother's birthday!? **grumble grumble**

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon-k View Post
                              I really really want to attend. Why in the hell did they have to hold it on my Mother's birthday!? **grumble grumble**
                              Yeah it sucks, I want to go but I do not miss church, or one of those round would ricochet into my skull as punishment.

Comment

Working...
                              X